Votes: 0 0.0%

• A2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been very impressed with the 4V so far. A co worker also bought a 4V knife and wants another one.
After cleaning a deer and not cleaning until the process was finished, I did notice a few spots of staining on the blade. More discoloration than a stain.

Obviously this is very early in the polling process, but 10V is proving pretty popular.
Given the amount of previous discussion regarding corrosion resistance I'm surprised.
I may have to get a 4V mule just so I can do a kitchen comparison, but my experience with 10V in the kitchen is that it patinas slightly with months of use.
In direct comparison I've seen no discoloration on 3V kitchen knives, despite the fact that my practice is to just wipe them clean and then drop them into the block while damp.
I don't deliberately leave my kitchen knives dirty, but I also don't clean them until I'm done using them to prepare a meal.
This poll could become interesting. If I was in the pool for one of these I'd probably want S90V.

If I had two votes, I'd vote s90v. After reading about the spyderco proficient, I think that would be awesome in a kephart

Here is information about 10V in the kitchen, with pics.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1321318-The-tomatoes-are-in?p=15168113#post15168113

It's been 4 months since I posted that. I've left it sit for an hour before washing it off and cleaning it, several times. The knife is fine. The patina isn't that pronounced, it hasn't changed that much since those photos. 10V can withstand corrosive environments as long as a user cleans it off in a timely manner. However, it will pit if neglected. It does need maintenance.

Performance wise, it's a sweet sweet steel. Sharpens nicely. I won't be voting for it though due to cost consciousnesses.

Even though traditional would mean a carbon steel.. my vote is for... :)

I don't think I remember the reasoning that would make me decide to pay $250 for a knife in alloy X but then decide to draw the line at paying $300 for the same knife in alloy Y.
I also used to think that $100 was an awful lot to spend on a knife.
I think that custom knife buying has distorted some of my perspectives. :)

I voted for 3v but in the end I know I will be happy with any knife that Chris makes.

That was actually kind of funny. The first 10 votes make it clear that there really is no majority. Chris, looks like you'll just have to take this one over and make what's best.

As of this writing there are 11 votes. I didn't vote. That means random people are showing up and voting, which will diverge choices/events.

Last edited:
As of this writing there are 11 votes. I didn't vote. That means random people are showing up and voting, which will diverge choices/events.

Who you callin' random ? :)
There might have been more than 10 people interested. Chris said he needed 10, but that does not mean anyone beyond the 10th visible person is random or should not vote!! Anyway, we can see who voted and how, so not like they are anonymous.

Even if 20 people vote it doesn't look like there is a clear winner. Honestly though 10V and S90V are pretty exciting.

Pretty sure both were mentioned. Chris said they would be on the expensive side but when has that ever stopped anyone here on bf?

S90v (or heck, S110v) would be my top pick, but I would be very happy with 10v or M4 as well.

I have a Big Chris puukko in thin-stock 10v and it's a killer steel that I'm extremely happy using.

I was weighting 3v vs 4v assuming that s90v was out of question. However if stainless is in, my vote is for s90, and I would be glad if s110v is considered too. I know it is more expensive but this is "bulk" production so costs of materials would be down somewhat.

?.. Chris said they would be on the expensive side but when has that ever stopped anyone here on bf?
+1

It looks like we're getting plenty more votes than we thought so I'll close the thread. Looks like s90v wins out. We love to spend !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back