True American - Mann Edge Tool Co

One of my favorite line of axes/hatchets, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Thought maybe periodically we could have a discussion on different manufacturers, or specific lines of manufacturers, and perhaps hit on the good, the bad, and the ugly, and general overall opinions. I provided some pics for anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Group : I have more but couldn't find them (maybe that should tell me something??)

SAM_0096.jpg

My first True American -

SAM_0100.jpg

An oldie, but goodie. Have only ever seen one of these. There are more out there somewhere.

SAM_0099.jpg

A cruiser, a real find. Beauty.

SAM_0098.jpg

My newest addition to the True family, a real eye catcher. I don't think ever used.

SAM_0097.jpg

Ok so like I said just wondering if anyone else has experience with this line. You can find it on many types of axes and hatchets.

Thanks!

Great looking axes as always. I have no input other than they sure are pretty.

Best regards

Robin

wow, those are nice. i'll have to keep my eye out for one of those. i really like the cruiser. i need one for my collection.
my dad gave me an old true temper crusier that was his uncles, but his uncle really ruined the thing. he ground one edge straight and at a downward angle. don't ask me why someone would do that to a perfectly good axe.

I like your first axe the best, no nonsense looking axe, what weight is it? What are the dates of these axes, I've never seen that mark before.

Best regards

Robin

Those are sure lookers. I see True American axes on Ebay from time to time. Never gone after one for one reason or another.

To be honest with you, I dont know alot about the timeline associated with this particular line of axes. My first instinct would be that it could be a direct/indirect refernece to the fallout with the defunct American Axe and Tool Co, which many of the Mann family were part of. This could be a slight "poke in the side" to that. Or it could be a simple marketing ploy to get people to buy American. I don't know the exact answer, but I am going to find out.

I like your first axe the best, no nonsense looking axe, what weight is it? What are the dates of these axes, I've never seen that mark before.

Best regards

Robin

The first individual one i listed was actually my first re-do project. I listed the pics for it in another thread long ago. I will see if I can find those pics again, I have them somewhere. The axe head weighs approx 1 3/4 pounds, and in looking and feeling, it is too big for the handle it came on. But since it is so pretty, it won't see action. It is probably one of my top 5 favorties, seeing it got this whole mess i am now into going. And going. And going.

The True American logo I have seen with the oval, then in the last pic the fancy square, then I have also seen it just written on the head as well. I have a feeling all three belong to distinct time frames, but not sure. I will find out.

I have notice this brand on ebay a couple times and seems they went at the bottom end on price so most folks must not know anything about them. Or at least most ebay buyers. I watch those auctions to see axes, I don't consider it a good place to buy. price plus postage makes them way to high priced vs just keeping your eyes open locally.

O.
If I am seeing correctly all 4 of the marks are different. On the double bit are there cross bars on the bottom of the A and N? The diamonds are all different. If I had to guess myself based on marks I would say "your first" at the top is the earliest, the mark is very fine compared to the others. Of course they likely had a number of marking dies used at the same time and possibly certain marks for specific types of axes. Thanks for sharing

Best regards

Robin

O.
If I am seeing correctly all 4 of the marks are different. On the double bit are there cross bars on the bottom of the A and N? The diamonds are all different. If I had to guess myself based on marks I would say "your first" at the top is the earliest, the mark is very fine compared to the others. Of course they likely had a number of marking dies used at the same time and possibly certain marks for specific types of axes. Thanks for sharing

Best regards

Robin

I have a couple old hardware catalogs coming shortly, I will see what I can find out with that. I just got a 1930 Keen Kutter catalog with tons of info in it as far as axes, types, lines, and patterns in use at that time. Some real lookers.

operator, did you make that sheath for the last one? i really like that style.
and, where did you come across these old catalogs? humm...:)

Great looking collection...All in very nice shape . Thanks for showing !

I have a 1894 AATCo catalog, a 1937 Warren Axe and Tool catalog, the Keen Kutter one I just mentioned, and a few other ones here and there. I have picked them up in various places, old timers that still had them or guys that bought them at estate sales then sold them to me not really knowing what they had.

No, I did not make the sheath. I have little to no talent that way. I am more of the brute ugly force kind of guy. Maybe one day though I will look into it.

Really nice looking tools! I like that cruiser alot.

Group : I have more but couldn't find them (maybe that should tell me something??)

That should tell you that you need to send a few my way to "cull" the herd to a more manageable level! Just being helpful! ;)

mann!!! your not going to believe this. i was in town today-yesterday and went to a few pawn shops. last time i was at this shop they had NO axes...today they had 7.
i picked up a mann true american crusier axe and a sager 1946 chemical axe. there were a couple other nice ones, but i only had the coin for a couple.
the cruiser has a handle that is old but 'brand new' no wedge, just old and in perfect shape. i have been sanding and cleaning under candle light for a couple hours now, so i decided to come in and take a break.
the chemical axe is a little rusty, but otherwise in perfect shape. the bits are ---believe it or not--- shaving sharp. im guessing someones gramps died.
i will post pics when they are all cleaned up and ready to go. it may be awhile...hunting season is here...;)
i just had to post this...i walked in there and could not believe my eyes. i'll be damned, there is a mann...:)
they also had an old true temper michigan, but the poll was beat all to hell so i passed...
and i guess i should add; they also had an old vaughn head, but the poll was a little beat up. should i get it? the poll has been ground and then abused, but not to the point of no return.

Last edited:
mann!!! your not going to believe this. i was in town today-yesterday and went to a few pawn shops. last time i was at this shop they had NO axes...today they had 7.
i picked up a mann true american crusier axe and a sager 1946 chemical axe. there were a couple other nice ones, but i only had the coin for a couple.
the cruiser has a handle that is old but 'brand new' no wedge, just old and in perfect shape. i have been sanding and cleaning under candle light for a couple hours now, so i decided to come in and take a break.
the chemical axe is a little rusty, but otherwise in perfect shape. the bits are ---believe it or not--- shaving sharp. im guessing someones gramps died.
i will post pics when they are all cleaned up and ready to go. it may be awhile...hunting season is here...;)
i just had to post this...i walked in there and could not believe my eyes. i'll be damned, there is a mann...:)
they also had an old true temper michigan, but the poll was beat all to hell so i passed...
and i guess i should add; they also had an old vaughn head, but the poll was a little beat up. should i get it? the poll has been ground and then abused, but not to the point of no return.

what prices on the good and the one you are thinking about? I tend to not accept a lot of pole damage. But "a lot" is not very precise

the poll on the true temper was mushroomed really bad. what a shame:(
the poll on the vaughn was ground round, but the top of it was beat all to hell and mushroomed. it makes you wonder sometimes what people are thinking when they ruin perfectly good axes.
i paid $30 for both. they both have handles. the crusier handle is good as new (it has never been used. it was simply put into the head with out a wedge and never used).i cleaned it up last night. looks brand new...
the chemical axe handel is abused, but servicable. i'm going to replace it anyway.
they wanted $15 for the vaughn, i think i could get it for $12. it also has an old abused handle which i would replace.

Last edited:
Back