Troubled Times call for Cold Steel

Decided to drop-the-hammer on another Cold Steel. This time it was the Voyager plain-edge, in large format. Should be here in a few days.

29ac.jpg

One of the great values on the market. Light, strong, good ergo s, thin grind on the blade, and very respectable edge holding.

I like mine. Can you tell?

When things are dangerous, and unsettled; it always demands extreme measures. Especially, in regard to personal protection, and security. My Cold Steel 4 Max, and Scout are always a 'part' of the solution. Lynn Thompson markets his blades as hard-use implements, and martial weapons. The perfect augmentation for your primary weapon, and security philosophy.

6hegEC2h.jpg

s7VHeTDh.jpg

4Nl4ryxh.jpg
Thought you would like this pic. It matches your spider web grip

I ordered a Frenzy 2 last night because I have been meaning to and also
because Cold Steel is a trustworthy source of martial blades.
As the OP said times are getting uncool and dangerous.

Thank goodness for Cold Steel...so many epic blades!

I've been putting the Voyager through it's paces, for the last few days. Its truly a 'bargain-knife' that's big-on-performance. Cold Steel pans-out into roughly, three-classes of blade. EDC's like the Voyager, the 'heavy-duty Warblade' class, and then; the Exotics, with some overlap. The SR1's, and Recons seem to get, a lot of hearty endorsements. I'm curious, as to what, Lynn and the crew will come-up with in the future. I'm sure it will rock!

XfiM3pnh.jpg

I carry a cute little holdout 3, Mainly because it doesn't actually weight anything and disappears right into the pocket all the knife I need really... Perfect for my box cutting needs.

Oh yeah I also usually have either a stylish heavy duty cane for quality support or a stylish city stick with a cute little skull on the top for maximum hand comfort.

I also tend to carry around a cute little flashlight for lighting the dark, and a cheap relatively sturdy little pen, can't tell how many times that comes in handy.

I also carry a Beretta px4 compact and 2 extra mags, and I have invested chump change in Mossberg Maverick for my car. These are in case I need to remove a threat to me or my family.

Its no secret; that I prefer the bigger carries from Cold Steel. My two two newest additions, Voyager and Rajah 3 have really impressed me with their toughness, and build-quality. Currently, looking at a lot of reviews regarding the Spartan. Another entry, that exemplifies Cold Steel's martial-philosophy. If anyone owns one, please chime-in on with your carry experience. Its on my 'short-list' to buy. Thanks in advance!:thumbsup::cool:

If I had to be in self defense scenario - I would prefer to have something with longer range than a knife.
That being said I still want my knife to be viable self defense option.

I carry a cute little holdout 3, Mainly because it doesn't actually weight anything and disappears right into the pocket all the knife I need really... Perfect for my box cutting needs.

Oh yeah I also usually have either a stylish heavy duty cane for quality support or a stylish city stick with a cute little skull on the top for maximum hand comfort.

I also tend to carry around a cute little flashlight for lighting the dark, and a cheap relatively sturdy little pen, can't tell how many times that comes in handy.

I also carry a Beretta px4 compact and 2 extra mags, and I have invested chump change in Mossberg Maverick for my car. These are in case I need to remove a threat to me or my family.

I don t know about any knife for self defense. But the Hold Out 3 has become my favorite 3 inch folder. Very strong and a great slicer.

Recon 1 gets some decent pocket time.

I have a clip point, a tsnto point...and an old axis (Ultra lock) lock Recon 1.

A5AYc18.jpg

0AW6EnR.jpg

4t2o6zo.jpg

wIpPJ1B.jpg

J2yFy0q.jpg

fucmuah.jpg

Occasionally a Safe Maker III and a Mini- Tac.

Lately the Recon 1 may be carried for chores...but one or both of these may be on me...Because fixed blades in CPM3v are fun.

9MoCuLX.jpg

KmO7lk0.jpg

i14Jwdv.jpg

Last edited:
Things are unsettled. Hopefully none of us are ever forced to use a knife as a self defense weapon. It's a horrifying thought, but sometimes bad things happen and you need to be prepared. With that in mind, Cold Steel offers some exceptional defensive weapons, and in my opinion -- wherever you live -- you aught to carry one with you every single day (law permitting). Along with a firearm I ALWAYS carry a defensive blade. My top two recommendations:

* Plain or serrated edge Vaquero: This 5.5" weapon is perfect for both slashing and thrusting attacks, it has a wide range of grip options, it's light and easy to carry and it wont take up too much space in your pocket. If it's legal in your state buy and carry one now. I prefer the Lynn Thompson model -- his signature on the blade gives it a +3 against undead and crackheads -- but the regular model is perfect as well.

* Plain or serrated edge Black Talon II: This 4" weapon is self defense perfection. Until you hold one you simply cannot appreciate how brutal this weapon actually is. As the name suggests, it is a Talon, a steel claw, and it's employment is instinctive. It digs in and cuts with horrifying efficiency. More, it is designed to allow anyone to use it effectively and without training. It's a claw, you claw with it. If you want to buy your wife or your mother any defensive knife, buy her this one.

When compared to the Spyderco Civilian, the Cold Steel is superior in every way. It's less expensive, it has better steel, a much better blade design, a wave feature, and a stronger tip. The Cold Steel Black Talon II is surprisingly thin and light, the blade is designed to compliment the wave feature, making waving easy to accomplish. The only negative: the blade is exactly the length of the grip. This is awesome, but be careful when you close this knife or it will cut you. I own and carry the plain edge, but either is fine.

Check your local laws, then buy one or both, and CARRY THEM EVERYWHERE.

I couldn't possibly disagree more about the bladeshape of the Black Talon II. I find the Civilian to be the superior bladeshape by a mile. I find the handle far, far more comfortable as well. Finally, Spyderco's serrations blow Cold Steel's serrations out of the water.

That being said, I love both of them.

Back