Try to Sell me an alox vic

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Say you work in or own a knife shop which I walk into looking for a new Victorinox knife, but I'm torn between a standard cellador model like a tinker or recruit and an Alox model like perhaps a cadet or farmer.
Convince me why I should buy a more expensive alox model vs a less expensive cellador model that's not missing anything.

As it stands right now I love the looks of alox and the color options, but don't like the lack of the toothpick and tweezers nor am I particularly interested in the fingernail tool being on my knife. The nail tool may be useful, but I carry a pair of clippers which aren't there and they have their own fingernail tool . Lastly I like having the pen blade even though I don't use it all the time.
I pair a classic with any non sak I carry which I could easily do with an alox model, but then again I could just go with cellador and not have to.
It seems as though the alox models are what's trendy right now and what people care about right now, but I'm really not sure why.

Thank you for posting the question. I've been debating this very aspect myself for quite a long time. I look forward to ask people have to say...

So far I only have Vics with cellidor and nylon scales and have been postponing getting an alox one.

I can wash up the alox version, blade open, under soapy water and never worry about losing my grip. It's thinner and tougher. Looks better too.

If the tweezers are a must, then the alox models are not for you.
The alox models are slimmer overall with slightly thicker & stronger blades.
The cellidor scales get scratched easily and can break. You don’t have to worry about that with alox.

Other than that, they are all fine. Correction: they are all great EDCs and users.

Then there is always the knife nut’s solution to the problem of choosing between two alternatives: get them both. :D
You can always pair up an alox model (e.g. farmer) with a Vic Classic, and you will have 3 blade sizes, scissors, nail file, toothpick and TWEEZERS.

Alox is the SUV, cellidor is the sedan.

Don't fight it, and get both a Farmer and 58 mm cellidor of your choice on the keys. They go together like peanut butter and jam.

For me its the Pioneer X and Rambler.

Last edited:
If you need a second blade, get the alox Electrician or Harvester model.

That's why the alox in my EDC rotation is the Harvester. I also love the saw, which actually cuts very well. And the awl, a surprisingly handy tool and located in the proper place: the end of the knife, where it can be used efficiently for boring holes in everything from leather up to soft metal. You can only get that awl placement in the alox models.

Reasons

a. Prettier, colors are "truer" and more vivid

CAM03936_zps0u1jfqu4.jpg

b. Tougher, they won't crack or break

20170501_133852_zpstgeon1ng.jpg

c. Grippier, that texturing really helps if wet

20161221_091613_zpsbuj9o3dz.jpg

d. Sturdier, they won't fall apart

CAM03770_zpsfkmozqdy.jpg

if toothpick and tweezers are a must, take a Classic with you or carry a proper set of those!
Both options are lightweight and really easy to have on your person 24/7

CAM03818_zps5f6n6dnm.jpg

Alox;

Stronger constuction.
No plastic scales to break, and I've had Victoriox cellidor scales break. It's a crappy ,material that is pout of date compared to more modern and far superior polymers.

Better grip under cold and/or wet conditions.

If cellidor is the sedan, then alox is the 4WD heavy duty off road vehicle.

Just plain classy. A Vic cadet will even go well with a tux for formal wear. Basic silver looks great for about 25 years. Then it gets a little aged!:D

Put whatever 58mm on your keyring, and then a two layer alox in your pocket and never look back. You'll thank me in a few years, and wonder why you ever fooled around with those 'lesser' SAK's.

They're inexpensive. Just buy one, if you don't like it then give it to a neighbor.

The price difference between, say, an Alox Pioneer and a cellidor Tinker is almost negligible, if you consider the years of use you will get. Even though it lacks the tweezers/toothpick, the Alox Pioneer's awl is FAR superior and effective compared to the rear-opening awl on the cellidor models. It's not a hassle for me to also carry my cellidor Executive for the scissors, nail file, tiny pen blade, tweezers/toothpick, etc.

Alox models are more durable. I recently accidentally dropped my Pioneer on a hard tile floor, and it barely got dinged. If it had been a cellidor model, a handle scale likely would have broken or popped off. A couple years ago, I was using it to cut something, left its blade open in the counter and accidentally knocked it off. I pulled my foot out of the way and the blade landed tip-first in the linoleum floor. The knife was sticking up in the linoleum at an angle. There was no damage to the blade at all, only a very slightly rolled section of edge near the tip, which was easily fixed on a Sharpmaker in under half a minute. Now, a cellidor model might have also had a similar result (depending on the heaviness of the model), but the Pioneer's thicker/stronger blade probably also helped.

The one thing I don't like on the Alox models is the keyring attachment. But I keep it on, because I sometimes need to attach it to something.

Jim

Alox is the SUV, cellidor is the sedan.

Don't fight it, and get both a Farmer and 58 mm cellidor of your choice on the keys. They go together like peanut butter and jam.

For me its the Pioneer X and Rambler.
Yup exactly. For me it's the Pruner and Rambler. Incredible combo.

I thought the alox models were quite a bit more expensive, because my local hardware store had the tinker for 20$ and an alox model ( not sure which because it's in the display ) for about 36$.
I also didn't know that the alox models had thicker blades, I like how thin and slicy the blades on my cellador models are but I probably wouldn't mind because I have other knives with thicker blades that cut just fine.
BTW I only have a few keys to carry and don't put anything on them, especially not a knife.
So far I haven't heard anything that would make alox a game changer to me for an edc blade ( don't drop them, hard use them, or use them in wet conditions)
But I still think they look nice, so I'm going to look into some alox models and see if one interests me.

Well ! The pioneer interested, but it's about 15$ more than my tinker was everywhere I look. I like the way alox looks, but it has less function and the awl is probably the only thing it would do better.
( my classic has 20yr old scales on it that have held up fine so I'm not worried about strength )
Then there's the cadet that I found online for a very resonable 22$, but with that nail tool it in my eyes looses out big-time to my beloved recruit.
If it had that awl making it an 84mm pioneer and was still in the same price range I'd probably jump on it in a heartbeat.
basically I'm mostly interested in the pioneer but not the price to utility ratio so I'll have to wait till i find one on sale or something.

Anyways thanks for the input guys, I've learned something about the alox models I didn't know, and you've made me want to get a pioneer at some point.

Here's the real question. Why can't they just release alox models with tweezers and toothpick?

View attachment 709261 If they can make a Ti handle with tweezers, why an Alox handle?

That Ti handle you have there is a set of Ti scales on what was a Cellidor knife. One big difference in construction between Alox and Cellidor is the Alox does not have liners, one of the reasons it is thinner in spite of having thicker blades and springs. The toothpick and tweezers (and straight pin and pen on plus scales) fit between the scales and the liners. No liners, no place for them to fit. Of course, they could put liners under the Alox, thus making them thicker and heavier, or they could make Alox scales for Cellidor models, but that is another can of worms.

You can't go wrong with either in my opionion. Like others have said if you go with alox pair it with a 58mm. It works well in formal occasions as well. I have a Pioneer X in alox and love it. In cellidor I carry a Deluxe Tinker and love it. I do carry the DT more as it has more tool options, I am getting a Recruit as well in the future. Whatever you model you choose you will get a great value and quality.

Back