TV show Alone situation

Which knife?

• Field Knife

• Heavy Duty Field Knife aka NASK

• Light Chopper

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for as well. My 6 has been my go-to camp/hike knife, but I expect that will change once the HDFK is "unchained".

JustinFournier JustinFournier Hard Knocks Hard Knocks dudes!!!

This is a really fun thread. I haven't started watching the new season where the competitors are in pairs, but I've enjoyed the last 3 seasons. I found a good site with information about the infamous "10 items" they can choose from and lists of the other equipment they get standard in past seasons.

As I read through what the contestants took I almost want to change my knife to the field knife. Most did not take a large knife. My original thought was that I wanted a knife that could do almost anything on its own, but come on, I'd have 2 other large tools with me: axe and saw.

Benson X Benson X That sounds like an amazing experience!

You guys are starting to make me wonder more about the HDFK.

Growing up in the woods, I've never even thought of using a big knife. 4" has always been enough.

Really, in 30+ years I've never used a big knife outdoors, until last year. The LC is the first big knife I bought that actually seemed viable.

Maybe I'm just getting stuck in my old ways. I have a GB SFA as well as a custom made I guess it would be like a medium forest axe from Autine tools in Latvia. I can't wrap my head around a knife making those obsolete for general woods life.

I'd almost rather take a Shiro Folder and a SFA pattern axe than one big knife as I think I'd be so noob I wouldn't want to be learning in this situation.

I'd almost rather take a Shiro Folder and a SFA pattern axe than one big knife as I think I'd be so noob I wouldn't want to be learning in this situation.

You make a good point Justin. Maybe the amendment 'as large a blade as a person is confident/experienced with' might be a good qualifier, which will be different for all of us. Ten years ago I wouldn't have been confident with a blade the size of the light chopper in that situation, I wouldn't have know how to take advantage of its size.

It definitely was, man! It was very cathartic for me in a lot of ways, too. There's a video at the end of my trip report that captures (some) of the awesome sights, but the memories of the adventure are still more vivid and meaningful than the pictures.

Thats awesome, i have to admit im a bit jealous. before i met my wife i was in training for about a year-and-a-half to solo hike the Appalachian Trail. I would do about 6-10 miles in the woods everyday after work and about 30-40 miles every weekend and then pratice my bushcrafting at night. Then things started getting serious with my wife and my career and i just couldnt make the time commitment to do it. Still these were some of the best times ive had in my life and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if i could

I've used my ESEE 6 for about everything including cleaning rabbits and a couple squirrels. Not saying it's not a little overkill but it's a lot easier to use for everything than a 4" Scandi "bushcraft" knife or something huge like the LC IMO. I find that size to be a perfect "do all" in a squeeze over any other size but, again, that's just me.

I'd definitely bring something bigger than a SFA also but that's just me. The Scandinavian Forest Axe would be more suited for such a challenge in my hands. I'd also bring a big saw instead of something like a Silky. I'd be afraid to bend or break the blade of the Silky.

I've used my ESEE 6 for about everything including cleaning rabbits and a couple squirrels. Not saying it's not a little overkill but it's a lot easier to use for everything than a 4" Scandi "bushcraft" knife or something huge like the LC IMO. I find that size to be a perfect "do all" in a squeeze over any other size but, again, that's just me.

I'd definitely bring something bigger than a SFA also but that's just me. The Scandinavian Forest Axe would be more suited for such a challenge in my hands. I'd also bring a big saw instead of something like a Silky. I'd be afraid to bend or break the blade of the Silky.
You're articulating a lot of what I've been thinking about the size of one knife for this situation.

For an axe and saw I'd definitely go big. At least 2 contestants in past seasons brought katanaboys because the blade length of a saw like that can span thicker wood and even gives vertical reach.

After going through quite a few "bushcraft" saws i eventually got the idea to try a Stanley carpenters saw that i had sitting around the house for years. It blew everything else away. It cuts like a beast, is comfortable to use for an extended period of time, and despite the fact that it doesnt fold is still very packable. Oh yeah and its super cheap to buy and after using it for a few years its still sharp.

After going through quite a few "bushcraft" saws i eventually got the idea to try a Stanley carpenters saw that i had sitting around the house for years. It blew everything else away. It cuts like a beast, is comfortable to use for an extended period of time, and despite the fact that it doesnt fold is still very packable. Oh yeah and its super cheap to buy and after using it for a few years its still sharp.
Really?!? Like one of these? What else did you compare it to? I don't question your experience, it's just surprising to hear.

31V2GDKJHnL.jpg

I have approximately a 1380 second (+ or - 120 seconds) commute to work each day where I'm able to spend most of that time visualizing various situations, conversations..etc. I have been fixated on replacing my knife/ axe combo with a large knife. I have been arriving mentally unprepared for work, but I feel like I'm coming to terms with the idea of using a large knife.

Hopefully one day soon I'll actually be able to get out of the all consuming grind so I can actually figure it out.

I wouldn't replace my knife/axe combo with a large knife but for me a 5-6" knife isn't large in that sort of situation. The kid on the last episode of Alone lost their axe, a 6" blade wouldn't replace it but it'll baton wood like crazy so all wood processing wouldn't be lost.

One thing I can say is that it's a whole lot less likely to break long-term than a Silky. You know I love my Silkys but for something like Alone I'd go big.
That is a good point, especially in a survival situation. Now that I think about it I have seen large saws of that style used on the show.
J Joecleo86

I have approximately a 1380 second (+ or - 120 seconds) commute to work each day where I'm able to spend most of that time visualizing various situations, conversations..etc. I have been fixated on replacing my knife/ axe combo with a large knife. I have been arriving mentally unprepared for work, but I feel like I'm coming to terms with the idea of using a large knife.

Hopefully one day soon I'll actually be able to get out of the all consuming grind so I can actually figure it out.
Do you measure everything in seconds? o_O:confused::D

What is your reasoning for replacing 2 tools with one? Weight or space saving?

Lately I've been finding a medium/small knife and largish folding saw have gotten A LOT of work done for me, but that has not been anywhere near a survival and homesteading situation.

That is a good point, especially in a survival situation. Now that I think about it I have seen large saws of that style used on the show.
J Joecleo86

Do you measure everything in seconds? o_O:confused::D

What is your reasoning for replacing 2 tools with one? Weight or space saving?

Lately I've been finding a medium/small knife and largish folding saw have gotten A LOT of work done for me, but that has not been anywhere near a survival and homesteading situation.

Lol..

No I don't measure everything in seconds.. I've just been so busy lately it feels like I should be.

I was part of a discussion earlier in this thread where some users pointed out the possibility of carrying a LC and not needing an axe or smaller knife. The choice and logic behind it have been stuck in my head. Without the ability to go run out into the mountains and test it, I can't stop thinking about it. It's like having a song stuck in your head.

Yeah thats pretty much the same one im talking about mine is just the fat max version. I own a few different corona saws, the baco laplander and a few differnt bow saws. Im not saying ive tried everything but out of what i had, for cutting anything bigger than a wrist this would be my go to tool. I process a lot of wood and probably make at least 2 fires a week in the spring summer and fall. I still have the baco in my hiking bag but i really only use it when im doing carving and need to make stop points to baton off small pieces.

I wish they didn't count a belt knife as one of the items because I'd totally bring one of the GSO 12's I have on order. I was just looking at pics on their website and man that'd be a great chopping tool (unless I can get a BC and forget about the 12)

I was part of a discussion earlier in this thread where some users pointed out the possibility of carrying a LC and not needing an axe or smaller knife.

I just want to make sure what I posted earlier on was not misleading. I was not saying I'd not take an axe or saw, but instead focused on xxwarderxx's 'only one knife' scenario:

........limiting only 1 of your 10 items to a knife, which would you take.......Keep in mind, some (most?) contestants also bring an axe, saw, or similar tool for large processing of wood........

I'm more in the line of thinking with MOS's response below:

I wouldn't replace my knife/axe combo with a large knife but for me a 5-6" knife isn't large in that sort of situation

I would no way replace an axe/saw with the LC at least in an 'Alone' scenario. Woods bumming, yep, I could grab the LC as a one tool option for sure. Long term, I'd definitely want an axe and maybe a saw, too. I just wouldn't want to lug the axe out gathering food and such.

Last edited:
I"d never attempt to do that show with just one cutting tool. I'd take a modified Crunch multitool, with a Silky saw blade to be held in the visegrip of the Crunch and either a kukri or the new Condor E tool, with the saw edge being made to create a real kerf (if it's not, dunno) There's a clear 1/4 million $ riding on this win, and then as much more in the next few years selling classes, books, vids. No one knife can come close to doing all that needs to be done to assure the win.

I would never even consider an axe. They are far too likely to hurt you and it's unneeded. You are not going to last more than 3 months. The producers wont allow it, cause it would cut into their profit margin. So you wont need big piles of wood, or a heavy duty shelter. That being the case, the axe is a wasted pick. So is a ferrorod, if you know what you're doing.

Back