Trending Small

EDC is the way to go and the pocket friendly almost always gets the most use cause it is handy to have where ever you go or do something away from the garage or house.

There is definitely a trend of smaller knives going on. Actually I had my micro commander up for sale recently and it garnered way more interest than I expected.

Pocketability is very important for most people’s every day carry. For people living in urban areas knives are 99% just carried in the pocket as nearly everything is designed to be opened without one.

The regular old cqc7 is one of my favourite knives for the very reason that it is fairly compact and small but still provides a degree of self defense capability.

Lately I have honestly moved away from carrying it though because it is still a very thick knife.

However it is definitely the year of the mini. After so many have carried titanium pocket bricks during that trend I guess alot of people want something more practical.

I agree that there seems to be a trend towards small. Many locations have legal restrictions regarding blade length (2.5-3”) seems to be the common sizing. Along with that is the public perception towards large knives being inherently dangerous and ‘scary’.
In addition to a smaller blade being more pocket and people friendly, the reality is that for the average user, a blade 3” or less is more than enough for accomplishing EDC tasks. It doesn’t take a 4” blade to break down cardboard, open mail, and the numerous other tasks people use their knife for everyday. This comment is just a general overall statement and does not take into account personal taste. To each their own with regards to what they want to carry.
Emerson Knives already have a wide variety of knives with larger blades that are purpose driven for hard use/ military/ tactical applications. I think there is a reason that most Emerson mini’s(CQC7A&B, micro commander, and others in the less than 3” range) are in high demand.

John

Non empirical data here, but I think yes the trend is smaller and thinner, but not for the knife nut. The knife nut looks for other things in a purchase.

Summer comes around and yes I'm going lighter, where I live weight is noticed. During the winter I carry heavier and bigger. So I love having options. that's where the Vindicator goes with me in the Winter, and the Sheepdog in the Summer, see I love options!!!

Now the Gent Jim I'm lusting after seems to be a Winter/Spring knife........

Non empirical data here, but I think yes the trend is smaller and thinner, but not for the knife nut. The knife nut looks for other things in a purchase.

Summer comes around and yes I'm going lighter, where I live weight is noticed. During the winter I carry heavier and bigger. So I love having options. that's where the Vindicator goes with me in the Winter, and the Sheepdog in the Summer, see I love options!!!

Now the Gent Jim I'm lusting after seems to be a Winter/Spring knife........
G-Jim is an awesome model. My wife confiscated mine (full custom w' SF rampant lion clip and .45 thumb disk) 2 weeks ago, demanding over-the-top divorce settlement. I miss it dearly, and look forward to not dealing with her.

G-Jim is an awesome model. My wife confiscated mine (full custom w' SF rampant lion clip and .45 thumb disk) 2 weeks ago, demanding over-the-top divorce settlement. I miss it dearly, and look forward to not dealing with her.

Ouch. That has got to hurt badly.

There has definitely been a movement away from the larger thicker knives, I've seen a lot more medium and small knives pick up steam lately. Modernized slipjoints are becoming a full on trend as well, I believe as a reaction to the beefy overbuilt knives popular so recently.

A while back I chose the horseman over the cqc 8. The size is more suitable for carry in the pocket. But while Im at work doing landscaping and gardening my roadhouse is my go to knife.

Dear Ernest,

Please make another run of blacked out El Banditos! They are perfect! Just the right size.

Thanks,
Anthony

I think there are small options already available from you. The Minis, a G-Jim is a "small" carry, standard 7 is reasonable as is the A-100.

I do not think you have to be all things to all people. There are plenty of people making small thin knives, thin behind the edge, etc. But, I don't look to you or EKI for those, and in fact I personally am not interested in those knives. I carry a Roadhouse, A-100, CQC-7, or Super7 daily. In VA the only place I can't carry some of those, technically, is school.

Eh. I mean it certainly is not an either/or zero sum situation, so you can absolutely make a smaller thinner knife. I just don't expect it from EKI and I like to carry a bigger blade.

In fact, I sold my Mini Commander. TOO TINY.

UGH! I am so sorry man. That is petty. Any chance you are getting it back or will you eventually have to look for another?

Dear Members,

It seems like I'm noticing a trend. It seems like interests are looking away from large knives to smaller, more pocket-friendly sizes. Any thoughts?

Best,

Ernest
I definitely think the trend is going toward small knives. For many people a 2.5 inch to 3 inch blade is all they need. I’d be the first one to buy a new small, unwaved knife from you! The mini A-100 is the perfect little utility knife, and I think a lot of people were disappointed to see it discontinued.

I'd like to see something the size of a Mini CQC-7A, with a full flat ground, chisel edged blade. Sure, I might not be able to pry open a door with it, but it'll be able to cut more easily out of the box.
I couldn’t agree with you more! This is exactly what I’d love to see from EKI. I’d prefer no wave also, small knives don’t need to be deployed fast in most cases.

I carry smaller blades (3") in the office, but a longer (3.5 - 4") is so much more versatile in the field or doing chores that I always carry one when not in town. One thing I appreciate though, is if I have to have a shorter blade, I still like a normal sized handle (my hand does not get smaller when I carry a shorter blade). I'm ok with slim, though, as long as it is an ergonomic handle and useful blade shape. Also, extra thick blades - no use for them.

Indeed I love my Mini 7 but I always carry two blades, a user and a bruiser. My Sheepdog or Commander is usually the big boy and they're actually never used on a daily basis but I dig just admiring it in a quiet moment at the office.

Back