• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

TrueNorthKnives

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to get to my story a few months ago i found out about TrueNorthKnives dealer while searching for Shirogorov Cannibus. So i browsed the site and looked for folders i like and might purchase and as usual before i do business with any dealer i like to get the feel of them on what kind of people run that place. So i browse the policies and procedures and specifically their returns policy. I know its a tocuhy subject on returns with some people and you right in your own way. However for me when i spend $500+ on a folder i like the ability to return it in case the looks of the knife are not same as the feel. Meaning i love the way the knife looks and cannot wait to get it in my hands but as most of you know sooner or later you will be disappointed. You will come accross a folder that even though looks amazing but it feels like crap and there some nitpicks that you just simply cannot ignore and decide to return it. This is where the story begins to unfold and true face of the dealer comes to light.

So i sent an email to them asking them about their return policy. Keep in mind i first read it and saw the restocking fee i think it was 10 or 15%. For a $500+ that restocking fee can be huge and i am not willing to pay that. If you feel that you are willing that is up to you. I am ok with being charged the shipping charge that they incured when they shipped it but thats about it. I specifically asked them about the restocking fee as i believe it said "may be charged". Well that word is too flimsy to me so i asked. Got an email response back please call me/us and provided their phone number. When i saw that i was astonished that they are not willing to put their policy in writing and be specific not broad with the word "maybe". So i replied saying "if you are not willing to respond via email in terms of your restocking fee and how it may apply then thats all it tells me about your company" or something along those lines. I know it was harsh of me since i was a bit angry. Then they replied with very few to only 1 word i believe, something along the lines of "ok" or "thats fine". Dont remember exactly what words. I was soooo upset i deleted all correspondance as i did not want anything to do with them.

Well you would think that was the end of the story but behold it is not. A day or so ago i was browsing the forums here and somebody either had a link or something about TNK so i typed in the search bar TRUENORTHKNIVES.COM and behold the reason for this thread.

Will show the reason in pictures below but want to add a bit more. Went to the website from ipad and iphone and same result using my in in home WIFI. Then turned off my wifi on phone and went to website the phone's signal and website loaded normally. Also tried using my friends home wifi and it was fine there as well. So basically back to the very first sentence SORE LOSER. They blocked my IP address so i cant visit/browse their website.

The time span from when i sent email and found this out is in months.

Soo look at IP block evidence below. Too bad i deleted the messages. :(

First my friends Wifi pictures
28295fc2e7edb2c4594102ba6f245fd6.png
da64b304f44559f49ed1e0fff313c4d5.jpg

Then my ipad pictures using my blocked Home Wifi
9edf1e516dc3efb028b2cb0f5c814a63.png
7b97321ba6254ef445a7783f8e5a0186.png
e1d6e14e4cbef1716de08dae06a76565.png

Same with iphone using blocked IP from home WiFi
0182bf95ff7605782221341865b3296f.jpg

a4631b39bca25bab69bfe3bd8f6f0ba8.jpg

b92bc81b74dd5787fc51d38e40c6d9db.jpg

Finally with iphone without using home wifi to prove that it works
7ba63133c3bf9d8010526b45ae247946.jpg
71bb04fecacc47a0a743144c4394ef8f.jpg
ab2edb4db2795bd107f64cac7b631eb1.png

Might have been harsh of me but blocking someones IP is major in my book for just simply asking their policy and wanting written proof since i have come across plenty rotten apples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things that I view differently than you...

When they gave you their phone number and asked you to call them, I did not interpret that to mean that they were unwilling to put their return policy in writing. On the contrary, I thought, "That's nice of them to talk to this guy on the phone so they can be sure that the buyer is on the same page and understands their policy thoroughly, and he has a chance to ask any and all questions."

It seems you were upset that they seemingly blocked your IP. I will assume that they in fact did that. That said, TNK can choose whom they choose to do business with. They don't owe you anything up front. If you came off as a "hot head" or for some reason someone got a bad vibe from you, they are free to take their business elsewhere. Maybe a business transaction with you would go off just fine. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth. Nobody said they have to take you as a customer just because you have the money for a knife they have.

By your own words, you were "harsh". Can you understand why someone may choose not to do business with you?

You have a good point but keep this in mind if i was harsh and upset then sooner or later my hate would have dissepated but after this it will never end.

Well there are two sides to every coin as you said so to speak. And yes they have the right to chose but instead of trying to calm the situation they chose add gasoline to the fire instead. Its that fact that upsets me most of all.

You didn't want to do business with him. He doesn't want to do business with you.

Where's the problem?

First of all there was no financial transaction between you and TNK so you should not even be opening this thread as no deal exists.

Secondly they have the right to do business with any one they choose and block anyone they don't care for from their site.

It sounds like they made the right choice.

Its your choice to buy something site unseen, if they charge a restocking fee if you don't like your purchase then its their choice to do so. Don't like the restocking fee don't buy the knife simple solution to me. I don't see where they did anything wrong at all.

Another reason True North may not have wanted to put their spoken words into writing is that they were offering you an exception they did not want publicized by reposting their email. This would effectively change their policy by giving every customer reason to expect that exception to apply to him.

When they gave you their phone number and asked you to call them, I did not interpret that to mean that they were unwilling to put their return policy in writing.
Not so sure. I wonder what the company would have said after the phone call if the OP would have asked, "Would you mind sending me an email stating what we just agreed to?".

We will likely never know.

I agree with the post that says, you didn't want to do business with them and they didn't want to do business with you. Like most here said where is the problem? You didn't commit to anything, they didn't commit to anything, there policy on the website states the restocking policy, so there ya go. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here with the thread? Although I am sure if you didn't like the knife for any reason, didn't have it for an inordinate amount of time in your possession and sent it back within a couple of days in exactly the same condition as received they might cut ya a break on a minimum restocking fee vs. the full blown restocking fee. TK has a pretty good reputation as I understand it although I haven't dealt with them in years. But when I did my experience was positive.

You dodged a bullet with this company. Companies should ALWAYS back up what they promise IN WRITING so the customer has recourse. Any company unwilling are untrustworthy. Companies like Busse , ESEE and many custom makers ALL provide in writing what the deal is. How many times do people have to get the run around before they learn this? To block you was a new low set by a company. Its was personal, emotional and most of all WEASELY. Anyone who can't see this is or support them probably take campaign promises seriously too. Continue to support your oppressors, they love naive chumps, in fact, they live off you. Well done for reporting them and not rolling over like a yellow cur.

Here is what it says on the TNK site: Q) Do you offer an inspection period?

A) We offer a 3-day inspection period for you to decide of you have bought the right item. As long as the product is in the same condition as when we shipped it, you may return it for a full refund, minus all shipping costs.
Please call or write for an RMA and return instructions before sending a product back to us. We reserve the right to charge a restocking fee of 10%.

Now I am sure that if you send a knife back at the end of the 3 day inspection time, in the exact same condition as received you will be good to go as in only paying for shipping charges back. If you send it later and it shows a mark that wasn't on the knife you will be charged a restocking fee. Seems reasonable to me.

I've got no dog in this fight. I've never ordered from TNK. They may have blocked your IP address.

I think you will find that starting a thread with his tone, based on these details will simply get you blocked by a goodly number of members here (by blocked, I mean added to ignore lists.....It is how many of us decide in advance who we won't do deals with.

I think, if you had the ability to check, like an IP block, that a goodly number will, in fact, add you to ignore.

Last edited:
"In two words if you reqd below and dont understand it just remember this "SORE LOSER"

Not sure that I understand your intention here.....either your post is to confusing or the overall conflict is.......

First of all there was no financial transaction between you and TNK so you should not even be opening this thread as no deal exists.

Secondly they have the right to do business with any one they choose and block anyone they don't care for from their site.

I have to agree , the OP isn't out a dime ! I had to learn the hard way about selling things. Like the time I let this jerk test ride my used car for sale. After checking out the car for 30 minutes he asked for a test drive on the freeway and closed the hood when I went into the house. So we're on the freeway for about 10 mins when the hood fly's up smashing the windshield, bending the hood and hinges. Oh in case you're wondering, he didn't buy the car. How about the time I had another car for sale and this guy calls late and insists he wants to buy the car and has cash in hand . So I tell him to meet me in the El Paso P.D. parking lot in an hour allowing my daughter time to drive over the mountain to drive me home. Well we all meet and go for a ride and he really likes this car. Everything's going well until he say's " will you take payments " :eek::eek::eek: My daughter immediately asks him to drive back to the parking lot IMMEDIATELY knowing all to well her father is about to explode and it won't be pretty. We all know that the same kind of people exist right here as knife purchasers. OMG the texture is too rough and hurts my delicate hands or the blade jimping messed up my manicure. So here we have a customer who's biggest concern is returning a new knife that the retailer likely knows is going to be sold in a minute with out all this hesitation and nervous foreboding . Lets face it , some people are " never satisfied " ! Oh and let's not forget all the happy customers of this retailer of whom I have no personal transactions with right here on our forum. ;)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/535164-True-North-Knives-EXCELLENCE!!!

TNK's return policy sounds pretty reasonable to me. As far as the communication is concerned, I don't think they were trying to hide anything. They probably just wanted to make sure they understood what the OP wanted and that can be easier to do in a conversation than through an email exchange.

Here is what it says on the TNK site: Q) Do you offer an inspection period?

A) We offer a 3-day inspection period for you to decide of you have bought the right item. As long as the product is in the same condition as when we shipped it, you may return it for a full refund, minus all shipping costs.
Please call or write for an RMA and return instructions before sending a product back to us. We reserve the right to charge a restocking fee of 10%.

Now I am sure that if you send a knife back at the end of the 3 day inspection time, in the exact same condition as received you will be good to go as in only paying for shipping charges back. If you send it later and it shows a mark that wasn't on the knife you will be charged a restocking fee. Seems reasonable to me.
Restocking fee only if the knife is marred? Doesn't make sense, but if that's the case it out be clearer. A $50 charge for restocking a $500 knife isn't anything to sneeze at. I too would be curious as to how they decide to exercise the restocking fee they state they reserve the right to charge for returns.

I quess I would have talked to TNK and asked for clarity on the optional 10% charge. Give them the situation you are worried about-action not right. See if they would charge you in that event. Then write an email confirming your conversation, understanding and thanking them for taking the time to explain.

Last edited:
^ OP: I'd really like to get Neil O's take on what actually transpired. What I've learned from my experiences dealing with TNK, is that Neil's a smart, shrewd businessman, & in this instance I have no doubt that his company made the right call. This thread should've never been started in the first place! :thumbdn:

When they gave you their phone number and asked you to call them, I did not interpret that to mean that they were unwilling to put their return policy in writing. On the contrary, I thought, "That's nice of them to talk to this guy on the phone so they can be sure that the buyer is on the same page and understands their policy thoroughly, and he has a chance to ask any and all questions."

It seems you were upset that they seemingly blocked your IP. I will assume that they in fact did that. That said, TNK can choose whom they choose to do business with. They don't owe you anything up front. If you came off as a "hot head" or for some reason someone got a bad vibe from you, they are free to take their business elsewhere. Maybe a business transaction with you would go off just fine. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth. Nobody said they have to take you as a customer just because you have the money for a knife they have.

By your own words, you were "harsh". Can you understand why someone may choose not to do business with you?

^ :thumbup:

Sounds like they did the right thing to me. Wow!

I agree with the post that says, you didn't want to do business with them and they didn't want to do business with you. Like most here said where is the problem?

I think you will find that starting a thread with his tone, based on these details will simply get you blocked by a goodly number of members here I mean added to ignore lists.....It is how many of us decide in advance who we won't do deals with.

We all know that the same kind of people exist right here as knife purchasers. OMG the texture is too rough and hurts my delicate hands or the blade jimping messed up my manicure.

Lets face it, some people are " never satisfied "!

Oh and let's not forget all the happy customers of this retailer

^ I am one of Neil's happy customers!

Last edited:
Restocking fee only if the knife is marred? Doesn't make sense, but if that's the case it out be clearer. A $50 charge for restocking a $500 knife isn't anything to sneeze at. I too would be curious as to how they decide to exercise the restocking fee they state they reserve the right to charge for returns.
I'm just thinking the restocking fee may be at their discretion in the case of a 100 % legitimate & reasonable issue regarding the return in which case it won't be charged.
I actually purchased a knife from knifeworks once that was " deeply " discounted because it had been previously sold and returned. Nothing wrong with this knife except being it had been sold and returned they no longer considered it a " new " knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back