Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to REI while out an about today.... The little lady must have felt bad for dragging me around. She bought me a new biner and a GSI collapsable java drip. No more instant coffee for me!

I'm no expert, but for actual work I have yet to drive or even see an "SUV" that comes close to a regular pickup with the same class of powertrain and suspension. All that extra weight and usually-useless BS sacrifices a whole lot of carrying capacity and towing capability. Some years ago I spent quite a bit of time tooling around in a "Magnum V8" Durango. It was fun to drive for sure, but it didn't haul any more gear, people or groceries than a basic 4-door sedan, and it got a whopping 11MPG in the city and mayyybe 15MPG on the highway with the cruise control set. SUV's are like the worst of both worlds between a "family car" and a Jeep. What's the point? :confused:

Now, if by "utility", one means soccer moms hauling a whole bunch of kids around town, yeah... I can see the SUV option I guess. But then you might as well just drive a 4-cyl mini-van... or a panel truck with remo seats.

Which is really not a bad idea actually... like many, many other folks who spent a lot of time hauling band gear around from gig to gig on the weekends, my wife's Dad had an old bread truck that he used for everything from band stuff to camping with the family.

Some of them SUV type vehicles are amazing off road, id call a jeep an SUV personally.... Not a van, car or truck.... That leaves SUVs, LOL

Land rover, BMW, Mercedes, Jeep, Toyota (FJ).. All have vehicles that go off road like champs... Now hauling gear is another thing entirely, even Jeeps SUCK for hauling ANYTHING... But for playing off road and getting somewhere a vehicle shouldnt be able to get.... Its a champ in that regards...

I guess it just depends on HOW you would use a vehicle. Try taking a 4 door sedan up a rocky mountain... No roads, just rocks.... .It'll never make it... But sure it could haul the same amount of stuff... Just couldnt get it where id want to go LOL

But as a work vehicle you are dead right... Nothing beats a good P/U truck!!

OMG.... JUST SAW A FLYER!! Posted on kabar check it out

waddya mean? their spot here at bf or their page? a flyer? confused

late-model SUV's suck. most late-model stuff sucks. Now if you go back when the sport and utility part of SUV actually meant something then that's another story. Back when carpet was optional and you actually had to pull a lever and then get out and lock the hubs to actuate the 4wd. (though not having to get out and trudge in the mud is nice, when it works)

I've had an '80 K10 suburban and I now have an '84 K5 Blazer. Those really are handy utility vehicles and my blazer can seat six adults more or less comfortably. Older suburbans, blazers, broncos, scouts, and jeeps were up to the task.

I think I need one of these...

angelo-b-titan-knife-3.gif

dunno about that outdoorsman. hollow ground and 440A? c'mon they can do better than that. sweet looking knife, tho...

Yea i didnt know it was 440A steel, just seen it on cutco site too... I have lost some interest. It is a good looking blade though.

late-model SUV's suck. most late-model stuff sucks. Now if you go back when the sport and utility part of SUV actually meant something then that's another story.

Agreed. My Dad's '77 Buick station wagon was a better "SUV" than most of the "SUV's" today. :thumbup:

I'm not feelin' that at all. :thumbdn: It's like they took a perfectly good BK16 (which I sincerely feel is dang near the perfect outdoorsy knife for folks that don't wanna spend "custom/handmade money" ) stretched out the blade, made the handle blockier and completely fouled-up the grind for no damn reason at all. Boo. Hiss. :grumpy:

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Last edited:
Just got back from a fine weekend. Good to be back though. Y'alls some snarkin' fools.

Just got back from a fine weekend. Good to be back though. Y'alls some snarkin' fools.

Hey! some of us resemble that remark!

Welcome back Warrior!

440A? on a Cutco/ Kabar? eww :( Now if they said S35Vn like the Snody productions....That would be awesome.

440A? on a Cutco/ Kabar? eww :(

You're kidding, right? CutCo uses 440A to make a huge amount of kitchen knives, and has for a long, long time. 440A is not completely terrible steel.

It's not great, either. But it's not completely terrible.

while it ain't bad for a kitchen knife, many of us here are used to other steels for a knife intended for harder use. I wouldn't mind the 440 A that much if it had a flat grind, but the hollow combo doesn't do it for me. Kinda looks like a tweener handle / BK2 blade with swedge and a lower, hollow grind...I'll pass.

You're kidding, right? CutCo uses 440A to make a huge amount of kitchen knives, and has for a long, long time. 440A is not completely terrible steel.

It's not great, either. But it's not completely terrible.

Yeah im snarking, my mother inlaw has a cutco set in her kitchen after I convinced her to upgrade from chinese no name stuff. They are very nice and are really comfortable to use. The kitchen shears are also the best I have ever used. Way better then the henkles set I own

Agreed. My Dad's '77 Buick station wagon was a better "SUV" than most of the "SUV's" today. :thumbup:

I had a couple cars from the '70's, pretty much the same drivetrains as a fullsize half ton pickup of the era. Though back then people were pulling boats and camp trailers with them. Actually cars like the ranchero and el camino are known as coupe utilities or simply "utes" down under where they're still popular. And my '74 ranchero proved itself in the utility department many times.

I just like older vehicles...

Been a while since i posted a new picture of my little buddy... He is 9 months old now!

15077477086_92ac8ee3c7_o.png

How big is he now?

Right around 20 pounds and a little over 16" at the withers.

AKC standard says he should be 13.5" to 16.5" at the withers and 17-23 pounds to be able to show him... I have no interest in making him a show dog, but i think he may be a little taller than allowed anyways.... And if he fills out more he may go over the "show" weight as well. I read on the shiba forum that they can keep filling out up to 2 years old in some cases. But it seems to be really common for them to be a little over the AKC height and weight requirements from what i have read others posting.

Of course he still looks TINY to me.

I went to high school (1976-1980) with a guy named Richard Wacker. I don't know what his parents were thinking. Certainly they knew the meaning of these terms. He spent a lot of time trying to convince us to use "Rich" as his first name....life can be cruel at an all-boy Catholic high school taught by the Jesuits.

I went to Jesuit in Tampa.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back