Traditional wallet vs. minimalist vs. other?

Here is my dilemma: I have carried the traditional leather tri-fold wallet since day one. My pockets are bursting with stuff... keys, phone, pocket knife, notepads, etc. I am looking at going to a satchel (man purse?) to get some stuff, but not all, off body.

For those that rock the minimalist wallets, what do you keep in the wallet and what is carried else where? How do I "thin the herd" so to speak? I'm a writer and journal a lot, so the satchel will have my tablets and pens in, and perhaps I will keep my phone in there as well. Its a work in progress.

Thanks for the replies!

I have a Kisetsu Natsu. It's really tiny, holds 7 cards, 4-6 coins and 5 notes.

Here is my dilemma: I have carried the traditional leather tri-fold wallet since day one. My pockets are bursting with stuff... keys, phone, pocket knife, notepads, etc. I am looking at going to a satchel (man purse?) to get some stuff, but not all, off body.

For those that rock the minimalist wallets, what do you keep in the wallet and what is carried else where? How do I "thin the herd" so to speak? I'm a writer and journal a lot, so the satchel will have my tablets and pens in, and perhaps I will keep my phone in there as well. Its a work in progress.

Thanks for the replies!
I carry an RFid bifold which is much more compact than my old leather wallet 20201227_121652.jpg

I carry the Tom Binh Nik's minimalist wallet. It holds 8-10 cards, and has an integrated elastic band to hold it shut. If I have cash, I usually fold it between the two sides, and the elastic band keeps it all together.

Before that, I had been carrying a cheap bi-fold business card holder that eventually fell apart. Here's the review that convinced me to get it: https://everyday-commentary.squares...9/2/10/tom-bohn-niks-minimalist-wallet-review

Recently got one of these:
https://craftandlore.com/products/the-port-wallet

I am loving it. Right now as I type this out, I have this in it:
  • Credit Card
  • Debit Card
  • Drivers Lisence
  • Bottle opener card thingy
  • 3 thin paper cards for health/dental/vision insurance cards
  • 6 bills tri-folded in the front pocket.
I also carry my wallet in my front left pocket.

I switched to a minimalist wallet about seven years ago, switching pockets at the same time (from RRP to FRP), and have never looked back nor missed my old traditional wallet.

My current Recycled Firefighter wallet (the "Fire Hose Sergeant") holds the handful of cards I need plus 3-5 folded-up bills. I haven't used coins (apart from the ones I keep in my truck's console for tolls) in 20+ years, and rarely pay cash for anything. A minimalist wallet helped force me to trim out what I really didn't need -- and saved my lower back in the process. (Sitting on a huge wallet sucks.)

My daily carry is light: wallet, lip balm, phone, knife, keys. If I need a larger flashlight than the one on my keyring, I pocket one of those as well. If I need more than that, I bring a bag. I can't stand carrying a lot of stuff in my pockets. :)

Carry a Kinzd wallet.. Inexpensive.. Wont go back to a regular wallet.. Carry's all I need.. JMO..
John

I’ve carried a slim front pocket wallet for over 20 years. I carry about 8 cards and a little cash. I’ve gone through several from Duluth Trading( they last about 5 years max), and a couple department store wallets that my wife gets me as gifts, but they may make a year or two. 2 weeks ago I ordered a Ridge wallet but it was lost in shipping, order was canceled and reorder. I’ll see if this one makes it.

My wife started making these "card wallets" as she calls them years ago. She uses chap leather remnants from different legging/chap projects we do. She has settled on this water buffalo for these card wallets and other items she makes from this leather like notebook covers have been so popular, she now buys the leather specifically for her projects. I switched from a trifold 5/6 years ago that held all the stuff I thought I had to have with me, to one of these. A few cards, id and a handful of business cards. I carry this in my left front jeans pocket. The trifold still has all that stuff I had to have, but it lives in the safe ever since I got this deal. Turned out didn't need all that stuff after all. Little slot on the front for a few bills good to go.

aF2ChtV.jpg

q6QzOdh.jpg

KlyN79K.jpg

A buddy across the way bought one. Came back and took a handful to his work, came back that evening and got another handful for his work. My son is a working cowboy. Sitting on a wallet in your saddle all day don't work and lots of times that dang thing wants to work its way out of the pocket and fall off in the sage brush somewhere. He asked my wife to come up with a magnet one for holding more cash. So now she's got two versions:

KzBv3RT.jpg

vjr3PjL.jpg

Kinda a funny deal. As ranchers were pretty handy with a branding irons. The wife burning a couple:

OvvXPsU.jpg

UVwGEYZ.jpg

moFXHXp.jpg

Anyhoo since this chap leather is of a softer tannage, our regular maker's mark stamp doesn't make an impression. So she called up the guy that makes our cattle brands and had him build another electric brand for her. Its a full size brand like pictured above but only burns a small Horsewright. Works good on this stuff. She brands em on the backside:

Vh57qEd.jpg

Not me. I have a big fat bi-fold wallet that holds a bunch of stuff. It is also made to block card readers. And I don't carry it in my back pockets.

I went from normal, nylon bifold that I carried for thirty years or so, to extra large, Spec ops the wallet for another ten years or so. A few years ago I wanted to slim down too and I really liked the look of the metal framed wallets. After a couple of disappointments, I got a Dango t02 three pocket bifold in titanium. It's turning out to be the best wallet I've ever carried. I left the included metal multitool thingy in the wallet because I think its neat to open beers with my wallet, but honestly, other than that, the tool has provided no real utility. If I needed the space I could and would ditch it. I carry about 12 cards total including my drivers license and insurance cards and it is about as full as I want it to get. I've always carried Right Front Pocket (You could cram more in it but then it would be difficult to find and remove what you want, as it is, the insurance cards are in the space with the multitool where they really aren't easily accessible...but luckily seldom used.)

My only real problem with it is the same problem I had with every other wallet. I get a receipt, a business card, or a gift card and I stick it in the wallet. Carrying this smaller wallet means that cleaning out the wallet is a much more regular occurrence.

I am not a great fan of having to fold cash in thirds to put under the band, but I never use cash much so it's not really a bother. I carry cash, it's there when I need it, securely held.

Probably the best part of the Dango is when going to a drive thru. First, much easier to pull out of my pocket when sitting in a car. Next, it is small enough to dump into my shirt pocket when leaving the drive thru. Before this change, I regularly left my wallet in the car as I forgot to get it upon exiting the car or I would need to retrieve it from the floorboard where it had fallen.

The next best part is my right front pocket is now available to carry other stuff instead of just my wallet. I usually carry my knife in that pocket but often my keys or whatever tool I happen to be needing as well.

Grizz

I have a traditional leather bi-fold wallet, because I like to have the bills laying out naturally. Never liked the money clip style of the slim wallets. Found a RFID blocking card and tucked that in there too. Tested the blocking card with one of my tap credit cards at the gas pump, and it did indeed prevent the credit card from being read.

For the past 20 years or so I've carried one like the magnet one Horsewright posted above. In fact, I'm overdue for a new one but haven't been able to find the perfect one, so I'm glad to see that one posted. I keep it minimal and carry the few cards needed, and then some bills which fold the proper way in that type of clip. When I carry more cash I carry that in a metal money clip in my other pocket. I've looked into alot of these new "EDC" wallets, but none seem to be exactly what I want, particularly the ones with metal frames which seem like they would bang against my pocket folder.

I haven't carried a back pocket folding wallet since the velcro days as a kid. On that note, I'm reminded of this:

Money clip since 98, got one on my honeymoon. 3 cards, and cash. In RFP goes my ducktape "wallet" that holds my timecard, some passwords for work, and if I'm flush more bills. LRP small notepad. RRP flashlight.

I rarely carry cash anymore. And when I do, it’s just two or three bills (unless I’m going on a trip where I need to take a stash of cash, in which case I don’t want to put all that in a traditional wallet anyway).

That said, I too have been a traditional wallet guy. However, I have recently made the transition to the minimalist wallet world. I now I have a few what I consider to be “good ones” in my inventory ;), my favorite being one I found on Etsy (shop name: Leattweed) that allows me to carry a bit of cash, all the cards I need, *and* my Fellhoelter Frikky Folder & Leatherman PS4 Squirt (see pics), which I used to have free-floating in my pockets. It works as either a front pocket or back pocket carry for me (note, I did mod it by adding the extra rear card slot for quick access to my Amex, which is my most frequently used card). I have another model on order now from this shop that is just a tad bigger, will see if I like it even more, regardless though, I definitely dig this EDC wallet/organizer!

D547CDCE-411B-435B-A5EB-96EAEDBD1011.jpeg A8171588-2154-436F-9153-448807BA72BB.jpeg

I've always used a bi-fold wallet. I've tried tri-folds, money clips, card holders, etc, but never really liked them. I decided I wanted to try minimalist wallet, so I bought a Ridge wallet last year. Although I've given it a serious effort several times, the longest it ever lasted was a few days. I just keep going back to my bi-fold, because that just works for me.

Did somebody say minimalist wallet?
Don't get more minimal than these.
https://spinewallet.com/
Just got mine. I have 7 cards on one side and folded cash on the other side.
However, there's nothing stopping you from putting a lot more cards in it.
It's good, but it could be better. The wallet is barely wider than the cards, and unfortunately, the rubber band doesn't settle in the notches. It's tight, though, so nothing falls out. If it were maybe 1/8" wider, it wouldn't have this problem. I still love it though as it takes up almost no room in my front pocket.
SpinesonWood3_large.jpg

Last edited:
I received a new more minimalist wallet for Christmas but I noticed the same thing I notice each time just changing out a wallet I actually look at what I have accumulated in it and removed so much excess from it. The key difference in the newest wallet from my last is there was no opening for cash but it does include a money clip and there are fewer "slots" for cards and such. I hope this helps keep it trim for me. I haven't had a tri-fold in decades I have always disliked them and preferred bi-fold wallets. I really wanted to try and find a very old school long bi-fold checkbook type wallet/billfold but those are difficult to find if you can't or don't want to spend the money.

Back