Tuko sheath breaking in

Picked up the tuko recently because, well, i hate money...

I am really pleased with it overall. Santoku is already a great design and with ethans handle, its very comfortable. The micarta is a lighter color than i had anticipated but i have noticed it has been getting darker(i think) after using it awhile. It goes without saying but i do wash the micarta with the blade after every use. Its a nonissue regardless.

u4x99Dk.jpg

Only thing ive noticed is small flakes of the sheath when i unsheathe it. Its a hard steel with hard edges so its only natural to remove some of the sheath material on the withdraw. I was wondering if others have noticed this and if it goes away with time. Im guessing anywhere the blade drags across and removes material will dig out and make it smoother as well as cleaner.

Yysm79R.jpg

6jIadh6.jpg

Pictures are a bit blurry with a phone camera.

I just wipe it off and get to work. If it bothered me i could get a new sheath but its not that big of deal. Its just something ive noticed and wondered if others have noticed it also.

Congrats Mass1632 Very Nice Find :thumbsup::thumbsup: Try giving your Sheath a good rinse or better yet if you have an air compressor blow it :pout . I’ve never had any issues like that with mine. If it’s not just left over particles it should likely work itself out.:)

Congrats Mass1632 Very Nice Find :thumbsup::thumbsup: Try giving your Sheath a good rinse or better yet if you have an air compressor blow it :pout . I’ve never had any issues like that with mine. If it’s not just left over particles it should likely work itself out.:)

Dang, those are good ideas. I didnt even start to think of anything like that. I figured someone here would have some good input. Either way, i agree that itll work itself out.

Thanks for the advise!

Always thought that a good looking knife. I want one. Congrats.
What was EBs intention with the hole in the blade - merely for hanging the knife when not in use?
Not sure, Im altogether thrilled about the hole for food processing.

Great find! :thumbsup:

From time to time I notice very small pieces of the bolatron sheath too. Nothing substantial. I always take a paper towel to the tuko before I use it.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone. Ive been doing the same with a paper towel.

Always thought that a good looking knife. I want one. Congrats.
What was EBs intention with the hole in the blade - merely for hanging the knife when not in use?
Not sure, Im altogether thrilled about the hole for food processing.

Im pretty sure that hole is for hanging it up after use. It has a couple uses, mostly i think to hang it to dry after washing so as not to put a wet knife in a sheath where water would be trapped and mildewed and possibly rust(less chance with s35vn). Another use is if youre camping and still using it and dont want to set it on an unclean surface and you cant put it back in the sheath, as then youll get the food residue inside the sheath, just hang it instead. Im no chef and ive only used it for 4 meals so far but the hole hasnt been involved with food processing yet. I do use a different technique for this knife than i others i noticed.

Sharp edges (not THE edge) on your blade will definitely scrap surface bits loose of a sheath if it's tightly molded. I'd knock the edges off the spine with some 240x sandpaper. And yeah, blow it out with a compressor (not your breath, which will trap moisture inside). One reason I usually don't rivet my small knife sheaths is so they can be easily cleaned out, especially for carbon steel blades. But you can't always get away with that...

Sharp edges (not THE edge) on your blade will definitely scrap surface bits loose of a sheath if it's tightly molded. I'd knock the edges off the spine with some 240x sandpaper. And yeah, blow it out with a compressor (not your breath, which will trap moisture inside). One reason I usually don't rivet my small knife sheaths is so they can be easily cleaned out, especially for carbon steel blades. But you can't always get away with that...

Thanks for the response and suggestions.

I was thinking i may need to do just that. After washing it out, it has all but stopped pulling out flakes of the sheath. If i get to fidgeting with it and have some sandpaper around, ill knock those edges down. As of right now, theres no real urgency to it.

So let's say for the sake of conversation I was you, In terms of dollars, how much did I hate my money?

Also, with 120 ish made and sold I gotta believe not many are users.

Oh mines a user. Especially at $250

Im not putting down that kind of money and not making it work for me(im no chef but it helps me make dinner). I recall a year ago $155 being to much to spend for it. More recently $200 was just money i wasnt willing to burn. More recently, i had an issue with fedex and a firearm so i got $1,000 refunded to me. I kinda got excited “free money!” So i figured most if not all had found there forever home, after all only 120.... So $250 is doable.

Feels bad that i could have gotten it for half but at the end of the day, its worth it.

Back