Traveling to Florida with knives?

I'm planning to fly in to Florida to visit some family soon. Some of them have expressed interest in seeing my knife collection so I thought I would bring a few - all less than 4-inch blade length, some flippers, some stud openers, no autos or assisted openers, no slip joints, etc. (ie: a Spyderco Nirvana, Slysz Bowie, PM2, etc.). I planned to throw them in a Condor Arsenal Knife Case (6-knife case) and store that in my check-in luggage. I would only handle them at the home I'm staying in and would not carry them outside of it.

Am I ok to do this? Are there any laws in FL that I would be violating by doing this? Do I have any reason to be concerned that anything would be confiscated at the airport, or in transit from there to the home I'm staying in? Are there any measures I should take for the storage or transportation of my knives to ensure I am not detained or they are not confiscated?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I would send them via USPS Priority medium or large flat rate box...all in one box...well insured and signature requested.
It's much too easy to "lose" valuables out of checked luggage.
Florida laws are pretty easy. Visitors from out of state can carry a handgun in the glove compartment for protection, although NOT concealed without a CCP.
Check the laws via Google...pretty complete.

I would send them via USPS Priority medium or large flat rate box...all in one box...well insured and signature requested.
It's much too easy to "lose" valuables out of checked luggage.
Florida laws are pretty easy. Visitors from out of state can carry a handgun in the glove compartment for protection, although NOT concealed without a CCP.
Check the laws via Google...pretty complete.

Gun law in FL is relatively straight forward, knife law on the other hand is a murky as quicksand and there is no preemption for knife laws so it can be very different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. However, that being said, pretty much any knife is legal to own (there are a couple of exceptions that I don't remember of hand). As long as you aren't carrying you should have no issues. Carrying any folder with a 4" of less blade should be fine (case law only) but again could be restricted by jurisdiction. Like I said very murky, but as you aren't planning on carrying don't worry to much about it. (Not a lawyer, so take the above for what it's worth)

Back