Traveling with knives

The other time was clearing customs going into Canada at Jean Lesage International Airport in Quebec City. They confiscated a Case lockback folder as the blade was too long apparently but they left the SAK Tinker and Leatherman alone.
For future reference when travelling to Canada, there is NO blade length limit in Canada. If they did confiscate your knife, they had no legal grounds to do so, assuming there are no other details you are omitting.

Last edited:
For future reference when travelling to Canada, there is NO blade length limit in Canada. If they did confiscate your knife, they had no legal grounds to do so, assuming there are no other details you are omitting.
"If they did confiscated my knife?" - I thought that was clear in my post.

"assuming there are no other details you are omitting?" - had there been other details or contributing factors, that would have been shared as well.

Appreciate the clarification on the blade length limit, of lack thereof, in Canada.

There are many ways to skin this cat. The 1st knife is screwed together. I put the blade in my checked bag and carry the handle and tools on board.
The second knife (a Selector) comes apart without tools. The blade is checked, and the handle is carried on.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2
Under the insoles of my shoes, or, if it's not a well known brand and I have the box, I pack it in the box. That's what I did with my Civivi/WE and others. Zipped in it's taco and in the box. Otherwise, under the insole.

I used to pack everything securely all together in a Maxpedition pouch. However, the idea of "all my eggs in one basket" crept in and I realized how easy that would be to steal, so I've changed it up a bit as of late. I still take the Maxpedition pouch, but I don't put quite everything in there. I now put my most important knives in the pockets of my pants. This way at least if they are stolen it will take some effort to find them, and furthermore it will be easy for me to tell because my meticulous packing will then be disheveled. Also, I ALWAYS get my knives out of bag first thing right at the carousel. That way I can address it right there if anything is missing.

As for what I pack? For me it depends on the trip. As some of you who know me here are aware of, I live predominantly in the PNW, but I live/travel back home to FL multiple times a year for anywhere from a few days to over a month at times.

I like the idea, as many have mentioned, of something not irreplaceable and not too terribly expensive; however I also want to carry a knife I enjoy. For the longest time, my dedicated travel folder was the brown G10 Benchmade HK AXIS. A solid knife that I dig, but not "too" expensive. I would also take along a SE Dragonfly, and round it out with my Swisstool.

884Py1J.jpg

However, as I said, sometimes I stay down there for quite a while, up to 6 weeks at times; and I didn't want to go that long without carrying something that was special to me. I decided to pick up a PJ Sebenza 31 (which I customized) to take as my primary folder on these longer trips. Yes, it is probably too expensive for me to be risking, but it is not irreplaceable, and I've weighed the risk vs. carrying a knife that I really enjoy (it actually ends up being the longest I carry any of my knives without rotating). For these longer stays I also like to have a traditional with me, so I usually pick a Case to take as well (or sometimes use it as an excuse to pick up a new one for the occasion ;)).

Rcm0TE3.jpg

jtXcNZu.jpg

Now if I'm just going to be staying at the beach where I spend all of my time either in the ocean or paddling in the brackish lagoon nearby (which I usually do for a week every summer), I pack strictly lightweight Salt knives, but still might bring a traditional just for comfort.

J9fn4ib.jpg

Not sure when I will be able to go overseas again. Would always put a low end Leatherman, a low end SAK in each checked bag. Going across country by air in the next month with no checked luggage. No knife - flashlight.

I don't put anything into my non carry-on that I would have trouble replacing (either because of price, hassle, or model availability). It's just a matter of coming to an agreement with yourself about what that balance is. Some people will only carry their least expensive knives, to test the honesty of not very well paid airport security, while others will want something decent but replaceable.

I used to pack everything securely all together in a Maxpedition pouch. However, the idea of "all my eggs in one basket" crept in and I realized how easy that would be to steal, so I've changed it up a bit as of late. I still take the Maxpedition pouch, but I don't put quite everything in there. I now put my most important knives in the pockets of my pants. This way at least if they are stolen it will take some effort to find them, and furthermore it will be easy for me to tell because my meticulous packing will then be disheveled. Also, I ALWAYS get my knives out of bag first thing right at the carousel. That way I can address it right there if anything is missing.

As for what I pack? For me it depends on the trip. As some of you who know me here are aware of, I live predominantly in the PNW, but I live/travel back home to FL multiple times a year for anywhere from a few days to over a month at times.

I like the idea, as many have mentioned, of something not irreplaceable and not too terribly expensive; however I also want to carry a knife I enjoy. For the longest time, my dedicated travel folder was the brown G10 Benchmade HK AXIS. A solid knife that I dig, but not "too" expensive. I would also take along a SE Dragonfly, and round it out with my Swisstool.

884Py1J.jpg

However, as I said, sometimes I stay down there for quite a while, up to 6 weeks at times; and I didn't want to go that long without carrying something that was special to me. I decided to pick up a PJ Sebenza 31 (which I customized) to take as my primary folder on these longer trips. Yes, it is probably too expensive for me to be risking, but it is not irreplaceable, and I've weighed the risk vs. carrying a knife that I really enjoy (it actually ends up being the longest I carry any of my knives without rotating). For these longer stays I also like to have a traditional with me, so I usually pick a Case to take as well (or sometimes use it as an excuse to pick up a new one for the occasion ;)).

Rcm0TE3.jpg

jtXcNZu.jpg

Now if I'm just going to be staying at the beach where I spend all of my time either in the ocean or paddling in the brackish lagoon nearby (which I usually do for a week every summer), I pack strictly lightweight Salt knives, but still might bring a traditional just for comfort.

J9fn4ib.jpg
Forget the pocket candy. Your wrist game is LEGIT!
Well done on all fronts.

Depends where you go. If you travel to/in the mid-west USA, or - say - Switzerland, your knives should be pretty safe. If you go to Beijing, for instance, it's another story. Fedex or DHL are the safest options if your knives are valuable.
I've come through Beijing several times with a suit case full of cleavers with no problems. Take duct tape and wrap them up in cardboard or newspaper as best you can.

Forget the pocket candy. Your wrist game is LEGIT!
Well done on all fronts.
Thanks brother! The Explorer II is no longer in the collection, as I've refined and slimmed it down a bit, focusing on fewer pieces that I really enjoy. I replaced it with that first gen Planet Ocean from the last pic as my main watch and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Thanks brother! The Explorer II is no longer in the collection, as I've refined and slimmed it down a bit, focusing on fewer pieces that I really enjoy. I replaced it with that first gen Planet Ocean from the last pic as my main watch and couldn't be happier with my decision.
Good choice! I'm one of the few that would agree with such a move. Not a Rolex fan, but respect the brand (kinda like I feel about CRK).
Still an excellent group.

You got rid of a vintage Explorer II in that condition? Guess the Macallan's got the better of you. :D

Under the insoles of my shoes, or, if it's not a well known brand and I have the box, I pack it in the box. That's what I did with my Civivi/WE and others. Zipped in it's taco and in the box. Otherwise, under the insole.
You smuggle a knife onto airplanes in your shoe when going through airport metal detectors? C'mon, son.

Back