Twenty Years on BF Giveaway - Winners announced in posts 40 and 48

lambertiana

Gold Member
It's hard to believe that today marks 20 years on Bladeforums. When I heard about BF I signed up and at that time there were a lot of folks that I had known from rec.knives. BF has grown a lot since then, and people have come and gone over the years. Since I feel most at home here on the porch, I will do a giveaway of traditional knives here.

First, some background to this giveaway. As many of you know, I love spending time in the Sierra. One of the things that make it special for me is that now that I spend a lot of time going off trail, I can find places with little or no human impact, and have those places to myself. I have to admit that I am not fond of large crowds; I grew up in a very small town and living in larger cities still gets to me. I need time to decompress away from traffic, work, and crowds. Hence one of the reasons I go off trail in the Sierra. For a place to qualify as a solitude-inducing location it needs to have no visible human impact. A few examples of places I have gone off trail where few or no other people go are these:
JYyTda3.jpg

jOXXAyS.jpg

rzBuOuT.jpg

c29YYXc.jpg

a1G4NYR.jpg

Now, for the giveaway rules. First, you need to be someone with at least 20 posts in the traditional forum, and not just a bunch of "I'm in" for other giveaways. Second, you can't just turn around and sell the prizes, but you can give them away if you decide that it wasn't for you after all, and third, I can ship the prizes to any location in the continental US. If you are overseas and have an address in CONUS that you can use, feel free to join in. If you are overseas and want to take a risk (I have had issues with shipping overseas, including the local PO telling me that they can't ship knives overseas) join in anyway and maybe you will get lucky. There will be three winners and they will choose from these knives (all are in used condition):
GEC 29 with GBM acrylic scales (comes with the original tube):
x4pwJUw.jpg

Buck 110 with ebony scales (comes with leather sheath):
QoInyda.jpg

Buck 501 with script stamp and burgundy micarta scales (1977-1981):
XyUNzV0.jpg

French Violin knife with kingwood scales (at 4.25" closed it makes a good picnic knife):
8kbDp5L.jpg

Now for the actual contest. First prize and first choice goes to the person who can identify the location where a picture was taken. This was a true solitude location, with zero evidence of human presence (and off trail, of course). Since my last giveaway was solved so easily by people identifying my favorite summits in the Sierra (most likely through image recognition software) I want this one to be a little harder. As far as I know, I (and the one person I was with at the time) am the only person to go to this location in recent history, so it will be harder to find pictures to match. The view is looking away from our campsite. First you will have to get an approximate location based on what is visible, but determining the location of the lake I was visiting will be more challenging. If this goes a week with no one guessing, I will start to offer clues. The winner will be the one who first tells me the location of the lake (it has no name, not even on the 7.5' quadrangle map, so a name is not necessary). Edit to add: the guess needs to be more than a generic mountain range or general area. You need to pinpoint the location. And it is in Sequoia National Park, which is the only hint that I will give right now.

Second and third picks will go to the people who can post their own pictures of places they have been that offer a real feeling of solitude with no evidence of human presence. It doesn't have to be in the mountains; I have been in places in the desert and on the high plains of western Nebraska and Kansas that also had a sense of real solitude. It doesn't even need to be a big landscape photo - look at what @Prester John posted in post 26, I like it. As long as there is no sign of human presence and I can imagine sitting there with the only sounds being the stream, a breeze in the trees, and some birds, with no sound from roads because it is far enough from a road, it works. The winners will be the ones who post pictures of places that I really want to visit the most.

Please note that even if you are not making a guess regarding the location of the mystery spot, you can still enter with a picture. If no one guesses my spot, all three winners will be taken from those who submit a picture. This contest will go for one week (until 6PM on July 13) unless I have to extend it because no one has guessed the location for the first prize. And what is this location, you ask? Here it is, and good luck!
As8BpA9.jpg

Last edited:
Those photos bring back great memories. Unlike you I'm a born and raised NYC boy. In 1972 I started graduate school at the University of Nevada, Reno. I spent the next several years roaming that area with my wife and son who was born there. I've since seen a lot of the world but the Sierras will always hold a special place in my heart. As an archaeology student I spent many a day in Little Valley on the eastern slopes of Lake Tahoe.
I'm not sure of the common name of your location but I know it's G-d's country. Thanks for the giveaway and congrats on the 20 years.

You’re a better man than I am, Lambertiana! I enjoy the outdoors, but I don’t go on those day long hikes to find the solitude you seek. It feels too much like work...lol.

Like you, I love the Sierras. Those pics are spectacular, thanks for giving me a little taste of one of my favorite places.

Some beautiful scenery right there.
It reminds me of the Muir/Dinky area above Courtright Reservoir, California. (California is not all Disneyland and Beaches ;) )
Congratulations on your twenty years and hosting this very generous GAW. Good luck everybody, can't wait to find out where it is.

Last edited:
It reminds me of the Muir/Dinky area above Courtright Reservoir, California.

One of my favorite places!

I think I know where that pic is from lambertina, but my mind is playing games with me. It's been too long since I crawled around in Sequoia, but I used to spend a lot of time up there. Best I can tell you're somewhere along Perrin Creek. I'm not sure those lakes even have names.

If you haven't done so, hike Mono Pass up to Mt Starr and then down past 4th Recess to Pioneer Basin.

One of my favorite places!

I think I know where that pic is from lambertina, but my mind is playing games with me. It's been too long since I crawled around in Sequoia, but I used to spend a lot of time up there. Best I can tell you're somewhere along Perrin Creek. I'm not sure those lakes even have names.

If you haven't done so, hike Mono Pass up to Mt Starr and then down past 4th Recess to Pioneer Basin.

Nope, not Perrin Creek area. There is a certain amount of irony to that choice that will become obvious when you find out where it really is.

I have never been to Pioneer Basin but from the pictures I have seen it looks really nice. I have been a little further south in places like Lake Italy.

See the bolded edit that I added.
Eh... I thought the Arrowhead Mountain in San Bernardino County, California was a specific mountain. (only one I know of with a arrowhead shaped area that never grows back like the surrounding area after a forest fire, anyway. Sorry. I'll shut up. I'm unworthy of the knives, anyway. :)

Wow, Congrats on 20 years.
At first it looked like some of the upper lakes around Lillian & Rainbow lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I hiked that area probably almost 40 years ago. Don’t have any pics, but I remember just hiking to a different lake every day until a severe thunderstorm washed us out one afternoon. Only lake I visit in Sequoia National Park area is Hume Lake. Thank you for a generous GAW.

Congrats on 20 years here! That's hard to believe. Amazing giveaway, thanks for the chance!

Gonna guess that's somewhere along Sphinx Creek looking back toward Sphinx Crest. Wherever it is, that is beautiful country, and I wish we had places like that closer to home! It's been many years since I've been out to the Sequoia area.

I'm trying not to enter GAWs, and I don't have any guess for your photo. But I wanted to share a photo from a mountain on the Seward Peninsula that a friend and I climbed.

It doesn't have a name that I know of, but it had some interesting looking tors up top, so we decided to go for it. There was definitely no trail anywhere in the area, but up top there were old rock cairns, so we clearly weren't the first humans to ever summit the mountain, but the cairns and inookshook looked quite ancient. It was the best, most rewarding, and most challenging hike I have ever been on (the approach to the mountain was all boggy tundra, and the climb was almost all rubble, I am no mountaineer, and it was a spur of the moment climb we decided on because we were exploring down the beach near the mountain).

It was pretty isolated. 20160616_213345.jpg

Edit: I'll also add that island on the left is named Sledge Island, and even though I grew up seeing it every day, I've never been to it. Prehistorically it was inhabited, and historically the local Inupiat people would gather eggs there seasonally, but it is a wildlife refuge now. Apparently the currents around the island can be tricky. I do hope to make it out there some time before I die, though since I don't live up there any more, the chances aren't great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fine historical GAW of some tempting knives.
Too much work for me. Good luck to those more enterprising.

Eh... I thought the Arrowhead Mountain in San Bernardino County, California was a specific mountain. (only one I know of with a arrowhead shaped area that never grows back like the surrounding area after a forest fire, anyway. Sorry. I'll shut up. I'm unworthy of the knives, anyway. :)

I certainly don't think you are unworthy. My response was based on the plural nature of what you originally posted (Arrowhead Mountains). But you can still enter with a picture that invokes a feeling of solitude. It just needs to be a place you have been to.

Thanks for the fine historical GAW of some tempting knives.
Too much work for me. Good luck to those more enterprising.

I know it may be some work to ID the location, but you can also enter with a picture of a place you have been that invokes solitude.

Congratulations on putting in the years L lambertiana :thumbsup: Some great knives there. Not an entry from me, but I am really enjoying the photographs. It must be fantastic to get away from humanity in such breathtaking surroundings. You're a lucky man my friend :) :thumbsup:

Not an entry, but congrats on 20 years! I've always enjoyed your pictures, and your contributions over the years.

Back