Traveling with knives

Does anyone have a good solution for safely packing knives into check in bags for flights? And by safely, I mean it won’t get stolen. Or do you just take mid to low tier knives from your collection and hope for the best?

Depends where you go. If you travel to/in the mid-west USA, or - say - Switzerland, your knives should be pretty safe. If you go to Beijing, for instance, it's another story. Fedex or DHL are the safest options if your knives are valuable.

I travel for work extensively and spent over 220 nights in hotels in 2020 during the height of the pandemic.

In my checked suitcase:

- When traveling CONUS, I typically pack a SAK Tinker and a PM2 or a Manix 2. There is also a Leatherman Supertool 200 somewhere in my luggage. I stick them inside the toe of my steel toe boots and pack the remaining internal boot space with socks and underwear to maximize volume in my checked bag. I have yet to have the socks even pulled out of the boots. No issues thus far and that is flying into multiple unfriendly locales, including LAX, NYC, Reagan International, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis, Dulles, etc.

- When traveling international, I typically pack the same SAK Tinker and a cheaper knife like a Delica, Endela, Sodbuster or something that I don't care if it comes home or not. I pack it the same way. I've only had two issues in over 20 years of international business travel - one of which was clearing customs in Chicago after flying home from Poland and the TSA officer removed everything in my suitcase in front of me to inspect the knives/tools. I was told the Manix 2 was illegal to carry in Chicago but as I was only connecting thru to get home in Oklahoma, he'd allow me to re-pack the suitcase. The other time was clearing customs going into Canada at Jean Lesage International Airport in Quebec City. They confiscated a Case lockback folder as the blade was too long apparently but they left the SAK Tinker and Leatherman alone.

In my carry-on:

- Leatherman makes a TSA approved mini-multitool, the Leatherman Style PS, that is bladeless. It has pliers, scissors, file, and tweezers. While it isn't a blade per se, it is useful for opening packaging, Copenhagen cans, or anything I might need while inflight or in an airport. I also have a small Surefire or Streamlight "tactical" flashlight. I've never been asked about the small Leatherman although it has been pulled out of my laptop backpack and personally inspected by TSA a few times. I have been asked about why I am carrying a flashlight by TSA; my answer - "to see in the dark".

I am NOT an expert on TSA rules, regulations, or tendencies to pilfer/steal things in luggage. I've heard second-hand stories about things missing or stolen out of checked luggage, but have never heard of anything firsthand from any of the engineers who work for me or any of my colleagues. I would assume thieves would be more interested in expensive electronics, i.e. cameras, Ipods, Ipads, etc. And I NEVER pack that stuff in checked luggage. Anything of value goes into my laptop backpack.

YMMV...

I just pack a knife i can easily replace that isnt too pricey and works for my uses and matches the laws of where I am going. I keep it that simple. if it gets taken, no bother.
This guy is correct! I pack a knife that I am ok with losing. I also place my knife in my toiletries bag so my knife cannot “accidentally” fall out of my luggage. I have found a small Buck lock back works well for a traveling knife. A small slipjoint would work very well too.

Last edited:
Cheap knife & or one I don’t feel too passionate about replacing.
For me, a Delica is about as nice as I’d pack in luggage.

This is presently my travel knife. If/when it goes, I’ll replace it with a UKPK or something.

I tend to travel to pack more tool-based knives like a Victorinox Explorer and/or Leatherman Rebar. I usually stick them way down in the cargo netting or behind the inside padding.

One piece of advice I read somewhere seems prudent: Take a dated picture of everything packed in your bag and keep it on your phone. That way if something (or your whole bag for thst matter) does go missing, you at least have record for insurance purposes.

I just pack a knife i can easily replace that isnt too pricey and works for my uses and matches the laws of where I am going. I keep it that simple. if it gets taken, no bother.
That’s what my train of thought was as well. But sometimes I want to bring some nicer ones to show.

I travel for work extensively and spent over 220 nights in hotels in 2020 during the height of the pandemic.

In my checked suitcase:

- When traveling CONUS, I typically pack a SAK Tinker and a PM2 or a Manix 2. There is also a Leatherman Supertool 200 somewhere in my luggage. I stick them inside the toe of my steel toe boots and pack the remaining internal boot space with socks and underwear to maximize volume in my checked bag. I have yet to have the socks even pulled out of the boots. No issues thus far and that is flying into multiple unfriendly locales, including LAX, NYC, Reagan International, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis, Dulles, etc.

- When traveling international, I typically pack the same SAK Tinker and a cheaper knife like a Delica, Endela, Sodbuster or something that I don't care if it comes home or not. I pack it the same way. I've only had two issues in over 20 years of international business travel - one of which was clearing customs in Chicago after flying home from Poland and the TSA officer removed everything in my suitcase in front of me to inspect the knives/tools. I was told the Manix 2 was illegal to carry in Chicago but as I was only connecting thru to get home in Oklahoma, he'd allow me to re-pack the suitcase. The other time was clearing customs going into Canada at Jean Lesage International Airport in Quebec City. They confiscated a Case lockback folder as the blade was too long apparently but they left the SAK Tinker and Leatherman alone.

In my carry-on:

- Leatherman makes a TSA approved mini-multitool, the Leatherman Style PS, that is bladeless. It has pliers, scissors, file, and tweezers. While it isn't a blade per se, it is useful for opening packaging, Copenhagen cans, or anything I might need while inflight or in an airport. I also have a small Surefire or Streamlight "tactical" flashlight. I've never been asked about the small Leatherman although it has been pulled out of my laptop backpack and personally inspected by TSA a few times. I have been asked about why I am carrying a flashlight by TSA; my answer - "to see in the dark".

I am NOT an expert on TSA rules, regulations, or tendencies to pilfer/steal things in luggage. I've heard second-hand stories about things missing or stolen out of checked luggage, but have never heard of anything firsthand from any of the engineers who work for me or any of my colleagues. I would assume thieves would be more interested in expensive electronics, i.e. cameras, Ipods, Ipads, etc. And I NEVER pack that stuff in checked luggage. Anything of value goes into my laptop backpack.

YMMV...
Wow. Thanks for the detailed break down. Good to know you haven’t had any issues with missing one. I always here crap about people getting things stolen so I usually just leave my knives at home. This gives me some confidence to start packing a few for my trips. “To see in the dark”😂 the accurate response.

I tend to travel to pack more tool-based knives like a Victorinox Explorer and/or Leatherman Rebar. I usually stick them way down in the cargo netting or behind the inside padding.

One piece of advice I read somewhere seems prudent: Take a dated picture of everything packed in your bag and keep it on your phone. That way if something (or your whole bag for thst matter) does go missing, you at least have record for insurance purposes.
Thanks for the tip, I’m going to start doing that, if I can remember, lol.

Depends where you go. If you travel to/in the mid-west USA, or - say - Switzerland, your knives should be pretty safe. If you go to Beijing, for instance, it's another story. Fedex or DHL are the safest options if your knives are valuable.
Pretty much this; and with many personal experiences. I had a really nice set of fishing rods stolen (that was meant for grandpa) one time. An old timer once told me, the fancier your bag and lock, the more likely it will get opened and pilfered. So pack a SAK (hey that rhymes) or a kershaw fosho (ok now I'm trying too hard).

Good luck.

Had a nice one stolen out of my checked bag at ORD and never again am I even going to try it. :(

I did a trip to Colorado in July where I bought an inexpensive Mora with a sheath to have while hiking and had Amazon deliver the knife to the hotel where we were staying. It was waiting for me when I checked into the hotel. So I carried and used the Mora for a few days during the trip. At the end of the trip, we stopped for breakfast on the way to the airport, and I saw a guy outside the restaurant working on landscaping. I gifted the Mora to the landscape worker, and he was very glad to receive it. That was a fun way to avoid airport knife logistics, so I will probably use this same strategy in the future.

Pretty much this; and with many personal experiences. I had a really nice set of fishing rods stolen (that was meant for grandpa) one time. An old timer once told me, the fancier your bag and lock, the more likely it will get opened and pilfered. So pack a SAK (hey that rhymes) or a kershaw fosho (ok now I'm trying too hard).

Good luck.
Had a nice one stolen out of my checked bag at ORD and never again am I even going to try it. :(
That’s unfortunate and what Im afraid of happening. Looks like I’ll just stick packing cheaper knives and shipping nicer ones if the occasion calls for it.

Back