• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

tuna sword sale

due to funding the new electric being run to the new shop i am offering at a sale price 2700$ (was listed as 3100)

A fun build and was a nice challenge for me as its the biggest knife to date that I have made. Made for fileting tuna its part sword part sushi knife. While most are more bland I wanted to dress this one up a bit.
(just a note that with a slight steeper edge angle on the front this could be the end all be all carving knife at a BBQ just not for bones)

In keeping a bit with tradition the blade steel is a high carbon water quenched type and just like swords in japan i added clay to the spine to produce a hamon of sorts. the blade is hand sanded and lightly etched to show the "clouds in the steel" a bit better. the blade grind is hollow on the back using a 4 foot wheel equivalent platent on my grinder. the front of the blade is a compound grind of flat and part convex. the blade is sharpened during the finishing of the steel with only a polish of the edge to finishe the honing.

The WA handle starts off with mokume gane of nic-silver brass and copper then on to African blackwood. the thin spacers are nic-silver and accent the stabilized buckeye burl. finishing up the handle is a nic-silver cap that is threaded on to the tang of the blade itself.

the finished specs
320mm of handle
610mm edge with a blade total of 627mm
edge height at heel 37mm and at the tip 30mm

asking price is $2700 USD

back of the blade
dsc05287crop.jpg

a bit of the front and handle
dsc05292sm.jpg

front of the handle
dsc04868sm.jpg

back of tip
dsc05295sm.jpg

Butch, I know you've been holding onto this one for a while and I hope it really sells. If we only had more tuna in West Texas... :)

other thing is that as soon as my power is run to the shop if its not sold the price goes back to reg. price anyhow this was just to help pay for that

Butch, that is a beautiful blade. If I had to carve any tuna or moose I would be all over that.

Back