Trouble sharpening 940

I recently (yesterday) picked up a Benchmade 940. I have always wanted one, but I must admit the knife is a bit underwhelming. Blade centering was terrific but one of the screws holding the picket clip on was stripped and cross threaded. The edge was semi sharp at best but I didn't mind that since I have alway sharpened my own knives anyway. First thing I noticed was the blade had a low spot in the center of the straightest section that revealed itself after a quick pass on my diamond stone.

All that aside, I did what I always do. Use the red Fine DMT stone followed by my barber hone and finally a few quick licks on the strop. Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to turn up a sharp edge!

I have been using these stones for close to 15 years now and I've never had so much trouble! Is it the S30V? The only other "hard" steel I've had to sharpen is D2 but I have always been able to get a decent edge out of it.

Problem solved. Went all the way down to 325 diamond and reprofiled my bevel. Even after just a few strokes on the red plate and few strokes on the hone it's hair popping sharp and the bevel looks much better. My Benchmade factory edges have been sub par on my last two knives to say the least.

Reactions: Mo2
Benchmade knives have thick edges out of factory and have to be thinned down and reprofiled,after thatyou get razor sharp edge as their steels and heat treat is pretty good.

Back