How To Tube polishing tip

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
Before any HOG calls BS <and I don't mean Battle Saw ;):p> on my blades not being users because the tubes look so pristine, I'm making a pre-emptive strike and sharing how to keep them factory fresh. Hope it's useful to you guys & gals! :)

BTW, nothing wrong with Busse Safe Queens...I've got a couple of those myself...

But anyways, it's been a while since anyone posted a similar thread, so here ya go...

This is BY FAR the most simple, quick & dirty, no fuss/no muss way to get it done I've found.

My tools/supplies are:
1. Mother's Chrome Polish...good stuff:thumbsup:...just use a tiny amount
2. Cordless Drill
3. Dremel felt polishing cone thing & mandrel
4. *Chuck Norris toilet paper* :p ***see paragraph below for explanation

So one of the examples of this thread, my BM-e, has had the dogs**t :eek: beat out of it, but you'd never guess by the looks of the tubes. :cool:

CInIreL.jpg

***A friend of mine had about 90 new stackable office chairs ordered, so I helped her remove the fabric off the legs that had been put there to safeguard the legs from getting scuffed. *I noted it was rougher & tougher than public school toilet paper and it got me to thinking it'd make a great polishing cloth in the right application. I wouldn't use it on satin or high gloss flats, but it works great on rougher finishes. Gun patches work too, but they're a bit more softer and don't give the result this fabric does...plus this stuff was FREE which always appeals to a PIRATE HOG...free booty ARRRRR! ;)

check out the texture of the stuff...
QBAQ3qR.jpg

TGLB, unpolished side...
D5TfxqN.jpg

Dressed for Easter dinner, ready to slice the ham!
xEvN1BJ.jpg

Crud removed!
50m1NBm.jpg

...use just a tiny smeary dab of Mothers on a clean patch, put it on the tube, press down on the patch with the polishing cone and buff it in good with some pretty decent pressure working the drill around at high speed...the cone does a great job conforming to the contours of the tube...then get a clean patch and buff repeating a similar process...you'll be able to comb yer hair in the reflection when you're finished! :cool:

Last edited:
Nice work, I have been thinking of different ways to complete this task. Your way seems the easy effective way I was looking for.

Nice work, I have been thinking of different ways to complete this task. Your way seems the easy effective way I was looking for.

Glad I could help, that's why I posted it up. :)

This method is cheap, quick, easy, requires a minimum of set up, and cleans up easy.

When I put it that way, it sounds exactly like what I look for in a date for the weekend. ;):p:thumbsup:

Oh, btw, make sure you secure the blade by clamp to your bench because the last place on Earth you'd want to be is on the business side of an INFI lawnmower! :eek:

Yeah, just remember to use clean patches to apply chrome polish and then also clean patches to buff.

I started out trying to use the cone itself, but it quickly loads up with crud and becomes like a loaded benchstone when you're sharpening-- it just gets too slick loaded up with junk to do any good.

But the felt cone works PERFECTLY as a backer for the patches to conform and press the patches into the tube! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back