Trending Small

Is there a chance we could get a heads up when the next run of Mini A-100's come up?
Would be nice for some of us who missed out on that 1 hour time frame. If we at least were given an approximate day and time.
Keep an eye on their Instagram and Facebook accounts. That’s where they announce everything. That’s also how I jumped on a mini a100 so quick.

Is there a chance we could get a heads up when the next run of Mini A-100's come up?
Would be nice for some of us who missed out on that 1 hour time frame. If we at least were given an approximate day and time.
I have never not been notified if I log in and add the knife to my WaitList/notification. Additionally, I always get the ECA alerts for pre-sale, and the Area 51 alerts. Seems to be working properly, just have to make sure you sign up for the knives you are interested in. And with this one Ernest gave us notice it was coming.

Probably not in that high of demand... just everyone asking for them is here!
Well quite a few folks here were interested, and more on another forum, and they sold out quick, so demand seems to be relatively high.

Found a small model I've never tried in the past, now I realize I was missing out. About the size of the 7, with more of a 6 shape blade, and a super grip - a minty 2000 Specwar B BTS:

vEK5Qhg.jpg

dqX8njG.jpg

7VCGG4M.jpg

T68ZDab.jpg

Dear Members,

It seems like I'm noticing a trend. It seems like interests are looking away from large knives to smaller, more pocket-friendly sizes. Any thoughts?

Best,

Ernest

I realize that I'm a little late to this conversation. But I do have a thought regarding the topic: Buck the trend! If everyone else is making small folders, then make more large models. What good is a company that follows trends? Seems to me that EKI should strive to set trends, as it's done in the past.

My personal take is that knives are getting smaller because they're increasingly becoming pocket jewelry and accessories for people who don't realize what a knife might have to accomplish when the chips are down. A Mini A-100 is a fine knife for an uneventful day at the office. But it's not the knife I want if today is the day that a disgruntled co-worker comes into the building and starts shooting, or if I'm the first person on-scene at a roll-over accident during my commute home.

-Steve

3 inches or less is the sweet spot for me for an EDC in an urban/suburban environment. I get some sideways looks even for using a 3 incher that looks "tactical". Just ordered a Micro Commander from the limited run that is going right now and am super excited to get it!

I like longer blades, but the grips on your full size models are too big for me.

What I'd really really like is a mini CQC 15 XHD.

For EDC I've never encounter a need for a blade bigger than 3 inches, and a 2-inch blade has always been enough to get the job done.

What's your EDC?

For a long time I EDCed a Gerber Ultralight LST, which has a 2.0-in blade. I was not doing much field work at the time, and the ULST was adequate for an office dweller.

I lost a couple of ULSTs to TSA. Fortunately, they don't cost much so are easy to replace. I put a Swiss Utili-Key on my key chain not long after 9/11, and have been carrying that since without ever being hassled by TSA.

I did an overnight backpacking trip into a nearby rain forest in the spring about a decade ago. Getting older I was reading up on ultralight backpacking, thinking that could extend my outdoor recreation years. Most ultralight backpackers don't carry a knife, but I regard some kind of blade as essential and considered my ULST a good compromise. It snowed on us that night and the next morning. I had an alcohol stove so we had no need for a fire, but realized the little Gerber would be useless processing firewood in a damp rain forest should a fire have been needed. Thus, I began EDCing a Bark River Mini Fox River, which I think has a 2.9-inch 3V blade, small enough to EDC (in a pocket sheath) and stout enough for camp chores if needed.

The only municipality near me that regulates knives more strictly than the state is, to my knowledge, Seattle. I read their ordinance to prohibit knives with blades greater than 3.5 inches. However, I reread the ordinance last winter and realized I likely misinterpreted it, as they seem to ban all fixed-blade knives regardless of blade length. Thus, I was in the market for a new folding EDC.

I've been buying folders since February. These are my first modern folders in that they have a pocket clip and can be opened and closed with one hand. A folder that rides on a pocket is more comfortable and accessible than one thats rides in a pocket. Thus, a heavier knife and bigger blade is easier to carry (the ULST weighs only 0.6 oz). The two new knives I carry most frequently are my Steel Will Cutjack Mini (3.0-inch blade) and my Benchmade Mini Freek (2.9-inch blade).

State knife law is quite vague and case law is rather scarce. One of our three appellate court districts (not the one I reside in) has ruled (but not published the ruling) that any knife with a blade longer than 3 inches is a dangerous weapon. Thus, I feel most comfy with a 3-inch or shorter blade, but since Seattle is okay will the a 3.5-inch folding blade, I've decided that's my limit for EDC. Per state law one can carry a dangerous knife as long as it's not done "furtively with intent to conceal," and I think as long as the pocket clip is showing I am not being furtive.

Last edited:
Just when I was in the market for a Mini A-100.... They've been discontinued for a while :(

I check Emerson periodically, hoping for another 3" model to show up among their offerings. In my state, 3" is the maximum, so all the other drool-worthy Emersons have to find a home elsewhere. I am a retired LEO, and the Commander I carried for over 20 years on the job has been retired to the display case.

I am on the waitlist (again) should the Micro Commander ever get made again. The last time one showed up, and I was alerted by email, I was on the road and couldn't get back home in time to purchase, so someone else beat me to it. Yes, that was a very sad day.

I wonder why the CQC14 has not been mentioned? 2.7" blade with a full sized grip. Seems like an excellent choice for those who prefer a smaller blade.

It's definitely on my short list, although I wish I could see one in person. In photos, the design strikes me as a bit...unbalanced and odd.

So my reticence to just grab one is based solely on aesthetics. Certainly not ruling it out, though.

It's definitely on my short list, although I wish I could see one in person. In photos, the design strikes me as a bit...unbalanced and odd.

So my reticence to just grab one is based solely on aesthetics. Certainly not ruling it out, though.
I have to be honest, the CQC14 is one of my favorite Emersons. I guess it depends on use though. I buy Emerson Knives as defensive tools and the 14 is ergonomically amazing. The short blade makes for really fast maneuverable cuts. I'd suggest you get one, you'll be happy.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, the CQC14 is one of my favorite Emersons. I guess it depends on use. I buy Emerson Knives as a defensive tool and the 14 is ergonomically amazing and the short blade makes for really fast maneuverable cuts. I'd suggest you get one, you'll be happy.

Thanks for the review. You've just nudged me a bit closer.

p.s. But I still really, really want a Micro Commander, regardless!

Back