Traditionals carried by Vets

I was in the army from 99-02 and didn't get issued a knife of any kind and honestly wasn't much into knives at that time in my life. I did carry a Gerber multitool daily though which I still have. I'm out of town for work currently so cant post up a picture of it unfortunately.

I bought a Buck 110 because "everybody" had one (especially the Machinist Mates), but I didn't carry it on board the ship. However, I did carry the Vic Woodsman that my wife bought me, in a Zermatt pouch. (Back then the Woodsman was similar to today's Huntsman, except no tweezers or toothpick.)

I was a lot skinnier and had hair when I carried this Puma in Bavaria with 1AD.

AAPb7bz.jpg

This Bark River went to Iraq with me a long time later. I know I also had a slipjoint in my pocket but can't remember what.

VH5RRHZ.jpg

I carried this Seahorse whittler my last tour in the sand.

XjoM9gB.jpg

I've carried a lot of different knives, even had a few issued.

Army 72 to 76. Commo- Most of the time with 1/3 Armored Cav on the German/ Czech border. Border patrol. I carried the issue TL-29 toolkit-knife and wire strippers in the leather sheath at work. A Puma Game Warden when in civvies.--KV

Last edited:
U.S, Navy 1965 - 1989

I bought this Case Folding Hunter at the Navy Exchange the day I graduated from Boot Camp at Great Lakes, IL in September 1965. It didn't come with a sheath so when I got to my first ship, I made a sheath for it from an old discarded leather Navy satchel. You'll have to excuse the roughness on the corner of the sheath's belt loop. My old cocker spaniel "Maggie" got a hold of it for a couple minutes one day.

TqgT1RN.jpg

S6Z1L87.jpg

In later years, as I advanced in rate and made Chief, I bought this Gerber Sportsman at the Navy Exchange and carried it in my pocket until I retired in 1989.

oVj5Ic3.jpg

I was issued a couple of TL-29s and a utility knife but never carried them on my person - just in my tool bag.

Last edited:
A Buck 110, I bought in 1968 at The Special Forces PX on Smoke Bomb Hill at Ft Bragg, NC.

Paid $16.00 for it.

Still have it.

Also had a SAK, unknown model, as it has been at the bottom of Logan-Martin Lake, outside Riverside, AL for thirty-five years.

U.S. Army 80-86. I carried a U.S."demo" knife till it got run over by a tank,:eek: then switched to a TL-29. Always had a church key in my pocket, a P38 on my dog tags, and am still confused by the need of an awl on a pocket knife. All that I ever used was the knife blade. The flat tipped screw driver was much more useful.

Last edited:
I should have included this Buck 112 in my above post. Notice that I drilled a thong hole through the lower bolster so i could secure it to a belt loop while working on a receiving antenna platform over the side or a Whiskey-3 transmitting antenna on the mast. Sometimes, I carried it on my belt in it's sheath but mostly carried it in my tool bag.

QwfEe1g.jpg

I should have included this Buck 112 in my above post. Notice that I drilled a thong hole through the lower bolster so i could secure it to a belt loop while working on a receiving antenna platform over the side or a Whiskey-3 transmitting antenna on the mast. Sometimes, I carried it on my belt in it's sheath but mostly carried it in my tool bag.

QwfEe1g.jpg

What year did you get this 112? It does not look like macassar ebony, perhaps it is the shedua wood version.

View attachment 1018844 92 to 96 I discovered a clip on a knife and stuck with those for the better part of 30 years. 1st LAR at los Flores Camp Pendleton. Hind sight I wish I would of had a case barlow in my pocket and not drank to crazy excess. (Did not carry this one)
I really like your Old Catt Willard !!!!! I have one just like it that I got at an auction outside of Holton , Indiana in 2015 . Nobody knew what it was . The only thing that is destructible are those Leather Rings and Sheaths .

Harry

Last edited:
I really like your Old Catt Willard !!!!! I have one just like it that I got at an auction outside of Holton , Indiana in 2015 . Nobody knew what it was . The only thing that is destructible are those Leather Rings and Sheaths .

Harry
Thank you sir! My cousin gave me that knife, he is a long time Buck man so this years forum knife will probably end up in his hands. Good evening, Ode

Army, 1977-1984. Mostly, I carried a Gerber Folding Sportsman II D, which was kept razor sharp at all times. It finally disappeared in a Mercedes taxi in Augsburg, Germany after it slipped out of my pocket when paying the taxi driver. Others I remember include a Case Muskrat, a Case Cheetah (hated the sabre grind and got rid of it ASAP). After the Gerber's demise, I carried a Puma Sergeant for years. There may have been others, but those I well remember.

Buck-105-1976.jpg

Saudi-Arabia-April-2003.jpg

Started out by enlisting in the ARNG 1973, carried the Buck 301 my grandma bought me when I was in HS. After OCS I bought a Buck 105 at the PX in APG MD in 1976, while at OBC, to carry as a field knife. Carried those two for many years, then had a SAK for about 15 years. My last two knives were an Imperial M-4 bayonet for a field knife - my 1SG Dad gave it to me when he retired in the early 1980’s. My last pocketknife was a Kabar Medium Stockman bought at the MCX at Camp Lejeune in the late 1990’s - carried it to Grafenwohr Germany, Fort Irwin CA (NTC), and during OIF in 2003. It retired when I did in 2005. Can’t see it well, but I’m holding the Kabar Stockman in one hand while cooking an MRE in Tobruk Saudi Arabia in Spring 2003 (I was just passing through Tobruk enroute from my HQ to theater C4 HQ in Arifjan KU at the time). OH

Last edited:
My dad carried this PSK as part of his EOD kit in the USAF. It's a Camillus 67 or 68, IIRC. He used to have everything piggybacked as one assembly. When he gave me the kit, I took it apart and remade the stone pocket. He also carried a Buck 110 of late 60's vintage, which I don't have a picture of handy at the moment.

Dad's EOD kit resize.jpg

During my time in the USAF, I carried a (you guessed it) TL-29. No, I didn't mod it, I still have it, LOL. Don't have a pic of that handy, but you know what they look like I guess.

Back