Trail Master Fighter?

I just don't see how a cable tang would make a good handle for a fighting knife? Seems like a full tang would be a better option.

I just don't see how a cable tang would make a good handle for a fighting knife? Seems like a full tang would be a better option.
I haven't put them to the test , but supposedly the cable tangs act like shock absorbers / vibration isolators when heavy contact is made against another weapon . LT really seems to care about perfecting the martial aspects of his weapons designs , so this is one feature I just assume he's right about . :cool:

Any particular reason why Cold Steel doesn't sharpen the swedge/clip on the san mai version?

All Trail Masters came with an unsharpened false edge until the production of the carbon steel knives was switched to Taiwan. Since then the carbon steel knives have come with the sharpened swedge, which I like to have on a Bowie. The San Mai Trail Masters have always been produced in Japan, and I imagine adding the sharpening of the false edge would also add unnecessarily to production costs of an already expensive knife.

They don't advertise the sharpened false edge, do they? Learned the hard way, hurt like a sum abiatch with such an obtuse angle on the swedge.

Between the Trail Master and Laredo, which do you get more requests to make sheaths for?

Probably more Southern Comforts for the Laredo, but I've done very many for both. Much depends on your height (actually torso length) and how comfortable you are with this type of carry. I'm 5'9" and have no problem with the Laredo's 10.5" blade, but I am very used to this carry. 5'8" and below, and if you aren't very familiar with this type of carry, you are most likely better off with the Trail Master's 9.5" blade.

My carbon V Kraton handled Trailmaster used to be my main user until I switched to Busse. The handle is terrible for extended chopping or heavy duty and the knife does have its shortcomings. But it is very fast and balanced in the hand and would make an excellent fighter. Much faster than Busse btw. I like double edged knives and double edged techniques but not evertybody does. There are much better double edged knives for fighting, or designated single edge fighters for that matter, but the TM is really a lovely fast, balanced and tough knife nonetheless. They used to advertise it stabbing through car doors etc. but hyperbole aside it's a great knife. The san mai does tend to chip depending on the heat treat, the carbon V tend to pit rather than rust and I had to wrap the kraton handle for heavy use. Still a great knife.

Ive carried a Laredo in the leather sheath from Cold Steel with the knife slipped under my belt with the sheath set in my front pocket covered by a t shirt. It was virtually invisible and only uncomfortable when sitting. Since concealed carry of fixed blades is verboten in California I only tried this at home to see how it worked.

Ive carried a Laredo in the leather sheath from Cold Steel with the knife slipped under my belt with the sheath set in my front pocket covered by a t shirt. It was virtually invisible and only uncomfortable when sitting. Since concealed carry of fixed blades is verboten in California I only tried this at home to see how it worked.

Why set it in your front pocket?? It is should be worn along your flank, and does conceal well sitting, while remaining comfortable. It's a matter of positioning and angles.

I've tried that but with the brass post resting on the belt only 5 or 6 inches of the sheath sits in the pocket. Knife doesnt move or shift or print. Im not wearing knife concealed outside the house since it is illegal to do so. I have seen your video recorded at Bill Bagwells shop and know about finding the "sweet spot".

I've tried that but with the brass post resting on the belt only 5 or 6 inches of the sheath sits in the pocket. Knife doesnt move or shift or print. Im not wearing knife concealed outside the house since it is illegal to do so. I have seen your video recorded at Bill Bagwells shop and know about finding the "sweet spot".
o_O I'm having trouble envisioning how your way of carry would work . Maybe a picture of standing up and another of sitting down would help ? You did say thru the belt and into your FRONT pocket ? :confused:

Let me emphasize that I don't actually go outside the privacy of my own home with a concealed fixed blade. The sheath used is one of the tan or brown leather sheaths with the brass colored post or bolt near the top center used to mount the sheath in the waistband or along the belt. These sheaths are what Cold Steel used to include with Laredo Bowies before the Secure Ex ones that are currently issued. In fact San Mai Laredos still include this type of sheath but instead of tan they are black leather.

Im right handed and prefer cross draw so I simply slide the sheath under my belt but outside the pants and into the left front pocket then cover with t shirt. Typically this type of sheath would be slid into the pant with only the handle of the knife protruding then covered with shirt if concealment is desired. The post is what keeps the sheath from sliding down further than the waist or belt.

I have experimented with this type of carry from all sides and angles and it workls best for me when using the pocket method. I know it sounds funny as hell especially when considering there was another thread recently somewhere on the forums where an indivudual claimed to carry baseball bats and swords in his pockets.

When done as described the knife virtually disappears with nothing more than a t shirt. Ive tried this along my flank or side, say 3 o'clock and the handle pokes me in the ribs. I tilt the handle slightly forward then the blade prints near my back pocket or hip. This is inside the waist band. In the end it makes no difference since I will never conceal carry a fixed blade as long as Im living in California.

When walking or standing the knife is fairly comfortable and stays in place. With the weight of the blade being supported by the peg resting on my belt it is no more difficult than carrying a large folder clipped to a pocket. The sheathed Laredo doesn't even touch the bottom of said pocket. Sitting it will press against top of thigh and push handle up and require adjustment.

I can however legally open carry a fixed blade with no blade length restrictions but won't even do that unless I'm outside heavily populated areas. There's just too much potential for trouble with rabbit people everywhere. Open carry the blade can be positioned anywhere around the waist as concealment won't be a concern. Then the 3 o'clock would be ideal.

Last edited:
o_O I'm havingPeggouble envisioning how your way of carry would work . Maybe a picture of standing up and another of sitting down would help ? You did say thru the belt and into your FRONT pocket ? :confused:

Under belt as the sheath has no belt loop attached to it. Peg or post keeps it from sliding further than belt or waist.

Under belt as the sheath has no belt loop attached to it. Peg or post keeps it from sliding further than belt or waist.
:) I have the Laredo with the "Southern Comfort" style leather sheath , just as you describe . But I have tried the arrangement with it stuck into my front pocket , to no avail . Maybe my pants or personal anatomy is not suited . I could maybe stand or walk slowly but certainly could not sit down . All wrong for me , but we're all different . :cool:

Using Wrangler Carpenter pants blue denim purchased from Walmart and a 511 brand heavy duty nylon belt that won't sag from the weight of the knife. Very comfortable and knife handle lies flat against abdomen. Lift t shirt and pull blade from sheath in one smooth draw. I like it, too bad it isn't legal because it would be the perfect solution preventing citizens from being freaked out by a large fixed blade worn in public while keeping the element of surprise for potential goblins.

I can however legally open carry a fixed blade with no blade length restrictions but won't even do that unless I'm outside heavily populated areas. There's just too much potential for trouble with rabbit people everywhere.

I carry my fixed blades in a kind of rotation, from the Magnum Tanto IX, Trailmaster to a min tanto, when dong my morning walk around the neighborhoods and occasionally when shopping although my usual for shopping is a XL Voyager or 6" TiLite aluminum. No problem other than people wanting to see the knife, get quite an AHH when I pull out the Magnum or Tanto. You do have to be careful though, cities and counties can dictate there own rules of carry(LA really sucks), luckily for me Riverside County uses State Guidelines. Usually once or twice a week a cop will drive by me on the main street I walk, never been stopped(maybe being a old white guy helps). In my youth I carried a Gerber Mark I everywhere and even in the front seat of a CHP Car when mine broke down and the really nice Chippy dropped me off at a gas station to make a call for help(long before freeway phones). I was in line at the market one time and this guy and his girlfriend were behind me and I heard her comment to him about my "scary knife", his reply to her was:"You don't have to worry about him, you worry about the person who has it concealed".

Everyone can decide for themselves when, where, and how to carry the big blades, but I see absolutely no reason to put it in your pocket. I think that would cause more problems than it solves. The handle should be snug to the body when worn on your flank, but does not dig into your ribs if you have found the proper "sweet spot". The stud style sheath is a "floating system" that allows it to remain concealed when seated, if set up properly, and some surreptitious minor adjustments if needed. A little experimentation is required to find it, as well as wearing it long enough to get used to the feeling. You can do that by wearing it for a day and still not go off your property. I'm not advocating breaking any laws for you to try to see if that style of carry actually works. Possibly the factory leather sheath is a little thicker than works for you. All I know is that I've carried like that for well over 25 years and it works very well for me. Cross draw works well too, but usually with a cover garment if going concealed. Lynn Thompson wears his cross draw; Bill Bagwell uses cavalry draw (strong side, edge forward, palm out). To each his own. In the end, it is whatever works best for you as an individual.

Last edited:
I think that any knife can be a fighter. The Apache were phenomenal knife fighters, and they would use knives made of glass/bone/stone.

But I think rehandling a Trailmaster for balance purpose, would be ideal.

Have you looked at the Leatherneck? While the swedge is unsharpened, the balance is perfect.

Back