True American - Mann Edge Tool Co

So I am not letting this thread die just yet. Since it has morphed into a Mann thread, thought I would add in a couple of the ones I had mentioned earlier -

Gold Bond :

SAM_0127.jpg

SAM_0128.jpg

Then also there is the military line :

SAM_0129.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg

Just a couple to put a picture to the names I was talking about.
that gold bond is neat. when i was at the gun show a few weeks ago the guy that i bought the norlund from had one of those. it was in pretty bad shape, but could have been cleaned up with a lot of work, which i enjoy doing. but i had never heard of them before and he didn't really know anything about it or gold bond either so i didnt get it. i probably should be kicking myself in the a$$ right now... i dont know though, he wanted 35 bucks for it. would it have been worth that?

Nice. Different logo style as well. I have seen that one, but don't have one just as of yet. Looks like a nice piece. Thanks!

Lets not forget the Norlund part of Mann Edge. I know there is a seperate Norlund topic right now, but I will post the one I cleaned up for reference on here :

SAM_0047.jpg

SAM_0046.jpg

These were the after photos, after I got this one all cleaned up and ready to show. These Norlunds to me feel weird, top heavy I guess, but this little bugger I could see in a belt of a trapper - would make a great tool. So while not typically for me due to how they feel, they are a nice little tool overall I would say. Lot of guys like them, and they usually sell very well.

Yes, as far as I have ever read.

There is a little confussion about a company with a similar name previous to this, but I guess no direct correlation. Mann, once they became one of the major players, made axes for various different hardware institutions, and other companies, and then also different lines, such as Norlund.

Hope this helps.

October - Kelly Axe and Mfg Co. This is a big line, not sure we are ready for it, but get ready to discuss. I will post it come 10-1-11.

I have the same thoughts about my Norlund. I am going to try putting it on an offset handle to see if that makes up for the weird balance.

I have found my Norlund to be acceptable in balance. Maybe because it's so small the effect of the imbalance is minimized. The balance between the poll and bit is certainly not great. This is posted elsewhere, but here's a photo to compare the handle. I actually like the handle quite well (with the exception of the horrid cracks). I'd be curious to know, G-Pig, what you come up with as I will probably have to replace this handle at some point.

P1050957.JPG

Here's some history on Norlund: http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Norlund%20Co..html
Here's an interesting tidbit from the article:
"Recent observations strongly suggest that the brand has been sold again and axes under that name may be being manufactured elsewhere, perhaps in the far east."
Does anyone know about this?

Matt

The last I knew some company bought out Mann and moved them to Mexico - you still see the Collins name on new axes with big ugly yellow labels and poor quality. I thought when I looked at one a couple months back it said mexico on it - and seeing Mann bought Collins and all the rights - that would make sense. However I do not know about the Norlund line and any current production.

well, what about the sager chemical axes? i had never even heard of them until i bought the one the other day. pretty interesting history i have found out since.
anyone here have any experience with them.
i have really been wanting a nice true temper as well...

Sager ruled the Northwest woods until they invented chainsaws. The Puget Sound faller brought the BIG ones down! Hard to find now but there are lots of Sager swampers around in this area at flea markets etc.

I am not letting this one die yet either, someone asked about some of the other lines that Mann made. When digging thru, I found another True American style (imagine that) and a RapidAx and a Knot Klipper that I forgot I had. Getting old I guess. Here you go :

SAM_0180.jpg

SAM_0174.jpg

SAM_0167.jpg

My Knot Klipper.

Mann Quickcut - now living somewhere out in God's Country.

Mann Edge Dayton. This one has beautiful geometry.

f5084892157511e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

I've come into a few Mann made axes, a couple of which are interesting in my opinion.

23559476436_2480dfc35d_h.jpg

23289842460_c08e9e7b07_h.jpg

22967464113_e270d25a8c_h.jpg

A better image of the stamp.

The Rockaway is stamped OLD TIME in an oval. From what I found this was a James H. Mann brand that later became the Old Timer brand produced by Collins. I will try to get a better image but trust me when I say there is no R after the E.

22958538313_616ed31416_b.jpg

22957396774_74db4fc661_b.jpg

I came across pictures of a Red Warrior Rockaway, not mine but it appears very similar to my OLD TIME Rockaway though in much better shape.

23289815750_ab10cffac6_h.jpg

22958460763_d05c122149_h.jpg

The little guy is 11oz and is stamped William Mann Lewistown PA on one side and Lippincott Co. Pittsburgh PA on the other. Looking at the history of Lippincott and William it seems that this head was made some time in the mid 1800s, correct me if I'm wrong. It may be the oldest axe I own. The steel doesn't seem very hard but it did take an edge and seems to hold it so far.

23503149731_c641c0d17c_h.jpg

23289843920_943e66de7c_h.jpg

The last and the one I've had the longest is my Mann Edge Tool Co True American boys axe. This is a favorite of mine and a pleasure to use. The steel is good and hard. Files skate across the bit and it takes and holds and edge nicely. I've often wondered when this was made as the eye has a hand forged look and feel compared to other axes I own.

Anyway I wanted to revive this thread to share these axes and see if anyone had more information or Mann axes to share.

Last edited:
They were a great axe company. I have an old calendar that says in 1913 they were making 1 million axes a year. Imagine what Kelly was doing then. I have some others I will post up. Thanks for reviving the thread!

I'm new to collecting axes but I had a few of my dad's that I cleaned up and it sparked an interest. I was at a thrift store today and picked up an old double bit axe for $12. After getting it home I found that it was stamped with Mann Edge Tool and Mill Hall on one side. It was stamped with Knot Klipper and Warranted on the other side. After searching a bit on the internet it looks as though this axe must be at least 90 years old. Can anyone provide me with any more information about it? It was hung on the wrong type of handle so I think I will clean it up and rehang it.

Thank you for the information. It had some rust but not as much as I would have thought. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Bumping life into an old thread, I re-seated a neighbors pulaski on a double (different) stickered handle. The well worn head is stamped MANN LEWISTON PA on one side and TRUE AMERICAN on the other. I'll get pics tomorrow but I was wondering first if I could tell its age and second if anyone has seen one before.

I have a Mann pack axe stamped in that same manner. I'll attach the information Steve Tall gave in that thread as always his research is good.
DM

Back