True American - Mann Edge Tool Co

Nice pick up.

The Mann True American was actually a "middle of the line" axe for Mann, the Knot Klipper series was top of the line. I have a double bit and a jersey with this mark, and am still looking for a single bit.

Which line shall we discuss next? I was thinking Kelly Perfect. Popular and sought after. Any suggestions welcome.

well, what about the sager chemical axes? i had never even heard of them until i bought the one the other day. pretty interesting history i have found out since.
anyone here have any experience with them.
i have really been wanting a nice true temper as well...

I would love to see some discussion about the Oakland Maine companies.. I have a John King myself. I know there were a lot of companies in Oakland, 10+

What do you think about a "vintage axe of the month" thread? Maybe even sticky it.

I think it would be cool. We could really delve into the history of the brand (like this thread accomplished) with the month dedicated to it.

Matt

What do you think about a "vintage axe of the month" thread? Maybe even sticky it.

I think it would be cool. We could really delve into the history of the brand (like this thread accomplished) with the month dedicated to it.

Matt

That's a great idea, it would end up being an important resource.

Nice pick up.

The Mann True American was actually a "middle of the line" axe for Mann, the Knot Klipper series was top of the line. I have a double bit and a jersey with this mark, and am still looking for a single bit.

Which line shall we discuss next? I was thinking Kelly Perfect. Popular and sought after. Any suggestions welcome.

Soooooo....pics of the Knot Klippers????

Edit: Maybe that's another thread since this is about the True American line.

Why don't we make Mann the "vintage axe of the month" for September? Let's throw up another thread for it, link to this one for the "True American" line. Then we can discuss other lines and the history of the Mann company.

For October, we can pick another...I liked the idea of going into Kelly.

If the mob is in agreement, I can go ahead and start a thread. Not that I have any Mann's... Thoughts?

Matt

I have a little boys axe stamped "Mann Lewistown PA" I'll try and snap some pics of the logo today or tomorrow.

I would say seeing it is the first time for this sort of thing, lets continue with this thread on anything Mann, then the first week of October I can start one on Kelly, and we will start Kelly off with the Kelly Perfect line, and then take Kelly from there.

So in continuing on with the talk on Mann Edge Tool -

AS far as different lines I have seen, I have seen GoldBond, Knot Klipper, True American, then ones that say Mann Edge Tool Co, Lewistown Pa. Most of their axes have this designation on the opposite side of whatever logo they were using. They (when I say that, I mean all the Mann brothers) were well in play in the axe making industry when the American Axe and Tool Co came knocking, and they all joined up, only to leave soon after. After leaving AATCo, then Mann Edge Tool was formed. Mann also made axes for the military, and then various other companies, such as Abercrombie and Fitch, perhaps Keen Kutter, and who knows how many other hardware companies and other special interests. Mann also was one of the few companies to make the Undercutter axe. And not to be forgotten, they also had the Norlund line, highly popular and sought after now. Over the years they even ended up acquiring Collins, I believe in 1965 or 66. I also believe they were in business until 2001 until they were bought out and all assests shipped south of the border to ole Mexico. (not 100% certain on that)

I have a couple Knot Klippers, a Gold Bond, a military hatchet, and I think a Robert Mann 505. I will see if I can find these an put up some pics.

One of my favorite axe companies. In my home state, have a long history, made quality products and did it for a long time. Hard to beat in my opinion.

Picture549.jpg

nothing else on it. It's a good axe, 2 1/4 pound.

This is a Great thread, thanks for starting it O. Love the idea of the monthly axe discussion.

Best regards

Robin

So I am not letting this thread die just yet. Since it has morphed into a Mann thread, thought I would add in a couple of the ones I had mentioned earlier -

Gold Bond :

SAM_0127.jpg

SAM_0128.jpg

Then also there is the military line :

SAM_0129.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg

Just a couple to put a picture to the names I was talking about.

Back