trip to Fallon, NV

We just got back from outside of Fallon, NV.

We're...househunting.

The location we are looking at is 3 acres, with water rights, about 6 miles east of town.

NE is a reservation, with a wildlife preserve roughly south. Due to the Top Gun school, there's a lot of lack of development over the mountains east of there. This is a good thing.

Lakes all over the area, too.

Back to the ranch:

Here's a view of the east side of the pasture (the back 2, not quite the back 40) from the edge of the orchard plot

2010-03-19-0001.jpeg

and here's the orchard plot. 6 trees in, room for another 9 or 12 with current irrigation trenches. We'll see how that goes- I want to put both a fish pond and a tiny travel trailer (for a guest house) in there. so it might end up at 10 trees, or 6. Plenty of room along the west and rear fencelines for some cherries, and it won't impact the pasturage.

2010-03-19-0002.jpeg

2010-03-19-0004.jpeg

And here's Leif with one of the local ponies, Cashew:

2010-03-19-0015.jpeg

2010-03-19-0017.jpeg

2010-03-19-0021.jpeg

more, much more, coming

Jessica and Astrid (little one) messing with the hammock:

2010-03-19-0020.jpeg

Forward east side small corral, just forward of the orchard plot. Fenciline, and the neighbors pasture beyond:

2010-03-19-0005.jpeg

Shade structure for the horses, solid enough to pull together into a barn or garage. Or whatever. Just south (forward) of the pasture.

2010-03-19-0008.jpeg

2010-03-19-0010.jpeg

SW corral area, between house and west side neighbor's lot.

2010-03-19-0009.jpeg

2010-03-19-0013.jpeg

more

Kitchen is still being remodelled, but the tile work is fascinating. I love it!!!

2010-03-19-0024.jpeg

2010-03-19-0025.jpeg

2010-03-19-0032.jpeg

Another random shot of the pasture from the driveway area, looking past the orchard lot

2010-03-19-0059.jpeg

The house rear, looking forward from about 15, 20 yards from the orchard.

2010-03-19-0055.jpeg

2010-03-19-0054.jpeg

The workshop space. Need paint, but the framing and shell are solid enough. I might put up T111 to match the house.

2010-03-19-0039.jpeg

2010-03-19-0042.jpeg

And one last shot of jess and leif in the back lawn area from the porch. The porch is full framed with the rest of the house structure, so it's possible to enclose as much or little as desired.

2010-03-19-0029.jpeg

Cristof,

It would be great if you and your family become Nevadans. Based on the people I have met from Fallon, it is a nice area.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting who is and isn't out there. I know DWK2 is relocating.

I've moved tables at the april show, again- my new home is on the R row, I think. I have to double check.

Well Lief looks pleased with the place. Sounds like you had a good trip and are still interested. How likely is a move now?

Very likely. It's all working around the money potentials right now.

A couple nice side benefits about Nevada: no state income tax, and it is very firearms friendly. Pretty easy to get ccw, no waiting period for buying guns.

The non-coastal West. In the end, that's what took WA and OR out of consideration. The coastal populations have started a political and regulatory trend that's just mocing us to 20 years ago in CA.

No income tax is nice, and the gun shows are awesome. BUt being able to put a wood stove in without ridiculous hassles- that counts, too.

The air is nice, we all felt better after a day over there, and noticed coming back into the Valley. Jess and I both wondered if there was a fire issue coming in, but it was just the ag and pollution haze in the bottom of the valley. Ugh.

Everything right now boils down to getting as much money together as possible. So I'm back to work, now. :D

Great pics....good luck with your potential move. Wherever you move...just make sure you keep making knives:thumbup:

Wow, that looks like a great place. Just be sure that the shop is up to spec. Remember our knife needs must come first, only then can you worry about your family's comfort. :D

looks nice christof! plenty of room for fun n games! although i was in LV and didnt much like my hood i like rural nevada alot...great gun laws unlike hawaii :(

A couple nice side benefits about Nevada: no state income tax, and it is very firearms friendly. Pretty easy to get ccw, no waiting period for buying guns.

Sounds good to me. Add to that some beautiful scenery.

Nice place and all the best in your move. I can't wait to get out of NJ!:mad:

Getting out is a definite plus. I escaped to PA, though can't say my current location is perfect. Lots of better places than NJ luckily though.

The non-coastal West. In the end, that's what took WA and OR out of consideration. The coastal populations have started a political and regulatory trend that's just mocing us to 20 years ago in CA.

No income tax is nice, and the gun shows are awesome. BUt being able to put a wood stove in without ridiculous hassles- that counts, too.

The air is nice, we all felt better after a day over there, and noticed coming back into the Valley. Jess and I both wondered if there was a fire issue coming in, but it was just the ag and pollution haze in the bottom of the valley. Ugh.

Everything right now boils down to getting as much money together as possible. So I'm back to work, now. :D

I remember going fishing off the coast of NJ a few years ago and was trying to figure out what this yellow/green haze was above the horizon and it was sadly the pollution from the land.

What kind of hoops do you need to jump through to install a wood fireplace in CA? Hopefully not the flaming kind...

Back