Trying to understand why, so let's discuss it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say that and it’s a perfectly reasonable response. The problem everyone has is that this whole thing started with you basically stating that you don’t see a reason for modern folders existing and wonder why everyone doesn’t just carry traditional pocket knives.

I did not do a good job with putting it into words, but it just seemed that a form of knife took off faster than it should of when it was so vastly different than what was most common at the time.
I was not thinking that many belt knife carriers might prefer a folding alternative if a good one came along.

I'm done questioning it now.

I understand you have experienced some downsides to traditional folders for your needs, I simply have not.

If one of my slipjoints ever folded on me, required sharpening multiple times a day, or I dropped it off a ladder or something because my other hand was full I would likely carry something modern.

I'm in my 50's. There's a Glenfield 30-30 that I had modified to 16.5" leaning an arm's length from my chair as I type this. I can readily put my hands on lever guns, double barrels, and even one single action left. My living room is all old fashioned and western complete with a decorated bull skull, two John Wayne framed drawings, Russell replica statues, antique furniture, and even some mounted wick lamps.

I get nostalgia.

I can also lay my hands on semi-autos, Spydercos, TV remote, XBox controller, a lamp, AC, and these really nice slippers I've had for years now.

Nostalgia is one thing, letting it define you to the point of blindness is another.

You say that and it’s a perfectly reasonable response. The problem everyone has is that this whole thing started with you basically stating that you don’t see a reason for modern folders existing and wonder why everyone doesn’t just carry traditional pocket knives.
All I can say is that it certainly got the BF juices flowing!

The only inch thick knives that I can think of off the top of my head are the multi-layer SAKs. Ugh as far as carrying them, but they are traditional knives.

Yes, I did. Marketing has made some folks think a folding knife has to have a locking blade, (with a blade lock that will support at least 1.5 to 3x more than the user weighs) before it is safe to use, and you "need" the "latest and greatest" steel.

Companies selling hundreds of thousands of modern folding knives somehow equals "Marketing has made "some" folks think a folding knife has to have a locking blade".

LOL, cool story, bro.

I love traditional slipjoints, don’t get me wrong.

But when I think back on how many times I had a SAK or Slippie unintentionally close or partially close while using it makes me appreciate a well built locking folder.

I don’t think either modern or traditional are better than one another. Just different with different features.

Pretty awesome really when you consider the vast amount of choices a person has.

So, what you're saying is that you got attacked by "marketing"? :D

I did not do a good job with putting it into words, but it just seemed that a form of knife took off faster than it should of when it was so vastly different than what was most common at the time.
I was not thinking that many belt knife carriers might prefer a folding alternative if a good one came along.

I'm done questioning it now.

Almost like it was such a tremendous step forward that everyone saw it and said "THIS IS WHAT'S BEEN MISSING!" and suddenly everyone wanted it. I mean, there are plenty of reasons why the Buck 110 became such a huge sales success and it's not because "Eh, the old stuff was fine, no one really needs this."

Limits of my imagination?
Those inch thick " knives " that Jim Skelton guy shows off, what am I supposed to think?

Those are the kind of knives I was referring to.
Seems like you're moving the goalposts in a pretty major way. There's a huge difference between your average modern folder and 'inch thick knives that Jim Skelton guy shows off'. Maybe that was what you meant all along, but it bears little resemblance to the conversation we've had so far.

it just seemed that a form of knife took off faster than it should of when it was so vastly different than what was most common at the time.
......automobiles replaced horses and burros for transport, fans were replaced by AC, electric lights replaced candles and oil lamps for light, hot water on tap in the home is provided by electric or gas, heating is more often by electricity or gas than fire, wooden axe handles get replaces with synthetic options.... as the world turns, things change and improve (yes a locking blade knife of a better quality steel IS an improvement over what was before) .....it DOES NOT mean that what came before still can't work for you or other but it also does not mean that the people embracing technology or change have somehow been hoodwinked by marketing. Nothing took off fast than it "should have", people just embraced an improvement, hell till last year I drove a 23yo 4x4 and was happy, could still be happy with it today, but even one as nostalgic as I ( and yes I am) knows that the one I am driving now is (on the sum of all things - not just one) a better vehicle than the old one.

Seems like you're moving the goalposts in a pretty major way. There's a huge difference between your average modern folder and 'inch thick knives that Jim Skelton guy shows off'. Maybe that was what you meant all along, but it bears little resemblance to the conversation we've had so far.

Absolutely not.
He said it's all marketing hype, and I said that I've realized it's not as true as I thought for the typical modern folder but could still be true for the extra large extra thick less useful ones.
Or do you think those Jim Skelton specials are just as useful of a cutting tool as everything else ?

a form of knife took off faster than it should of when it was so vastly different than what was most common at the time.

So vastly different? Both have a blade, a handle, and fold. Not like we're comparing a machine gun to a bow and arrow.

So vastly different? Both have a blade, a handle, and fold. Not like we're comparing a machine gun to a bow and arrow.
I said it was the idea that I had before which I have realized is not as true as I thought, I've said this a few times already.

Absolutely not.
He said it's all marketing hype, and I said that I've realized it's not as true as I thought for the typical modern folder but could still be true for the extra large extra thick less useful ones.
Or do you think those Jim Skelton specials are just as useful of a cutting tool as everything else ?
I don't pay much attention to Jim Skelton, so I glanced at his channel to see what you’re talking about. I find him a bit sleazy, but I definitely think Drew Hara, Peter Rassenti, Michael Zieba and Todd Begg are making some pretty goddamn nice cutting tools.

I've learned everything I could from this thread and I no longer have the questions I did.

Thanks to the posts that were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back