Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

None of these were inherited, but they are all treasured. Griswold Nos. 3, 5, 7, 8 and a Wagner National No. 9.

I just finished stripping and reseasoning this No. 6 for my daughter. It'll be hers and the pan she learns to cook on. I think it's a good size to learn on, not too heavy for a ten-year-old to use, but substantial enough to build up strength.

These next couple of shots show why vintage pans are held in such high regard. The smooth inner surface is beautiful and mesmerizing.

50734734286_1ea72131ea_c.jpg

Last edited:
Those are all very handsome. My personal favorite is a Griswold number 6, that should be great to teach your daughter! My kids aren't yet old enough to be interested is such things, but I really hope they get there. Good luck. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D I know I feel fortunate to have learned to cook on cast iron, my dad, grandad and I still talk about it all the time, truly can become a family institution that everyone can share.

And to be honest, lodge at (at least in my opinion) makes a great product... Never have I ever had a problem with the quality of the cookware I've had from them. Sure, the factory seasoning leaves a bit to be desired, but in all honesty that to me is nothing different from having to sharpen a knife fresh from the factory

I have found a shop close to me that sells them over here, i am going to get one tomorrow, i always season my new ones, after i sand the surface down a bit. A friend of mine has one that her father had made by a blacksmith who also did casting over 100 years ago, it is just fantastic to cook with. It was made with a smooth cooking surface, and is the best non stick surface you could imagine especially after all the seasoning that it has had over all those years. She has never used any soap or detergent on it since she has had it, and is pretty sure her father or mother never did either. I have been doing some research after i saw this thread, i have always loved cooking with cast iron but lost my old pan i had in a move, so when i saw a lodge available locally i thought this is karma. It will cost me the equivalent of $45 US which including postage is a good price, you pay between $15-$35 US here for absolute Chinese rubbish, i still have an old 8 inch that i have had for a while but need a bigger one. I found an american maker called Smithey who makes cast iron pans and skillets, do you know much about him, seems to be keen to retain old American traditions. Any way thanks for your comments, i was going to get one anyway, but hearing from someone who actually uses them is a big help.:thumbsup:

None of these were inherited, but they are all treasured. Griswold Nos. 3, 5, 7, 8 and a Wagner National No. 9.

I just finished stripping and reseasoning this No. 6 for my daughter. It'll be hers and the pan she learns to cook on. I think it's a good size to learn on, not too heavy for a ten-year-old to use, but substantial enough to build up strength.

These next couple of shots show why vintage pans are held in such high regard. The smooth inner surface is beautiful and mesmerizing.

You have a fine collection there my friend.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Those are all very handsome. My personal favorite is a Griswold number 6, that should be great to teach your daughter! My kids aren't yet old enough to be interested is such things, but I really hope they get there. Good luck. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D I know I feel fortunate to have learned to cook on cast iron, my dad, grandad and I still talk about it all the time, truly can become a family institution that everyone can share.

I didn't grow up with cast iron and discovered them on my own. Everything I know I learned the hard way, much the same way it was with me and spring knives.

I found an american maker called Smithey who makes cast iron pans and skillets, do you know much about him, seems to be keen to retain old American traditions.

No experience with Smithey, but it looks to be a fine product. I think they're the heaviest of the new artisanal offerings, with weights close to that of their Lodge counterparts.

The thing that jumps out at me with these new pans is the importance of form factor. Being so new to the market, none of them have pulled away from the pack and distinguished themselves as "best in class." So the main thing I judge them on is appearance. The one I want the most is the marque that comes closest to vintage appearance (IMHO) and the one with most comfortable looking handle.

You have a fine collection there my friend.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks. I didn't intend to get so many. But like with knives, you can't stop at just one.

You are makin me hungry Mr. BIG-F-T !!! :D
But you just gotta tell me about the two eggs???? ;) Is one a Banty and the other a Goose egg?
Anyway your spell worked on me! :)
Last nights supper was....Breakfast!! :eek:
View attachment 1471742
View attachment 1471743
View attachment 1471744

Buckwheat Cake, Links and eggs!! :cool:

Dave

Cudgel, the small egg is a normal large Chicken egg. The big egg is a goose egg. Apparenrly, the good egg was a bit larger than normal goose eggs.

Lady I used to work with has quite a few animals.

I was not at all sure what to do with an egg that large, so I went with sweet crepes......

Let's just say it took me a long time to cook all the crepes on that tiny flat pan.....

It sure made more than we could eat at once!!

Last edited:
I am in the process of seasoning my new Lodge fry pan, will post some pics when done to try and keep the thread relevant before Christmas. Hopefully we will see some great food cooked in cast iron posted over Christmas time. Here are a couple of pics, with traditional's, of my 8 inch go to fry pan for steak for one and eggs.:thumbsup:
g20ysIs.jpg

RBSPy6M.jpg

BEAUTIFUL set of Cast Kamagong!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool:

Here is that Bigger skillet that my friend left me.....
only marking on it are JUMBO Skillet and Made in U.S.A.
It's 20 inches across!! o_O And a regular boat anchor!! ;)
IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2903.jpg
IMG_2906.jpg

Had to use the flash to be able to read the casting. So the knives don't show up as well, the 2 Hunters I put with this photo were both acquired at the Oregon Show a couple years back.

Dave

Thank Dave. I only intended to get myself a nice piece of vintage iron, but I kept coming across others in different sizes. Knowing they aren't getting any cheaper I picked them up whenever I saw good condition pans in useful sizes. I still want to pick up a No. 10 and a rectangular griddle.

The thing about cast iron pans is that they're sort of self-limiting, unlike knives. There's only so much space in the kitchen to store these heavy hunks of metal.

I've been reading up on some of the newer offerings and many of the comments leave me shaking my head. There are more than a few people out there that get downright upset when the seasoning on their new premium pans comes off after the first use. o_O...:rolleyes:...??? It's cast iron, it's not a teflon pan. Seasoning a pan is an ongoing process. Even if some comes off (and it always does), so what? Seasoning is self-healing and always comes back. Even more, it gets better over time. No new pan is going to compare to one that has been carefully cultivated over years.

Even more, it gets better over time. No new pan is going to compare to one that has been carefully cultivated over years.
So correct, i don't want to start an argument or upset members, but what you say is a society issue in a lot of ways. A lot of people now want everything " Yesterday ". It is like a favorite knife, it develops with use over time. You have a good and safe Christmas.:).

I've had this Lodge 14" for a few years and usually it's reserved for fried chicken, arroser steak and SPAM of course. ;)
This thread prompted some finer conditioning this week to use for eggs.
Put together a frittata for brunch on the stovetop then under the broiler to finish.
Even though it's a modern Lodge skillet I think it's up to snuff, the frittata just slid right out.:)
FsETtSo.jpg

zYBk51h.jpg

I've used water and soap plus a paste of salt to clean pans that got abused. I cook with tomatoes and butter too. No problems, rarely have to do even minor reseasoning.

I do have a 40yo small 2 egg pan that only sees eggs until my family member who is a chef visits and puts god only knows what in it :) A friend who is a chef has an egg-only pan too.

Canola is short hand for Canada Oil, which comes from a rapeseed plant. Canola oil is a more politically correct name than rapeseed oil. Plus the dominant species for commercial oil was bred in Canada.

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

My canola oil comment was more meant to be tongue in cheek. Along the same lines as never seeing nipples on an almond. 1609006518761730959924.jpg

My lodge egg pan and 2020 BF swayback.
Violators of the egg pan sanctity are subject to bearings with same in my house...:rolleyes:

Back