traditional knives in movies

I don't know why I didn't thing of this before, but in "The Eiger Sanction" Clint Eastwood uses a SAK to cut himself free of a climbing rope he's dangling from, so he can be rescued by George Kennedy and the rope Kennedy had tossed him at the end of the movie.

Model of SAK is unknown, but it is at least a three layer one.

Last edited:
I don't know why I didn't thing of this before, but in "The Eiger Sanction" Clint Eastwood uses a SAK to cut himself free of a climbing rope he's dangling from, so he can be rescued by George Kennedy and the rope Kennedy had tossed him at the end of the movie.

Model of SAK is unknown, but it is at least a three layer one.
And the German guy who doesn't think we'll make it, but we'll continue with style, has a switchblade to cut off worn rope ends.

Knife0603.jpg

Can anyone identify this lockback? This is the knife Tom Wopat carried as Luke Duke. It reminds me of a Browning or Gerber but I can’t identify the model
The scroll work on the bolsters reminds me of a fancy Schrade barlow.

I apologize if this movie was already mentioned in this thread; I tried to check back through the pages, but each page on Bladeforums takes forever to load on my IPad.

Night of the Hunter (1955). Robert Mitchum played a serial killing preacher whose weapon of choice was a switchblade. In this jail cell scene, the switchblade appears from about 1:30:

Jim

Great film, though I haven't seen it in years I'm afraid. I was looking for the cinema scene the other week, but that's better :D :thumbsup:

Phantasm.

It looks like a Buck 124 Frontiersman, at 0:54:

Jim
So it does.
I think I remember that movie. Why chase the kid? Didn't he have a flying orb with prongs to stick in foreheads and a drill to pierce brains?

Virus (1998).

The knife is opened at the very beginning. It’s a clip blade of what might be a stockman. From 0:46, knife is then used to examine the brain of the body on the table. A better look at the blade at 0:57.

Jim

I can't count how many MK2'S and Western W49's I've seen carried by bad guys on Gunsmoke and Bonanza, of course those aren't movies.

In general the 60's + western movies / shows were more accurate than the earlier stuff, but the shirts always have too many buttons, the boots are often wrong, leather vests never existed, and the knives were often just stuff from the local hardware store.

Way of the Dragon (1972).

Alley fight. There are a few knives here, but a couple are probably just generic hunting-style knives. One knife shown fairly clearly is some kind of hunting knife at 3:06. The guy in the yellow top has either a switchblade or some kind of large traditional jackknife with bolsters, at 3:18.

Rescue scene. Paul Wei (pink tie guy) pulls a classic Italian-style switchblade on Bruce Lee at 2:24. Earlier in the scene, the knife was shown more clearly when he was using it to threaten the girl (Nora Miao). But AFAIK, that part of the scene isn’t on YouTube.

Jim

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

At 2:29, the crazy hitchhiker snatches Franklin’s pocketknife (probably a Camillus scout knife).

At 4:26, the crazy hitchhiker pulls out his own straight razor.

Unfortunately, since whoever posted this video has disabled playback on other websites, this is only a link to watch it on YouTube.

Jim

All these "knives in movies" used with "bad intentions". :mad:
Is it any wonder that society frowns on a simple pocket knife?

I agree with you. But...

Even if movies and TV shows always showed pocketknives in a positive light, much of society would still be afraid of pocketknives. Especially nowadays. There is (or at least was) a new MacGyver that features (or featured) Victorinox SAKs in a positive light. Supposedly the show is (or was) fairly popular. I highly doubt that it influenced many people’s perceptions of pocketknives. The old MacGyver influenced people back in the 80s, but many people were still scared of pocketknives then, too.

Much of society will always be afraid of knives, especially ones that fold and can be carried around in a pocket, regardless of how they are portrayed.

Jim

Back