Trailmaster AUS8 question

Gentlemen,

I picked up a cold steel trailmaster off of ebay. It is a uncoated one so I thought it was one of the old carbon V uncoated trailmaster.

When I got it, it did not say Carbon V, so I called coldsteel and they confirmed it was made of AUS8 steel.

Not familiar with that steel. How does it compare to Carbon V? Is it as strong? edge retention?

Edumacate me please.

50 Freak said:
Gentlemen,

I picked up a cold steel trailmaster off of ebay. It is a uncoated one so I thought it was one of the old carbon V uncoated trailmaster.

When I got it, it did not say Carbon V, so I called coldsteel and they confirmed it was made of AUS8 steel.

Not familiar with that steel. How does it compare to Carbon V? Is it as strong? edge retention?

Edumacate me please.

im sure someone will come along and give you more technical info, but AUS-8 is a decent steel, you cant really 'compare' anything to carbon-V because carbon-V isnt a specific type of steel. its marketing BS for whatever type of steel CS happens to be using at the moment. not saying its bad, just that they dont name the specific steel or publicize its elements so theres nothing really to 'compare' to - just widespread speculation. those who adore CS will praise carbon-V to high heaven, those who dislike CS will take their opportunity to bash it because of its abstract nature.
me? im pretty apathetic about it all. if a knife holds a good edge and performs well i could care less what its made of... although id be more concerned with heat treating than specific materials.

AUS-10 is comparable to 440C, so AUS-8 is up around there. its stainless, although if its bead blasted (as most blades are these days) always wipe it clean because it will corrode.

Use it; you'll like it. Especially, if it's one of the older ones.

Back