Trailmaster clone

KenHash

Gold Member
Found this clone sold under the Coleman brand. Seems sold only by one dealer, made in China and steel described only as "stainless". And it's black. lol
  • Model: Coleman 278002
  • Condition: New
  • Made in China
  • Folder Closed, or Fixed Overall Length: 14.5" long
  • Blade: 9.37" long, Black Stainless Steel
  • Handle: Black Rubber
  • Comes with Nylon Sheath
    rAhp6f.jpg
    nyRO9l.jpg

wow. shameful.

found it at a handful of dealers. most I dont use. one a few times. looking at coleman's knives across the web seems many are bad copies. slap their name on Chinese factory offerings.....

better sheath though for not scratching up the coating or dulling the edge on a sloppy withdraw or sloppy reinsertion.:)

Last edited:
Wow, that's more of a clone than I was expecting. I know Coleman brand sourced cheap Chinese manufacturing, but this is a bit surprising.

At first I thought that maybe the factory in China that used to make the China-made TMs for Cold Steel years back contracted with Coleman to keep making them with a different branding. But I "think" those were SK5 blades. Of course the same tooling could be used with a different steel so I guess that's a "possibility". Just speculating. May have nothing to do with those old TMs.

At first I thought that maybe the factory in China that used to make the China-made TMs for Cold Steel years back contracted with Coleman to keep making them with a different branding. But I "think" those were SK5 blades. Of course the same tooling could be used with a different steel so I guess that's a "possibility". Just speculating. May have nothing to do with those old TMs.

You might be onto something, Ken. The Chinese made Trail Masters used Japanese SK-5, and they did do an excellent job with them. People just didn't like the "Made in China" on the blade, so production was switched to Taiwan.

Looks like an MTECH 151.

Yup. Could be the same .
Black finish 440 stainless steel blade (Although some sites say 420).
Blade length : 9''
Overall length : 14 2/3''
Weight : 1 lbs
Kraton handle
Black nylon sheath
nYvU7b.jpg

the coleman I think said rubber guard......

the coleman I think said rubber guard......
I missed that, thought it was blackened. I noticed the brass ferrule/sleeve was installed exactly the same(weird recessing) on both. Still could be same knife just a bin of rubber ones alongside the metal ones for the prisoners to choose from.

Seems like Coleman has been knocking off a bunch of brands lately. I saw Coleman knock-offs of Fox and Aitor knives just tonight.

Back