Traditionals from all over the world

herisson

Apple slicing rocking chair dweller
I have been pondering a bit over my accumulation of knives and I checked out that if there was a theme to it, it could be "traditionals from the world" with some few exceptions. It occurred to me that a thread on the matter could make for some gorgeous pictures. And reveal unknown knives and styles. It can be fixed or folding, doesn't need to be an antique, modern renditions (if not wildly inaccurate) are welcome. I will open with this set of gaucho knives (a punal, carried behind the belt in the back (the gaucho allrounder EDC and weapon), and a verijero, carried behind the belt in front and used only for small stuff, like castrating bulls). They are made by Galin Donchev ("limonad" on BF), a contemporary bladesmith from Bulgaria. Both are fantastic cutters, especially for slicing and mincing meat. The pictures don't really do justice to the beautiful materials and flawless fit and finish.

In their special slip sheathes :
XfkiVV1.jpg

And ready to work :
mmk9PKY.jpg

Very nice. I could fall for one of these !

Traditionals from all over the world makes for a very interesting collection in itself.

There's the Resolza's from Sardinia, the Zuava's from Northern Italy, the Douk-Douk's and Laguioles from France, the Mercators and Otter's from Germany, the Terramundi and Navaja from Spain, the Higonokami from Japan.

Heck yeah, lets see them. I love international dining!:thumbsup:
:D

This is gonna be a great thread to peruse. Already starting a new list... :cool:

Laguiole from Fontenille Patuad in Thiers France. Awesome slicer. Plus when I show it off I get to proclaim in a heavy east Texas accent, “ it’s Fraynch!” Which is usually met with a sarcastic, “ ooo la la!” Which changes once they handle it to, “ well dang! Them French feller’s make a nice knife.” And they do!
Who says I ain’t cultured!

9574D006-730F-4F09-AC20-0CC84BBD9713.jpeg

French knive don't be limited to the Laguiole or Opis. There's a lot of regional patterns that tend to fade away unfortunately. Now most are made in Thiers, but in the past there were many other towns, among them Chatellerault was highly respected, but Nogent and Langres (philosopher Diderot's father was cutler in Langres) were also famous for their blades. Unfortunately now only Nontron survived the mass production of Thiers - and is now the oldest cutlery in France -.
All the knives that follow come from Thiers.
Arc (strongbow)
Arc_corail.jpg
Aurillac, a town down south, one of the coldest place in winter. This is the original pattern, by the original maker, end of XIXth. Don't ask me why they changed the shape, imho this is much sleeker but now made only by very expensive craftsmen.
Aurillac_Calepin.jpg

Bargeon automatic, made in the 70s. Lino certainly sports one in his pockets in case the Lüger would be too noisy:eek::D.
Bargeon-SN.jpg

Bouledogue Issard
Issard-Mouchotte.jpg

Camping knive, with the survival tools : corkscrew andbottle opener.:thumbsup:
Camping.jpg

Much used in Normandy, 2 Pradels from the name of the first maker, now closed but much sought after for quality. The Pradel name stamped is just for the pattern (I wish it were a real one!)
Pradelx2.jpg

Queue de poisson (fishtail) very popular in Brittany and Vendée, often considered as woman or kid's knives. Well, those must have iron nails!o_O
Left the original, created by Lacroix, end XIXth, middle Massoptier, right Parapluie.

poissons-1.jpg

Tonneau (barrel) with a spear instead of the usual sheepsfoot.
Camenber.jpg

Violon (violin), swell center Issard.
Issard_Violon.jpg

Swoopy is sexy ! And the Hungarians have something with swoopy blades (see Spyderco Szabo / Laci Szabo design or Spyderco Hungarian / original designer Gabor Szokonyi).

Swoopy is sexy ! And the Hungarians have something with swoopy blades (see Spyderco Szabo / Laci Szabo design or Spyderco Hungarian / original designer Gabor Szokonyi).
There is probably a link with the fact Hungarians originate from Asia, or the Turkish occupation later, though most folding patterns are Germany influenced.
I'm not fond of the Spyderco, I prefer the traditional Fejesgörbe. (not my pix)
IMG_8859-e1448398774876.jpg

And this is a folder I'd buy in a heartbeat !
And while we're talking folders, let's jump to Japan... where the famous higonokami is made. Here are two of them : one is quite the traditional and basic version, the other is a modern rendition by Junpei Makkari. While it's a diminutive knife, I just had to buy it for the sheer esthetics. VG10 blade and horsechestnut burl handle. It's a jewel but I carry it regularly and well... it cuts almost all I need to cut. Not the Tbone steak, that's what the all steel higo is for.

jSFaajT.jpg

Back