Trestle Pine Knives Topper & Gunflint

So this knife was just 3 hrs from my door on the 3rd, but USPS and Canada Post had other plans, sent it on a long journey finally arriving today?
Anyways on to the knife, it certainly feels like a tank compared to my carry as of late, Enigma Classic but I expected as much comparing build materials. Now after my Northwoods ED Barlow made by queen I had decided Queen made knives weren't for me. (It wasn't terrible but not really good either, with some work I can and do use it from time to time) BUT, something about caplifters I guess, plus S30v and of course nice covers and the brass bolsters all combined convinced me to give it a shot. The knife is well built, solid with no play. Transitions are smooth and springs are flush open and closed. Pull is medium and feels right for the size. The wood isn't polished as much as I expected but I prefer it like this, I usually take some fine steel wool to take off some of the shine on a new knife anyway. Now the grinds appear rushed or done by someone inexperienced. I won't pick it apart bit by bit but hmmm. It was also the dullest out of box/tube of any knife I own. Took an hour to get her useable. Probably take 2 more sharpenings to get it the way I like, (I'm not patient enough to do that much sharpening work on a knife at once. I like to throw in in my pocket and put it to work right away). Actually I typically use the factory edge until it gets dull then give a good sharpening. Unless I just wanted it for spreading butter however, I had no choice. I was a bit worried about how the high sitting caplifter would feel using the blade but it's actually quite comfortable. It does takeaway from the ergos of the gunstock handle shape a bit however.
I think this knife will get quite a bit of pocket time and use. Can't think of anything else to add right now so I'll leave it at this and edit in a few days if I think of something.

Well 1 full day in and I'm still really liking it. It's pretty thick behind the edge and the tip is a wedge but after the hr sharpening it cuts well enough for me. Would be great with a regrind. My impression of this knife is it would be something one might put together if you worked at the factory and were told you could build yourself a parts/blemishes knife. I mean this as more of a compliment than a knock but something to consider if you're picky about even grinds, swedges, etc. If you know how to sharpen, and want a tough user that still looks good but you can use hard and not worry about cleaning right way this is certainly one to consider. It's also making for a nice one to fidget with, compact and heavy.

It's one of the few or only production traditional knives in S30v, glad to hear you like it. You won't get any premium steel from GEC. My Queens in ATS34 have performed well ober the years.

It's one of the few or only production traditional knives in S30v, glad to hear you like it. You won't get any premium steel from GEC. My Queens in ATS34 have performed well ober the years.

Yes, the S30V was the big selling point, I recently got my Enigma in a steel the same as or similar to Cruwear and I'm loving it! I can't speak to the s30's performance yet but if the slow going during sharpening is an indicator, it seems to be done right. As far as premium steel from gec is concerned, I love their 1095! But don't yet have anything in stainless from them, they don't seem to use it much, and not in any knife that interests me recently. I do wish they'd dip into a few more steel choices. If they do, I'll likely jump on one. It's a shame that Queen isn't at gec's f&f level, I think they'll need to step up their game or lower their price tag to stay competitive. But that's another discussion altogether.

I have/had Queen knives in Ats34, 420HC, 440c and D2. The heat treat was fine in them all.

Bringing my old thread back from the dead! So the Topper developed significant side play after a couple days. I decided to fix it, so I put her in the vice then peened the pivot. A little sanding and buffing and good to go, almost. I also reground it to I guess a convex grind that seems to work well and look good. I’ve had it rotation since and still really like it despite having to correct its faults. Perhaps that’s part of why I like it!
I broke down and went against what I told myself about not getting another Queen made knife and ordered a Gunflint. I’ll post about it once it arrives.

Still waiting for the Gunflint to arrive. USPS and Canada Post always like to compete to see who can do their part slowest, lol!
And I’ve given up trying to post pics. I have no more memory on my iPad to download more hosting apps and the ones I tried, (recommended by folks on here) never work for me.

Canada Post charges 10 cents for delivery and 90 cents for storage. Speaking from personal experience.:D

S spyderg , sorry about not being able to do pics. When it says upload a pic, I choose my photos on my iPad, or I can take a new one, upload it, and then post. Sounds like you may have to delete some from your library. Hope your Gunflint arrives safely.

First impressions of the Gunflint are mostly positive. The Hawaiian mango wood is beautiful. Transitions are all smooth. Gaps are minimal. Blade is centered. Out of the tube, there is no play, but I’ll wait and see if it develops like on the Topper. This is an extremely comfortable knife.
Spring is flush open and closed, sits below the liners at half. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest but I know some like flush all three positions so I figured I’d mention it.
Grinds are o.k. Functionally no issue but they aren’t perfectly even and in a pretty knife like this, I’d like them a bit better. The edge is o.k. as well, a bit course and again not quite even but it’ll sharpen up fine I imagine.
Action out of the tube is gritty but that should work itself out with oil and use. Walk and talk is nice, the pull is about a 4-5, similar to my GEC 15’s.
There is one problem. The tip hits the backspring at the butt end when closing. Now, I will likely just grind a touch off at the tip and that and a good sharpening should do it but I feel like that’s not something you should have to do on a brand new knife. But that was Queen near the end for ya.
Anyways so far I like it and I’ll post back after some carry and use.

Last edited:
Well, a week later and still no play. Solid as a rock so I’m optimistic it will stay this way. The spring now sits just a hair below the liners when closed. Doesn’t bother me but worth mentioning. I took a touch off the tip so it doesn’t hit anymore. Still using the factory edge with no noticeable dullling. I typically would need to touch up most traditional knives factory edges with similar use by about now. It carries very well and is comfortable in use. The brass is getting a nice patina. I’m going to get a lot of use out of this one for sure.

Back