Traveling to Canada - Need help!

Quick questions for all of you! Has anyone traveled to Canada by air recently? If so, did you take a knife in your checked bag? Did they give you any trouble once you were there?

Thank you in advance! I’m going there over winter break and I’m trying to figure outwhat knife (if any) to take along with me!

I know when you travel international from Canadian airport they don't allow any knives. Within Canada you can have something like 2.5 inch not certain on exact measurement.
In a checked bag? Really???

Even in the UK you can stick knives in hold luggage.

You can carry a machete out and about when in Canada, and you won’t be breaking the law.
You can easily have a knife with you in your checked baggage, as long as the knife is not a flicky type knife. You coupd toghten the pivot with you and grab a tool to loosen it up when you arrive. That’s just for customs regulations.

Size is irrelevant, but autos, butterfly or “gravity” knives are illegal. Same with push daggers, etc.

Good luck, safe trip and enjoy your stay!

I fly from Canada to the U.S. and back at least once a year.I usually have a scout knife and a leatherman in my checked bag.Never had a problem.
I would suggest that you not carry any kniife that is assisted or can be opened by centrifigal force and you will be fine.

You can bring a knife in your checked bag, no flipper, auto or even thumbstud right now CBSA has gone crazy . Stick to 2 hand openers you should be fine

To be 100% safe stick to two hand openers. CBSA has become vauge about its laws when crossing the border. Basically it seems like any knife that can be flipped open with one hand might be liable to confiscation.

Quick questions for all of you! Has anyone traveled to Canada by air recently? If so, did you take a knife in your checked bag? Did they give you any trouble once you were there?

Thank you in advance! I’m going there over winter break and I’m trying to figure outwhat knife (if any) to take along with me!
Checked bag will fine. I believe you can even carry a small knife in your carry on now. Although I haven’t rolled the dice on that yet.
Just use your common sense once you’ve arrived.
If you’re downtown Toronto a bit ZT or something may bring unwanted attention.
Don’t have a military in your pocket and try to go in a pub.
And if you do end up having a conversation with with a police officer regarding your knife DO NOT MENTION SELF DEFENCE.
Just a tool officer.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I’m gonna take a pilar with a tightened pivot (I wouldn’t mind too much if I lose that one) and my giantmouse GMF1 to avoid any room for interpretation. Those two should do it!

Checked bag will fine. I believe you can even carry a small knife in your carry on now. Although I haven’t rolled the dice on that yet.
Just use your common sense once you’ve arrived.
If you’re downtown Toronto a bit ZT or something may bring unwanted attention.
Don’t have a military in your pocket and try to go in a pub.
And if you do end up having a conversation with with a police officer regarding your knife DO NOT MENTION SELF DEFENCE.
Just a tool officer.

Wrong - do this only if you wish to donate your knife to TSA.

TSA does NOT allow the carry of anything even resemble an item capable of cutting anything as part of your carry-on luggage.

You can NOT carry a knife onto the plane. It must be in your checked luggage. Same goes for "tactical pens" these days, although I only hear of USA confiscations of pens by TSA.

Tightening the pivot does not do anything. CBSA is wise to this so it's not going to help you if you get pulled in for screening.

I travel here and there and always have a knife in my checked bag. It's a thumb-stud folder... an expendable one in case it gets pinched.

US rules are US rules, Canadian rules recently changed and I think it covers both domestic and flights to the EU, 6cm blade length.

Wrong - do this only if you wish to donate your knife to TSA.

TSA does NOT allow the carry of anything even resemble an item capable of cutting anything as part of your carry-on luggage.
Lol
Sorry about that mister red text.
I’m talking in Canada.
But since he’s leaving from the states I guess the tsa does come into play.
Red text in all bold next time, if you really want to drive the point home.

That's great news. I was not aware that Canada had returned to normalcy in this respect. I only used bolded/red text for SERIOUS items... loss of a knife to the TSA idiots falls into the "serious" category.

Back