Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

This thread is relevant to me. My cast iron collection is larger than my traditional knife collection, though I was much less critical of some of my early cast iron purchases compared to knives. Been buying cast iron for a couple years, and like using it. All my current cast iron cooking pics don't have knives in them :(, so I grabbed some knives and threw them in the cast iron cabinet. All the iron in the pic is 70's or older vintage.

3IztyyN.jpg

This thread is relevant to me. My cast iron collection is larger than my traditional knife collection, though I was much less critical of some of my early cast iron purchases compared to knives. Been buying cast iron for a couple years, and like using it. All my current cast iron cooking pics don't have knives in them :(, so I grabbed some knives and threw them in the cast iron cabinet. All the iron in the pic is 70's or older vintage.

3IztyyN.jpg

That's a nice collection:thumbsup: My selection of both knives and pans is rather limited, but both play a pretty big part in my daily activities... I really enjoy seeing others cast iron and knives though:)

I have a cast iron frying pan that I like a lot, but I bought one of these about 10 years ago and hated it. I bought it to mainly cook hamburgers indoors. It was made by Lodge, and came seasoned. I realize the "store bought" seasoning is not as good as the do it yourself kind. This pan was a sticking machine! I bought some of the plastic (or what ever they are made out of) cleaning thingies, to try to make the job easier. It literally took me 3 or 4 times longer to clean the pan than cook the meal. It may have been a great steak cooker, but hamburger meat would stick between the ridges like crazy. I happily gave it away!
Larry

image.jpeg

I have a cast iron frying pan that I like a lot, but I bought one of these about 10 years ago and hated it. I bought it to mainly cook hamburgers indoors. It was made by Lodge, and came seasoned. I realize the "store bought" seasoning is not as good as the do it yourself kind. This pan was a sticking machine! I bought some of the plastic (or what ever they are made out of) cleaning thingies, to try to make the job easier. It literally took me 3 or 4 times longer to clean the pan than cook the meal. It may have been a great steak cooker, but hamburger meat would stick between the ridges like crazy. I happily gave it away!
Larry

View attachment 1297556

Those ridges are definitely tough to clean. I stick with using the smooth bottomed pans. I also season any new pans I get even if they come pre seasoned...

Larry

View attachment 1297556
The key is to run the hot pan under the hottest water you can get from the faucet.
Never had a problem cleaning anything from my skillet this way.
You also want to act like the " pre seasoning " isn't even there.
It's a quick one shot process that's only there so they can legally call it pre seasoned to appeal to lazy people.
You still gotta season it yourself.

I have a similar pan like that I got from a thrift shop. I seasoned it like I do my other cast iron pans. When looking up info on it, I recall reading that when using those grill pans, oil the meat, not the pan. I've only used mine a couple times, but I recall it working for steaks and I think, pork chops. I poured hot water into the hot pan a few times and steamed the crud off.
Larry

View attachment 1297556

I cook mostly on cast iron. Never ever use soap or detergent while washing cast iron anything. Really hot water and scotch brite or a metal mesh. Wash, rinse, dry, thin bacon grease. My bacon and egg pan doesn't get washed, grease poured out and wiped with paper towels. Been doing it for years and I ain't dead yet.

I cook mostly on cast iron. Never ever use soap or detergent while washing cast iron anything. Really hot water and scotch brite or a metal mesh. Wash, rinse, dry, thin bacon grease. My bacon and egg pan doesn't get washed, grease poured out and wiped with paper towels. Been doing it for years and I ain't dead yet.
That's exactly how I learned too. I have found the plastic pan scrapers to be nice though...

Always preheat a pan before adding food. Always. If food is sticking to a pan, it's not hot enough. That rule applies to any and every uncoated metal cooking surface. (Teflon and other non-stick surface applications exempted.) It also doesn't matter if the pan is flat, concave like a wok, or ridged like a grill pan. Iron and steel don't change their intrinsic physical heat transfer qualities by transforming shape.

Every pro kitchen anywhere has pans pre-heated ready to be used quickly.

Any food will stick to a cold pan. Seasoning a pan or griddle is a separate issue.

Last edited:

3IztyyN.jpg

Now thats just dang cool!

Here we go dinner Thursday evening:

PwROFHp.jpg

2u30k84.jpg

Excellent thread idea, I cook probably 95% of our food in cast iron, I was going to post this is still hot but my kids attacked it so.....
RK02GAc.jpg

So the reality is this didn’t have time to cool
aQGw2n7.jpg

Homemade cornbread with the last of my first boil of the season maple syrup if the wind dies down I’ve got a good many hours of boiling to do today, but that means buttermilk pancakes tomorrow

Excellent thread idea, I cook probably 95% of our food in cast iron, I was going to post this is still hot but my kids attacked it so.....
RK02GAc.jpg

So the reality is this didn’t have time to cool
aQGw2n7.jpg

Homemade cornbread with the last of my first boil of the season maple syrup if the wind dies down I’ve got a good many hours of boiling to do today, but that means buttermilk pancakes tomorrow

There is only one way to cook cornbread, and it appears that you have it down pat. :thumbsup::D

Bacon cooks best if started in a cold pan. If I preheat the pan, the first batch inevitably sticks. Doesn't happen if I place those initial rashers in a cold pan.

That's correct. And an apparent anomaly. But what you are doing is slowly rendering fat. Over a low heat. That's entirely different than high heat saute work where you need to sear food fast and not have it stick.

Bacon cooks best if started in a cold pan. If I preheat the pan, the first batch inevitably sticks. Doesn't happen if I place those initial rashers in a cold pan.
Never start with a cold pan. Keep a small container handy (I use a 1 cup size glass measuring cup) with bacon grease in it. When you cook on the pan put a bit of grease on it before you start cooking. Get it up to temp, throw in the bacon, no sticking. Just don't get it too hot. It should sizzle a bit but not curl up as soon as it hits the pan. Don't clean the pan either other than a quick rinse and wipe while its still warm. When you are done cooking the bacon, pour the grease in the pan into the container.
Not sure what you are using, but not all cast iron is the same. Newer stuff is garbage compared to older stuff like Griswold. New pans are very porous and food does tend to stick a lot easier no matter what you do.

Back