Triathlete custom JLLk1

etexas

Gold Member
My first attempt at re-handling a knife. Had this Triathlete for an EDC for over seven years. Wanted a full handle and decided to try and do it myself. Not having any experience it took me over a year to figure out how I wanted to do it. It took a lot of confidence or stupidity to cutup a $300 Randall. Hope you like it!

JLL1b6.jpg JLL1b7.jpg JLL1b5.jpg JLL1b4.jpg

My first attempt at re-handling a knife. Had this Triathlete for an EDC for over seven years. Wanted a full handle and decided to try and do it myself. Not having any experience it took me over a year to figure out how I wanted to do it. It took a lot of confidence or stupidity to cutup a $300 Randall. Hope you like it!

View attachment 1513087 View attachment 1513088 View attachment 1513089 View attachment 1513090
Etexas,
That looks like a very respectable job. I like the figure in the wood and the contours of the grip look like they would be comfortable. How long did it take you and how badly damaged was the original grip?

Foxdoublegunner

This is what a Triathlete looks like in it's original form. The wood is Bigleaf Maple Burl shaped into a boarder patrol handle. Thanks for your comments.
201-1-large.jpg

Wow! That turned out great! What changes did you make on the original handle? It looks like a stick tang on the pommel, can't really tell since I'm on my phone, though.

It's not a stick tang. It's a silver soldered stainless half inch, three quarter length with a short piece of stainless threaded rod to attach butt cap.

Ahh, nice. I've been wanting to get a Triathlete for awhile. I've got one more Randall that I need to get before I get it.

Back