Traditionals from all over the world

Here’s a 1920s German made Graeff Schmidt smooth bone Jack Knife I rescued from the trash. It was a solid blob of latex paint. The original owner must’ve painted with it and left it in the bottom of s paint can after he broke out chips from opening paint cans with the main blade.

I just 5 minutes ago took these pics. There’s a certain warmth 100 year old smooth bone has that can only come from time. I was so happy I saved this knife, the bone is so rich and warm.

Also if you look where the chip missing from the scale in the back you can just barely see the remnants of the white latex paint I couldn’t remove. I decided to leave it to remind me of how close I almost came to scrappin’ the whole knife. It truly was a diamond in the rough.

7DrmcmVh.jpg

TU2DhTQh.jpg

Ml7YEdNh.jpg

aPz1PrVh.jpg

SmjNbiXh.jpg

EGTdykNh.jpg

Old and worn knives have a charm on their own. Especially if you have restored them yourself...

There is probably a link with the fact Hungarians originate from Asia, or the Turkish occupation later, though most folding patterns are Germany influenced.
I'm not fond of the Spyderco, I prefer the traditional Fejesgörbe. (not my pix)
IMG_8859-e1448398774876.jpg
Fantastic...wow ! Thank you for the look at this one and all the others...what a treat !!

waynorth waynorth I hoped to discover new knives with this thread... The least I can say I'm not disappointed ! And it keeps on giving. Thanks for the Sfilato !

Enjoying this thread, on mentioned in another traditional thread that I wish I could see more Polish knives after seeing one. Keep them coming. Any Kopromed put there?

Here's a group shot of souvenirs I bought when I visited my daughter who lived in Spain at the time.
all.7.closed.out.jpg
Top down, they are:
a JJ Martinez navaja de campaña (almost identical to Sodbuster Jr) purchased in Granada;
a Carlos Quintana Taramundi, a friction folder bought in Sevilla;
a Joker with bull horn handle, and a Cudeman Solsonesa, both from Toledo;
a Pallés Solsonesa, and an unbranded Laguiole, both probably Chinese-made but bought in Denia;
an olive wood Joker from Valencia.

- GT

For some further enjoyment, here is a Tcherkessian shepherd knife made by Grigori Menchev (G.Menchev on BF) from Bulgaria. A very robust knife, surprisingly light and beautifully made. The feeling in hand is amazing. The pure lines and outstanding fit & finish are typical for G.Menchev's work.

EQCoNJx.jpg

Back