Trusted Knife Steel Sources

Maybe next time your down saying hi ask him why the 1075 he keeps selling my customers won’t harden or has soft blotches in the middle of the bar. I’m not trying to dog him or say his service is crap. I just would like to get it figured out so my customers and fellow knife makers like you don’t continue to get burned in the future. It would be nice of him to pop in here from time to time and ease people’s mind.
Have you tried calling him and telling him the issues you are having? It would be better for him to hear it first hand from the person that's having issues.

Please, let's not make this about anyone in particular. Aldo is a very good friend of mine and you won't find a better guy. Let's keep this about steel sources you've dealt with other than NJSB that you have had excellent and predictable results from their steels. I'm not even concerned so much with customer service. I'm only concerned with getting predictable and proper results from the steel.

Also, it has to be said, my own problems have a lot to do with my oven. I am doing tests right now to work through those issues. If you are not sure you know exactly how your oven is performing don't be so quick to blame the steel, regardless of the source. I'm not saying that I'm done buying steel from anyone. I'd just like to have options.

Maybe next time your down saying hi ask him why the 1075 he keeps selling my customers won’t harden or has soft blotches in the middle of the bar. I’m not trying to dog him or say his service is crap. I just would like to get it figured out so my customers and fellow knife makers like you don’t continue to get burned in the future. It would be nice of him to pop in here from time to time and ease people’s mind.

I will stay out of this. However, those having issues should be addressing it with him.

Have you tried calling him and telling him the issues you are having? It would be better for him to hear it first hand from the person that's having issues.
So I was informed today that this steel did not come from NJSB. My customer did buy 1075 from NJSB but upon looking around he found NJSB’s bar sitting in the corner. This was 1075 that was bought from a vender on eBay. I have informed NJSB to let them know and I’m backtracking to see any posts I might have made that could of implicated them in this. My sincerest apologies to involved.

THIS STEEL WAS NOT FROM NJSB

Last edited:
"So I was informed today that this steel did not come from NJSB. My customer did buy 1075 from NJSB but upon looking around he found NJSB’s bar sitting in the corner. This was 1075 that was bought from a vender on eBay. I have informed NJSB to let them know and I’m backtracking to see any posts I might have made that could of implicated them in this. My sincerest apologies to involved.

THIS STEEL WAS NOT FROM NJSB"

OK, this is why I didn't want this to turn into a bashing party. I'm not interested in any and all sources for knife steels. I'm only interested in vendors known in the community who have fairly direct ties to mills who can provide certs and tracking of batches/melts. I'd like these suggestions to be places that you have dealt with more than once and provided steel that has heat treated and performed with excellent results.

"So I was informed today that this steel did not come from NJSB. My customer did buy 1075 from NJSB but upon looking around he found NJSB’s bar sitting in the corner. This was 1075 that was bought from a vender on eBay. I have informed NJSB to let them know and I’m backtracking to see any posts I might have made that could of implicated them in this. My sincerest apologies to involved.

THIS STEEL WAS NOT FROM NJSB"

OK, this is why I didn't want this to turn into a bashing party. I'm not interested in any and all sources for knife steels. I'm only interested in vendors known in the community who have fairly direct ties to mills who can provide certs and tracking of batches/melts. I'd like these suggestions to be places that you have dealt with more than once and provided steel that has heat treated and performed with excellent results.
Niagara provides certs. I haven’t bought from them, but I hear good things. I’m in Canada, so I mostly go with AKS. I’ve never had a bad piece of steel from them. I used Knifemaker.ca in the past, great people to deal with, but as far as I know, they get most of their steel from NJSB, and they have a limited selection. If I was forging mostly, I’d order from Knifemaker. Knifemaker doesn’t do higher alloy steels, which is what I mostly use now. I’m avoiding the cycling needed in stock removal applications, and AKS just makes it easier. They go out of their way to maximize shipping efficiency for me too. I’ve ordered from Hudson, when I need larger pieces. It’s bloody expensive, but if you need 1” thick 3v, that’s where I go.

NJSB, Aldo is a top notch guywho is fun to be around AND has good product. He does have a booth at Blade Show West. If you are out that way you should go meet him!!!

Last edited:
Back