Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding, right? CutCo uses 440A to make a huge amount of kitchen knives, and has for a long, long time. 440A is not completely terrible steel.

It's not great, either. But it's not completely terrible.

Just goes to show that when you get the heat treat right, the steel really doesn't matter.

I've got several Cutco knives, and they hold an edge longer than most of the knives I own, including all of the Beckers, and take a great edge to boot. Sure, it may not be "premium" steel, but I agree, James, 440A only has a bad name because of the no-name Chinese blades with a terrible heat treat. Done right, it can really get the job done. It's not as tough as 1095CV, of course. I wouldn't put it up to many of the things I'd feel comfortable doing to a Becker. I certainly wouldn't be that comfortable batoning it. But if you're going to use it mostly for cutting, hollow ground 440A with Cutco's heat treat would be just the ticket.

Yea there is certainly a huge difference in the 440 steels in the us and 440 chinese junk. Smith and Wesson knives have a lot of 440C and they are total junk.....but a 440c heat treated here by someone like peters,rowen or kabar would make for some excellent and affordable stainless.

Just pulled some ribs off the grill... yes JUST, after midnight. never too late for ribs is it?

Rhetorical question. My keyboard is already sticky.

Thanks for the kind words, Gus. Every now and then I manage to string some words together in a fashion that makes sense.

Just goes to show that when you get the heat treat right, the steel really doesn't matter... I agree, James, 440A only has a bad name because of the no-name Chinese blades with a terrible heat treat.

Uhhh... no. Sorry, you're flat wrong about that. You completely misread my post/intent. That's not at all what I meant.

Steel chemistry absolutely matters. It matters a great deal. One cannot polish a turd, nor can one drink whiskey from a bottle of wine. Likewise, no amount of HT "magic" can ever improve the inherent chemistry in any alloy.

For instance, there is a dang good reason Ka-Bar/Becker uses 1095CV instead of "plain" 1095, and why Buck generally uses 420HC instead of 420J... They're demonstrably better than the cheaper, easier-to-machine versions. Both companies have their HT dialed-in pretty well to reach the higher potential of the better materials they've selected.

Half-vast steel with good HT is "not terrible". 440A/420J/AUS-6 is half-vast steel when judged by today's standards for cutlery. It will work, for a while. Put it next to excellent steel with excellent HT and the same geometry, and it's gonna get blown out of the water.

Last edited:
A hatchback CUV is surprisingly capable if you don't need to tow and live mostly on-road. AWD plus capacity for humans and a huge enclosed volume let's you keep a LOT of stuff dry. I could even pack my old Saab 900se hatchback really well... That said, I'm quite fond of my little red Chevy Colorado, and have made extensive use of the bed (by my standards)- and so have my friends. :)

Last edited:
So, figured I'd run this idea by you Beckerheads before I let the rest of the world in on it. This is a little back burner project I have been wanting to try for the last 6 months or so. Finally got a chance to play around with it.
My boy and I have enjoyed getting into shooting slingshots in the back yard. I have gotten pretty good at it and can usually hit a 6in. Target at 20 paces 9 out of 10 times or so. I've only used the cheap 5 buck daisy slingshots and told myself if I got halfway decent at it I would buy a good one. Well, cant find a good one to my liking, so, in true Todd Hunt form. I made my own.

20140901_084543_zpsd36747b3.jpg

My first attempt failed miserably and taught me that the limbs need to be pretty precise and there length greatly effects how much pressure is on your wrist.

20140901_084302_zps6d8c815e.jpg

This one shoots really well and uses the 3 dollar replacement bands you can find about anywhere.

20140901_084812_zpsee8f9861.jpg

I made this one out of scrap material laying around the shop. 1/4in. Cold rolled round stock I formed around a pipe. Welded and smoothed the finger guard making the steel all one piece. Copper spacer and curly maple handle. This one was made totally by hand and took me about 5 hours. I think if I make jigs and fixtures I can cut that time in half and make a few at a time.

20140901_084203_zps3514f69d.jpg

I think I will play with the design a bit. Thinking I may shorten the limbs another half inch. Might try some finger grooves in the wood or try some G10. Also thinking handmade belt pouches that holds the SS and the ammo. What do you guys think? Might make a batch and see if it sparks any interest.

Last edited:
Been fine buddy.

Yer lookin' awful blue these days.
Yeah, I couldn't justify the knifemaker subscription when I'd stored making the liners. I still lurk a bit, but I guess I've just been too busy with life to keep up here.

Thanks, also WorldWood, things are good here. I've missed the Beckerhead shenanigans, lately, so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

Just pulled some ribs off the grill... yes JUST, after midnight. never too late for ribs is it?

Rhetorical question. My keyboard is already sticky.

Any time regardless of what the clock shows is great for ribs!

Todd! That slingshot looks sweet man!

late-model SUV's suck. most late-model stuff sucks. Now if you go back when the sport and utility part of SUV actually meant something then that's another story. Back when carpet was optional and you actually had to pull a lever and then get out and lock the hubs to actuate the 4wd.

I'm no expert, but for actual work I have yet to drive or even see an "SUV" that comes close to a regular pickup with the same class of powertrain and suspension. All that extra weight and usually-useless BS sacrifices a whole lot of carrying capacity and towing capability.

Well there are real SUV's Big Red hauls my 4 kids around, its been up Ethans mountain. It tows plenty and has moved us and several friends. Six adults fit in it comfortably and the mileage isnt even terrible. It also is getting close to 200k miles and still runs and drives like new.

Hauls my Jeep around the mountains

Hauls !066viks tractor around

So yeah there are real SUV's and they dont suck

So, figured I'd run this idea by you Beckerheads before I let the rest of the world in on it. This is a little back burner project I have been wanting to try for the last 6 months or so. Finally got a chance to play around with it.
My boy and I have enjoyed getting into shooting slingshots in the back yard. I have gotten pretty good at it and can usually hit a 6in. Target at 20 paces 9 out of 10 times or so. I've only used the cheap 5 buck daisy slingshots and told myself if I got halfway decent at it I would buy a good one. Well, cant find a good one to my liking, so, in true Todd Hunt form. I made my own.

20140901_084543_zpsd36747b3.jpg

My first attempt failed miserably and taught me that the limbs need to be pretty precise and there length greatly effects how much pressure is on your wrist.

20140901_084302_zps6d8c815e.jpg

This one shoots really well and uses the 3 dollar replacement bands you can find about anywhere.

20140901_084812_zpsee8f9861.jpg

I made this one out of scrap material laying around the shop. 1/4in. Cold rolled round stock I formed around a pipe. Welded and smoothed the finger guard making the steel all one piece. Copper spacer and curly maple handle. This one was made totally by hand and took me about 5 hours. I think if I make jigs and fixtures I can cut that time in half and make a few at a time.

20140901_084203_zps3514f69d.jpg

I think I will play with the design a bit. Thinking I may shorten the limbs another half inch. Might try some finger grooves in the wood or try some G10. Also thinking handmade belt pouches that holds the SS and the ammo. What do you guys think? Might make a batch and see if it sparks any interest.

That's very cool! I suspect the the combo you're talking about has merit!

Well, I'm not gonna lie. Today, I absolutely love the internet. I'm not really religious, but the events of today somewhat make me think of a benevolent internet god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back