TruOil

Does anyone see anything wrong with rubbing a few drops of TruOil over the handles on my HI blades?

It does such a nice job on my rifles/pistols... really helps the wood stand up to weather/moisture. I'd be careful as to not build up a gloss of course, just a light coat. A slippery handle is certainly not the goal.

Brad

Brad, I love truoil. I haven't used it in years, but my very first khuk got the tru-oil treatment. It is a villager model made by Kumar. I did the sand, oil, buff, sand, oil, buff, sand, oil, buff, etc. method. What a gorgeous "pop" of color to the grain. I sealed it up with a little poly, and it hasn't developed a crack of any kind in over 6 years:thumbup:

It's my finish of choice. You can make it as glossy or as matt as you want. And it's easily repaired.:thumbup:

Steve

Hilt.jpg

katanaguard.jpg

KobraHandleSmall.jpg

I've never tried horn with TruOil, but I would imagine that it wouldn't work that well. I'm thinking that it would end up sort of tacky to the touch and splotchy. For horn, I like a product called Hooflex. You can find it at most feed stores that offer products for horses. It conditions the horn, keeps it from cracking, and glosses it a bit. If you want to polish the horn up a bit, that's easily done with a little ultra fine polish and a rag:)

Love the Tru-oil.
My handles would look like Steves, and be as sharp as his are...:):thumbup:
Once I send them to Steve to work on:D

I've freakin' Tru-oiled all the kitchen knives, garden tool handles, even the wooden handle on my snow shovel. Who knew a shovel handle had such soul:)

Mark

I've never tried horn with TruOil, but I would imagine that it wouldn't work that well. I'm thinking that it would end up sort of tacky to the touch and splotchy. For horn, I like a product called Hooflex. You can find it at most feed stores that offer products for horses. It conditions the horn, keeps it from cracking, and glosses it a bit. If you want to polish the horn up a bit, that's easily done with a little ultra fine polish and a rag
No, you're fine to use Tru-oil on horn handles, it does set. Tends to bring out any detail/transluscence as well.
Just make very sure that there's no grease on the the surface from handling, so as to get even coverage.

I happen to be seeing to a 1940s horn handle at present -- it has just dried after a thorough application of Keratex (hoof-hardener), and now it will get Tru-oil coated.

Not tried Hooflex, but it sounds good too.

I've done rifles in Tru-Oil, following Steve's formula.

Completely happy with the results. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mike

Small moment to honor Walosi.

:)

King of the Woodchucks.

Last edited:
No, you're fine to use Tru-oil on horn handles, it does set. Tends to bring out any detail/transluscence as well.
Just make very sure that there's no grease on the the surface from handling, so as to get even coverage.

I happen to be seeing to a 1940s horn handle at present -- it has just dried after a thorough application of Keratex (hoof-hardener), and now it will get Tru-oil coated.

Not tried Hooflex, but it sounds good too.

Since one of the primary ingredients in Hooflex is Neatsfoot oil, can I just use that?
I have a jar of Neatsfoot oil that I use for all of my leatherwork. Thanks.

Back