Trending Small

I couldn’t agree with you more! This is exactly what I’d love to see from EKI. I’d prefer no wave also, small knives don’t need to be deployed fast in most cases.

Yes! That's one thing that bugged me about the Traveler. The wave just looked out of place on such a small knife. That knife was pretty close to what I'm thinking, but give it a flat grind instead of the saber grind.

I like the design of the Scalawag. A small useful utility knife, built like a tank. Small, but definitely has the Emerson "face."

--Larry

Still would like to see the HD7 become a regular line up item; which due to its thinner profile is the most comfortable Emerson in pocket I have ever seen.

Still would like to see the HD7 become a regular line up item; which due to its thinner profile is the most comfortable Emerson in pocket I have ever seen.
For that reason I think a HD Mini A100 would be sweet. Or maybe a HD Mini Kwaiken.

For that reason I think a HD Mini A100 would be sweet. Or maybe a HD Mini Kwaiken.

I would REALLY like to see the HD7 especially and other framelocks become part of the continuous Emerson lineup.

I think it is a huge oversight to leave this portion of the market not covered. Many people associate framelocks with toughness (whether true or not is another debate) and I don’t get why a knife company touting itself as Hard Use doesn’t offer them regularly.

Also it would be nice if Ernest ever actually replied to these threads he starts.

I'd like to see another run of the micro commanders, with and without the wave. Judging by how hard it is to find one, I'd think that they would sell out quickly.

John

I'd like to see another run of the micro commanders, with and without the wave. Judging by how hard it is to find one, I'd think that they would sell out quickly.

John

I had no idea they were so desireable. I put one up for trade and everyone wanted it. I don’t ever see an advantage to not including a wave. If I don't want to wave the knife its not hard for me not to wave it. Might as well have the option there. I understand some people don’t like the looks.

Depends on the task, but I like having options. The regular Commamder is my work knife, but find I like some options for doing things around the house, neighborhood,etc without scaring my neighbors.

3”-3.5” is my preferred blade length. The Spyderco PM3 is a nice smaller blade for me.

If I could pick any non in production Emerson to bring back it would be the mini A-100.

I will be the odd man out here and say I can’t stand smaller blades. 3.5 is as small as I find useful for me. I don’t find bigger knives hard to carry or even noticeable well because I am big too. The smaller knives don’t feel secure in my mitts. I am still waiting on a Super Tiger Mr. Emerson. But I have a hunch it is going to be awhile until I get my shot at one. Keep up the great work and thank you EKI

Ernest, your normal sized knives seem slightly too small for my medium hands. The ergonomics don't work for me personally when scaled down. Mostly where the thumb ramp forces my very straight, not hitchhiker thumb to be. Full disclosure, I have only handled the full size 7, so I admittedly could be wrong about the others.

Based on my experiences, the ramp and wave on your knives pokes right into where my thumb would otherwise naturally control the spine, forcing me to open up and cramp my hand a bit, losing security. Especially on the small knives. I have experienced this with the minis.

So my opinion would be:

Smaller knives are more pocket and sheeple friendly, but your style is meant to be big and thick. To simply scale down an existing design doesnt work for me. The grinds end up more obtuse so they don't cut as well as their larger counterparts.

So if you could accommodate larger sized hands, thin those blades and either omit or modify the ramp/wave location, I would personally be a huge fan of the smaller ones. So maybe some original designs?

But plz never compromise your materials. Everyone bitches about the steel and hardness and locks and simple stuff. But this is the exact stuff that draws the majority of your fans to these knives, in this trendy world of unbreakable locks and brittle sulersteels that require tungsten to sharpen.

Do what you do.

An BTW, it is nice to have a maker participating in their community.

G-Jim is an awesome model. My wife confiscated mine (full custom w' SF rampant lion clip and .45 thumb disk) 2 weeks ago, demanding over-the-top divorce settlement. I miss it dearly, and look forward to not dealing with her.

Sorry to hear brother. My friend and business partner is going through the same thing right now. Evil bitch managed to affect innocent children, 200 people, and even MY own home with her insanity.

Hope yours goes better.
Good luck.

Aplogies for the derailment. Just struck a particular chord...

Ernest, your normal sized knives seem slightly too small for my medium hands. The ergonomics don't work for me personally when scaled down. Mostly where the thumb ramp forces my very straight, not hitchhiker thumb to be. Full disclosure, I have only handled the full size 7, so I admittedly could be wrong about the others.

Based on my experiences, the ramp and wave on your knives pokes right into where my thumb would otherwise naturally control the spine, forcing me to open up and cramp my hand a bit, losing security. Especially on the small knives. I have experienced this with the minis.

So my opinion would be:

Smaller knives are more pocket and sheeple friendly, but your style is meant to be big and thick. To simply scale down an existing design doesnt work for me. The grinds end up more obtuse so they don't cut as well as their larger counterparts.

So if you could accommodate larger sized hands, thin those blades and either omit or modify the ramp/wave location, I would personally be a huge fan of the smaller ones. So maybe some original designs?

But plz never compromise your materials. Everyone bitches about the steel and hardness and locks and simple stuff. But this is the exact stuff that draws the majority of your fans to these knives, in this trendy world of unbreakable locks and brittle sulersteels that require tungsten to sharpen.

Do what you do.

An BTW, it is nice to have a maker participating in their community.

Might I suggest a modified filipino grip if your thumb is having trouble with the thumb ramp/wave? As long as you push your thumb into the side of the blade abit you will be surprised at how much control you can exert.

Btw, the cqc7 is one of the smallest “standard size” Emersons. Most of his other standard sized knives like the Commander or cqc8 are considerably larger than the 7.

Sort of like this, except I find I prefer to press into the side of the blade with the inner side of my thumb rather than the pad of my thumb. I find this gives a wider range of motion.

KnifeGripModifiedSaber.jpg

I definitely seem to be gravitating towards smaller and easier to carry knives recently. My mini 7 is certainly my favorite Emerson model that I've personally owned and is a great EDC. I'd LOVE to see the mini a-100 make a come back as it's a great little blade for things like office carry. I will also say that overall thickness plays a part also, if a knife is too thick, I will tend not to end up carrying it and it will eventually get sold off or traded.

I've been lusting after an Apache for a long time too, I wonder if that model could even be made into a "mini" and re-released.

Nothing smaller than a CQC-7 for me. Sweet spot for me is a 3.75 inch blade.

Living here in Georgia I use the smaller emersons. I have two Mini A-100's I use constantly and I also use a mini 7 round the house.

when I travel abroad to Brazil (which I do frequently- and for long periods up to 3 1/2 months at a time) I take the big badass Emerson knives with me because there I have to depend on them for a life and death situation.

Back