traditional knives in movies

OK, I’ve finally gone through the whole thread, so I’m sure these weren’t mentioned by anyone else:

John Carpenter’s The Thing: Clark (Richard Masur) has a Buck 110 or similar.

Child’s Play 3: What appears to be a Buck 500 series lock back, carried by one of the boys.

Charlie’s Angels (2000): Lucy Liu uses an SAK from about 0:21.

Jim

Not a movie but on a couple recent episodes of the show Moonshiners Tim Smith used what I'm pretty sure is an Old Timer
34 or 33 OT.
Once to eat Vienna sausages from the can. that's about as traditional as it gets.

On an episode of the Travel Channel paranormal show Terror in the Woods, in a reenactment of a lone hiker who sets up camp and has a bigfoot encounter, the actor playing the hiker uses either a nylon-handled SAK, or an SAK lookalike to cut an apple.

I don’t know the name of the episode. It might have just been “Bigfoot Encounter.”

Jim

Not a movie but on a couple recent episodes of the show Moonshiners Tim Smith used what I'm pretty sure is an Old Timer
34 or 33 OT.
Once to eat Vienna sausages from the can. that's about as traditional as it gets.
I saw that!! There's one episode where they are all cutting peaches and there's OTs and Trappers stuck in the table everywhere. Lone Star Law shows quite a few knives too. I've got to get some pics.

This one has been mentioned in this thread before, but those mentions did not include a screenshot, so I'll mention it again. In The Grand Budapest Hotel, there's a brief shot of a desk (belonging to the character played by Willem Dafoe) which includes a black-handled (compressed fiber? Bexoid?) British Army (Navy?) clasp knife with a sheepsfoot blade and a marlin spike. I don't really know much about this type of knife, but perhaps someone else can offer some insight. The film (at least the part in which the knife appears) is set in 1932.

cVIwIl8.png

This one has been mentioned in this thread before, but those mentions did not include a screenshot, so I'll mention it again. In The Grand Budapest Hotel, there's a brief shot of a desk (belonging to the character played by Willem Dafoe) which includes a black-handled (compressed fiber? Bexoid?) British Army (Navy?) clasp knife with a sheepsfoot blade and a marlin spike. I don't really know much about this type of knife, but perhaps someone else can offer some insight. The film (at least the part in which the knife appears) is set in 1932.

cVIwIl8.png

Well spotted Barrett, the screwdriver gives that away as a British Navy Knife, with moulded alloy handles, like the one below, except that the one in the film is a later version with a steel shackle. I forget when the pattern was introduced, but I think it was immediately before WW2, with the steel shackles coming in in 1941.

56kAR51.jpg

A shame my old Military Clasp Knife thread is such a mess these days, with most of the photos now missing :(

In butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid a member of their gang pulls out a western 49 Bowie to have a knife fight with butch, but that knife fight obviously never happens.

Sorcerer (1977).

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this movie. The folder was shown a couple times in the movie. In the scene below, the man is shown using it from around 0:53; a slightly better view of it is at 1:10, and again at about 1:41. It looks to be an Okapi folder, perhaps?

Jim

Sorcerer (1977).

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this movie. The folder was shown a couple times in the movie. In the scene below, the man is shown using it from around 0:53; a slightly better view of it is at 1:10, and again at about 1:41. It looks to be an Okapi folder, perhaps?

Jim
Gosh you'd think them fella's was setting off a atomic bomb lol.

Here's a clip point fixed blade from this week's episode of American Gods.

Acr1uQo.png

BZwaJQO.png

Here you can see it in its sheath. There's no clear closeup shot of the handle, but it looks like bone or stag.

ZSrbhj8.png

Cool Barrett :cool: I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, so I will go there now! :D :) :thumbsup:

Back