TV show Alone situation

Which knife?

• Field Knife

• Heavy Duty Field Knife aka NASK

• Light Chopper

Results are only viewable after voting.
The little one was hickory as is the one I have on order. The grain orientation was about as perfect as I could want also.
Thanks, I have a couple Gransfors that are Hickory, but no ash handles, was wondering how they compared;)

I looked back on a few contestants to see their loadout and season 1 winner Alan Kay took a kukri, an axe, and a saw.

I agree. I'd like to see more time spent on the 10 item selection. What they chose and why.
You're totally right. Most contestants take some form of all 3 tools and go in with the mindset of really being able to homestead with a lot of (relatively) large scale woodwork.

If you find the History Channel app on a smart phone you can watch short clips where each contestant outlines their 10 items with a little reasoning behind them. Not a full out discussion, but still cool to see.

I'd go with a large axe, a large saw and the HDFK!

Damn. I'm shocked how many people chose the HDFK without even holding one.

That is a vote of confidence if I've ever seen one.

And Hi, SN!!

Damn. I'm shocked how many people chose the HDFK without even holding one.

That is a vote of confidence if I've ever seen one.

And Hi, SN!!

I agree about the shock, but if ever there was a place for confidence in quality, CPK is it. I'm sure everyone is pumped for the HDFK, myself included. I haven't ever used such a large knife as my primary, so it's an adjustment to my normal tactics. I'm looking forward to having one in hand to see what other parts of my normal equipment might end up being unnecessary, or at least adjusted..

I'm very attached to a 3-4 inch fixed blade as my primary.. something like the HDFK will be a lot more knife than I'm used too.

These two would be my choice.
The SFA could handle any shelter making work while the FK could do the detail work and fish cleaning.
View attachment 729085
Yes.. for me this is very close to what I'm used to carrying. This is an ideal loadout in my book. Firewood... no praaaablem... cutting stuff.. no praaaablem.. #fourseasonsforreal.

Yes.. for me this is very close to what I'm used to carrying. This is an ideal loadout in my book. Firewood... no praaaablem... cutting stuff.. no praaaablem.. #fourseasonsforreal.
Yep.
I wouldn't be cutting down any large trees or chopping through scotch broom so these two will work.
That terrain is completely different than what I'm used to, so I'd probably tap out after a week of being wet and cold. I'm used to dry Colorado weather or California sun.

how long are they out there for the filming of the show?

I really used to be into smaller knives, never cared for choppers or medium sized blades. Then one time I was out on horse back in the winter snow, we needed a fire really bad, and everything was wet, I found some decent cord wood, but had to use my small knife to split it to get to dry wood, it was a pain in the ass with numb wet hands. So after that I've settled on a medium to large blade, with the right edge and a choil you can do anything you need to with it. Just a much more useful tool! You can skin anything just fine with an 8 inch blade, plus you can chop, and baton. Paired with an axe, the minimum size I would carry would be the nask. I don't think I would be lugging my axe out of base camp to try and find food. So I would want a decent size knife on me.

Hello Silver!!

Yep.
I wouldn't be cutting down any large trees or chopping through scotch broom so these two will work.
That terrain is completely different than what I'm used to, so I'd probably tap out after a week of being wet and cold. I'm used to dry Colorado weather or California sun.

Standard, I still remember (and get a chuckle) out of your plan when this was discussed elsewhere :thumbsup: :D

I've never seen the show, but I remember it discussed elsewhere. Are they even allowed water filters? I know they're not allowed steel snares which for me in a long term situation would be invaluable.

But of the choices given, I'd take the LC without a second thought, provided I'm allowed a dangler style sheath that can be tied down. I grew up on small blades and am a late-comer to big blades, but with a change of technique larger blades can accomplish about anything a small blade can, albeit perhaps with less convenience. There's just some things that small blades struggle to get done, and I agree with the combination large blade/small blade sentiment expressed already which is my preference, but not the theoretical question posed; therefore the nod to the LC.

Once you get onto it and adjust how you approach cleaning game, you can fly through small game with a big knife. I did a thread in the hunting section last year cleaning blue grouse with a NMFSH. A rabbit or squirrel can be cleaned faster yet. It can get argued until you're blue in the face though, because folks that have never tried it will say how much faster it can be done with a small blade, and the argument becomes wearisome. Justin makes a great point that much small game can be cleaned with your hands if need be, or with the help of a stick or pointed rock to pierce as needed.

I don't think I would be lugging my axe out of base camp to try and find food. So I would want a decent size knife on me.

Exactly my thoughts :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes a sheath like this

Exactimundo!!

giphy.gif

I would have to choose the HDFK.

While not identical to an "Alone" situation - I did some backpacking in central Vancouver Is. (Philips Ridge in Strathcona Provincial Park) this last Fall, and I was truly alone for the entirety of the trip; I didn't see a single person on the trail for 3 days.

I was pretty out of my 'comfort zone' (no fires allowed, no firearms, unfamiliar territory, no cell service etc.) but I had my ESEE6 with an Izula piggybacked to the sheath, as well as my M390 Ritter grip folder in my pocket.

I only had to use the ESEE for some minor brush clearing, but I know the weight, size, and versatility of that blade is all I would need out of a survival tool.

Benson X Benson X i agree with you because I see my ESEE 6 as a (almost) perfect do-all one tool option. I've been envisioning the NASK as an ESEE 6 upgraded in every way.

Back