• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Twenty 3" EDC3, Delta 3V

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The 3" EDC3 was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable.
It's a light weight hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.
The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 5/32"” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso
Total length 7.6
Blade length 3.3
Weight 4.9 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.025" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives. You can add an extra sheath for $50.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can't remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. See video. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are twenty knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive. We're sharpening now, they'll ship next week.

e93i0sk.jpg

DCJyRn1.jpg

0l7RE9J.jpg

MGAuixY.jpg

83DrsYl.jpg

2JeL5PX.jpg

rFRva78.jpg

zmEBsap.jpg

luWlBDl.jpg

RipFDVe.jpg

kShKo4a.jpg

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:
[video=youtube;zC_-PIFw-KA]
A video illustrating the sheath options:
[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]

These are all utility “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.
$255 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$265 in OD green micarta, black linen micarta
$265 in black, OD green, forest green G10
$275 in multi color G10
$275 in maroon micarta
$285 Ebonite hard rubber

I'm discontinuing maroon micarta, there are limited scales remaining, once it's gone it's done.

Please note the Ebonite is real natural rubber that was vulcanized to hell and back to be hard. It feels nice in the hand, if you've ever used an antique Ebonite pen you know what I'm talking about. But it is actual rubber and will lighten in color if left in the sun and can deteriorate with contact with solvents. Please read this thread about Ebonite before ordering any: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/some-thoughts-on-hard-ebonite.1638457/

Shipping in the USA is $12.

Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal. An extra sheath is $50
These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools.

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Jo will contact you via PM or email over the next few days. Emails though BF often get lost in spam filters. If you don't hear from her by mid week please contact Jo on her PM, or send us an email at jocarothers at g mail dought com

If you prefer an EDC 2 ask Jo about it.

We're supposed to have another bigass machining center show up some time next week. Please be aware this may impact shipping times and our communication as we sort through the inevitable clusterf*ck of moving around everything in the shop. Again.

We'll have forty of the new Field Knife here in one week. Unless I get squished by a seven ton Mori next week. Then we won't.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

After much deliberation, I am going to pass this on down to whomever is next in line for two reasons.

1. I got beat by Hard Knocks Hard Knocks and that guy sucks at these sales, I don't deserve it.

2. The $255 plus $12 shipping is the only thing keeping me from buying the Warenski on the exchange.

(Only one of these things is true, but the one that is, is VERY true)

Last edited:
Thank you Jo & Nathan!

Black linen w/vertical sheath please (and a few other things if available)

EDIT: Hi @Jo the Machinist , I am passing my claim to @Sonnydaze. Hope that’s alright and not too much of an inconvenience. Tied up at the office these days and he’ll get better use of it for now. I will try to claim another one in the next sale. Thank you and feel better soon!

Last edited:
Back