Triad Lock Verticle Play??

Hello everyone i have a problem with my CS Voyager med that has up and down play . Is it because the lock bar has sunk down?( i did abuse it somewhat) Are there anyway to fix this?
5819d9987c0d8ce09c1142dfa930e0d2.jpg

ff478a9672211915945a8f850d6a4aa6.jpg

Not normal for any Tri-Ad lock, though after significant abuse this may occur. What did you do with it?

Not normal for any Tri-Ad lock, though after significant abuse this may occur. What did you do with it?
Just some light throwing and spine whacks( just had the urge to do so,not much tho) ,light prying ,stabbing but nothing too serious. Its really bizarre that the triad on this particular one had up and down. (The centering when i got it new was off aswell, gasp gasp) maybe a lemon?

Just some light throwing and spine whacks( just had the urge to do so,not much tho) ,light prying ,stabbing but nothing too serious. Its really bizarre that the triad on this particular one had up and down. (The centering when i got it new was off aswell, gasp gasp) maybe a lemon?

Maybe. I'm not used to Cold Steel folders being off center. It does happen once in a blue moon. Do remember that throwing puts a ton of stress on a knife, especially a folding knife. This is the reason why purpose built throwing knives exist - they're designed and tempered to handle the intense impact that throwing will place on a knife.

Exactly how much play is there?

Throwing and spine whacking are both abusive. Both likely contributed to vertical play.

You would be hard pressed to find anything that will break or loosen up a folding knife faster than throwing.

Last edited:
The lock bar is bottomed. This means the abuse has peened the locking surfaces and all the corrective adjustment has been used up. The lock will not fail, but you won't be able to get rid of the play without replacing parts. Rotating and locktiteing the stop pin might help. It would depend what parts are damaged the most. You could just keep it as a beater and get a brand new AUS8 version for 25-30 bucks.

I have a beater recon 1, when i baton it, the pivot will start loosening up casing up and down play. But i was able to get rid of it after i tightened it. Did you try tighten the pivot and see if it gets better? It's weird that triad lock develops vertical play, not just side to side when the pivot is loose-ish.
Also, unlike other lock, the vertical play wont probably cause it to fail, so if you can live it, you can probably leave it alone. Otherwise, it's only a $30 knife..

The lock bar is bottomed. This means the abuse has peened the locking surfaces and all the corrective adjustment has been used up. The lock will not fail, but you won't be able to get rid of the play without replacing parts. Rotating and locktiteing the stop pin might help. It would depend what parts are damaged the most. You could just keep it as a beater and get a brand new AUS8 version for 25-30 bucks.

+1. Could not say it any better.

Maybe. I'm not used to Cold Steel folders being off center. It does happen once in a blue moon. Do remember that throwing puts a ton of stress on a knife, especially a folding knife. This is the reason why purpose built throwing knives exist - they're designed and tempered to handle the intense impact that throwing will place on a knife.

Exactly how much play is there?
When i wiggle the blade vertically there would be a that ticking noise (not that loud but not soft either)

I have a beater recon 1, when i baton it, the pivot will start loosening up casing up and down play. But i was able to get rid of it after i tightened it. Did you try tighten the pivot and see if it gets better? It's weird that triad lock develops vertical play, not just side to side when the pivot is loose-ish.
Also, unlike other lock, the vertical play wont probably cause it to fail, so if you can live it, you can probably leave it alone. Otherwise, it's only a $30 knife..
Nah tightening the pivot doesnt do much except making the deploent tok sluggish. Btw i got the knife for 100bucks [emoji28] just the joys of living in southeast asia

When i wiggle the blade vertically there would be a that ticking noise (not that loud but not soft either)

It's just a tiny bit then, and I wouldn't worry about it. I have knives that cost many times as much that have more play.

Just curious, what's going on with the bronze washer over the Teflon washer? My Voyager had Teflon washers only.

Yes I ended up replacing the Teflon washers in mind with bronze washers but they only had single Teflon washers on each side

It's a great testament to the sturdiness of the triad lock that you can use it as a throwing knife or an axe to baton trees down and the lock will only develop minimal vertical blade play. Sounds like it's time to buy another and use this one to see how many holes you can put in scrap metal before it breaks!

Back