Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

We quite often use creamed corn as well. The jalapenos sound interesting, but unfortunately this guy doesn't do peppers well...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

1607212518912311559042.jpg
The onset of early darkness has me looking for ways to fill my evenings...
Time to render down a batch of lard. Forum knife and an old Villiage Blacksmith cleaver that I was gifted when a friend moved out of state that I cleaned up and put back into service in a kitchen (he'd been using it to chop roots and do lawn care stuff).

We quite often use creamed corn as well. The jalapenos sound interesting, but unfortunately this guy doesn't do peppers well...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
You can use chilies instead, they are milder than jalapenos... Hatch chilies are the best.... come from Hatch, New Mexico....

edit.... you can also use frozen corn instead of creamed. Creamed corn usually has a high sugar content that I don't care for.

You can use chilies instead, they are milder than jalapenos... Hatch chilies are the best.... come from Hatch, New Mexico....

edit.... you can also use frozen corn instead of creamed. Creamed corn usually has a high sugar content that I don't care for.
Gonna have to give the frozen corn a try...:thumbsup:
I usually put a little maple syrup in the batter to sweeten it up a bit. I'll also dig around for some of those hatch peppers. I'm about due for a chili night here.

My military buddy sent me this tomahawk a couple days ago. He was 21 and I was 19 and would use his Florida ID to get into bars in San Diego (1993). Time fliesView attachment 1468086
That's an awesome gift! I remember sneaking into bars with IDs that weren't mine too, but that was in about 2007 or 8... Still seems like a long while ago.

Edited to add: how about some info on your pan? That looks too smooth to be a Lodge...

I've been using Lodge carbon steel pans for a few months now... they work much better on my glass stove top. I've got the smaller one seasoned pretty well, because I use it more frequently, but the larger one is coming along. I've been experimenting with buttermilk biscuits lately, and am still playing with the "time". These were not quite brown enough, but they were done.... since there's not a traditional knife in the pic, I added one to go along with it... :p

VYdtixd.jpg
YKw64ra.jpg

That's an awesome gift! I remember sneaking into bars with IDs that weren't mine too, but that was in about 2007 or 8... Still seems like a long while ago.

Edited to add: how about some info on your pan? That looks too smooth to be a Lodge...
You called it Willie! Cooking can include a smoke alarm for me, there may be a line between seasoned and abused.
I don’t take credit for the sharpening job on this case. My dad and his cousin would give one another a pocket knife for Christmas (snapped off blade. roll of toilet paper etc) as a gag. This maybe one of their specimens. It puzzled me as a child that they would get such a kick out of it.
Thanks for asking and enjoy the rest of your weekend image.jpg

This IS a Great thread!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Took me long enough to join in here. :rolleyes:
I've been doin the buckskinning thing for 20 plus years now and cast iron is always the cookware at any gathering or rendezvous!
Some GREAT skillets and dutch oven been posted here!! :cool::cool::cool: Thank You ALL for sharing! :thumbsup:
Might as well start with my smallest pan, I use this just for eggs....
IMG_2876.jpg
IMG_2863.jpg

Dave

When I get to cookin I like to put on some good ole time music like Uncle Dave Mason's tune "Keep My Skillet Good and Greasy all the time" :D
A 6" Wagner just finished up with some BACON!!!! ;):)
IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2855.jpg

Much more to follow! :D

Dave

Back