Trifecta of Traditionals

Just some old acrylic Cubans: Dead Skunk, Grits & Molasses, Blue Oyster.

DIv4k9x.jpg

Trifecta fleet of canoes
"Remington" (probably made by Camillus, circa 2002) with fake stag covers.
Buck 389 with wood covers.
Rough Rider RR1062 "A Stroke of Luck" (the fancy green one) :)
View attachment 1402430

Rather than in a separate post ...

An Trifecta of 4.25 inch closed large stockman:
Rough Rider RR603 "Old Yella" (top) (440A blades)
Rough Ryder RR1057 "A Stroke of Luck" (center) (440A blades)
Rough Ryder RR1740 "Classic Carbon" (bottom ... but not last nor least.) (T10 blades)

View attachment 1402436

(All have been part of my EDC at one time or another. :) )

Somewhat mixed trifecta of moose (meese?) (mooses?)
Two crooners, and to balance them out, a tough guy. :)

First Crooner: Gene Autry (Rough Ryder RR1837 'Riders of the Silver Screen' moose)
Mr. Gene Autry is in Wikipedia's List of Greatest Crooners from the 1920's to the 1960's.

Second Crooner: Roy Rodgers (Rough Ryder RR1839 'Riders of the Silver Screen' moose)
Mr. Roy Rodgers isn't on the Wikipedia list, probably due to a oversight. He crooned/sung more than Mr. Autry.

TOUGH GUY: Hopalong Cassidy (Rough Rider RR1838 'Riders of the Silver Screen' moose)
"Hoppy" was the only cowboy "good guy" to wear black, say words stronger than "shucks" and "daRn", and the only one who when he went into the saloon ordered whiskey or beer and not a sarsaparilla (root beer) soda pop.

View attachment 1403037

(I wasn't sure where Red Ryder and Little Beaver (RR1836 moose of the same series) would fit in, so I left them out.
I don't have the sadistic dumb guy Zorro (who enjoyed carving a big "Z" on his even dumber foes ... why they didn't just shoot him before he got into carving range ...) moose. I don't know the RR number for that one.)

So the knives of this series can never be passed off as one of the highly collectable (and expensive) Camillus originals, or used for parts to "restore" an original, the Rough Ryder's all have the (ugly, IMHO) "Slant "R" bolster", a Rough Ryder tang stamp on both blades, and the Spear Point secondary is a lot more "Spey Blade-ish" than "Spear Point-ish" of the old originals. I think the etch on the main clip point blade is also different.
I don't know if these is a difference in the artwork. The Rough Ryder's also have clear acrylic over the artwork, rather than clear celluloid. :)
There are also fewer knives in the Rough Ryder series; No Dale Evans or separate Little Beaver knives, for example.

Last edited:
Trifecta fleet of canoes
"Remington" (probably made by Camillus, circa 2002) with fake stag covers.
Buck 389 with wood covers.
Rough Rider RR1062 "A Stroke of Luck" (the fancy green one) :)
View attachment 1402430

Rather than in a separate post ...

An Trifecta of 4.25 inch closed large stockman:
Rough Rider RR603 "Old Yella" (top) (440A blades)
Rough Ryder RR1057 "A Stroke of Luck" (center) (440A blades)
Rough Ryder RR1740 "Classic Carbon" (bottom ... but not last nor least.) (T10 blades)

View attachment 1402436

(All have been part of my EDC at one time or another. :) )
So you would consider the rr603 a good gift? I read somewhere about rough riders having thin blades, is that true?

So you would consider the rr603 a good gift? I read somewhere about rough riders having thin blades, is that true?
I like my RR603. :)
Lemmy get it out and measure the blades. :) (only have a ruler)

In answer your first question: Yes. I think it would be an excellent gift for one who likes a large stockman. It is a hair over 4 1/4 inch closed. (at least mine is.)

According to my ruler, the spine/tang at the widest spot of all the blades is right at 1/16 inch. Not "fat" by any means. :)

As mentioned in your thread asking for Rough Ryder or Schrade, I think the RR1740 Classic Carbon large stockman would be an excellent choice if you want carbon steel blades.
Same size as the RR603. Blades are right at 1/16 on it, as well. (be aware the blades on the Rough Ryder carbon steel knives with black G10 covers are a full 1/8 inch thick for some reason)
The RR1740 also has the classic yellow covers like the RR603, but have a different shield. The RR1740 also has a "Slant R" bolster on the mark side.

RR603 on top. RR1740 under. :)

View attachment 1406498 View attachment 1406499

(sorry. my auto focus needs glasses. :( )

Last edited:
Back