TSA scissors question

From what I've read in several places, scissors less that 4 inches is allowed by TSA in carry on. Nowhere I've looked clarifies if this is blade length or overall length. My wife wants to take a hair cutting scissors blade length less than 4, overall length more than 4. Post a link if you have one, otherwise don't reply if you don't know for certain. It's a domestic flight, not international if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

I think its overall length. The reason I'm replying is that there are no rules. Each agent can use their discretion to allow or deny pretty much anything, and the rules are intentionally vague to allow for this. Either way, pointed scissors would likely be denied.

I fly with scissors in my carry-on with blades 3.2 inches and overall length 5.5 inches. Been doing it for years. Go through TSA at least 80 times a year. They very rarely look at them, but never an issue to date. I also always have a self-addressed and stamped priority mail box in my computer bag, just in case they might take issue or if I somehow miss a knife.

I also always have a self-addressed and stamped priority mail box in my computer bag, just in case they might take issue or if I somehow miss a knife.

That's a really good idea.

Why not just check them? Is she planning on trimming other passenger's hair mid flight?

Can't speak for the OP, but I prefer carry on. Checking bags typically costs extra cash on most carriers, I don't want to plan to spend extra time checking a bag, especially with the route into my local LAX as craptastic as it is, and don't want to wait for baggage claim to cycle. Or hassle with missing luggage. It's not that I won't check a bag under any circumstances. It's just easier to travel with carry on, and reasonably sized scissors are an easy way to bring a cutting implement along for the ride.

Back