Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiminy Crickets, take one whole day off from the forum and alla sudden there's ten pages of Snarktasticness to wade through... wow.

there is a guy on FB selling a vise for 40 bucks...

That vise makes my nipples hard.

about 2 miles from my place... I have 2 already don't really need a 3rd

Yes, you do. There is really no such thing as too many good vises... especially at $40.

Todd and Daizee are absolutely right, as usual... I would add that if I had to start this insane game all over again, I would build a rock-solid bench first, buy a good heavy solid vise second, invest in good quality files third, and pick up a decent basic drill press and some top-quality bits for it fourth (never go cheap on twist drills... good bits are worth their weight in gold).

Then and only then would I worry about buying anything resembling a grinder.

ok who the hell sells pot on craigslist....

Cops.

Like brown trout? Those, you just skip the "catch" part and move straight to "release".

Umm... wait... what? Unless "brown trout" is some kinda Urban Dictionary codeword for something terribly gross which I don't even want to contemplate, I completely disagree. Browns taste better than rainbows in my opinion.

In other news, my personal diet/exercise plan is starting to have a noticeable effect. The other day Miss Angie casually mentioned that my love-handles don't hang quite as far over the top of my shorts as they did a few weeks ago.

Jiminy Crickets, take one whole day off from the forum and alla sudden there's ten pages of Snarktasticness to wade through... wow.
There are no days off.
TMI.
I'll have to admit, though....me, too. Being a wood guy, almost all vises do that.
Umm... wait... what? Unless "brown trout" is some kinda Urban Dictionary codeword for something terribly gross which I don't even want to contemplate, I completely disagree. Browns taste better than rainbows in my opinion.
Yes, it is a euphemism. Brown trout (NOT the fish) should NEVER, I repeat, NEVER be eaten. You ever hear someone say "I gotta take the Browns to the Superbowl"? Same thing as emptying your creel of "brown trout" (notice quotations.....indicating that "brown trout" are not actually brown trout.)

In other news, my personal diet/exercise plan is starting to have a noticeable effect. The other day Miss Angie casually mentioned that my love-handles don't hang quite as far over the top of my shorts as they did a few weeks ago.
That sounds like a compliment......kind of. My wife doesn't even talk to me anymore, tho, so I wouldn't know.

I have been using this Helle Harding for awhile now for a variety of stuff and I am actually pretty impressed. The grind on this knife is very well done, the handle is attractive and very comfortable, and the steel is fantastic. I have put it through a variety of media and it it took absolutely forever to get the hair popping edge to go away. I just lightly stropped it and BAM back to its ridiculous sharp edge. This edge in fact was probably the sharpest edge of any blade I have received. Even though its a lot thicker than my mora mg the "in wood bite" is very comparable, and my mora is thinned out! Its kinda crazy and I am a big fan of carbon moras. Now its not as slicey per say (didnt do to well cutting apples/carrots) but the grind does extremely well carving wood. Which is kinda what it was made for. I do have to say I miss the unique patina of a carbon blade, but I am a fan of this laminated stainless sandvik steel.

Right along side the Harding I have been using the Green River Belt Blade and its another knife I am in love with. Edge retention isnt anything special, but it resharpens super easy, and the overall geometry is fantastic. Used it to process a bunch of cardboard the other day and I actually stropped on the cardboard to get the edge to come back lol. Its a real fun knife and a dang good cutter. Jantz sells the Green River blanks in either kits or stand alone, and I might have to pick up one or two to put micarta on. My example is every bit of good if not better than say again a mora, but its in an "American" frontier type pattern. Its definitely worth more than the pocket change I paid for it. These knives would make good project, crafting, or kit stuffer blades. Dont know why I felt compelled to share all of this but there yah go LOL.

Looks good GSO!

I was stationed at Fort Bliss for over a year the first time, then several months when i came back from Korea.

Worst wal-mart i ever been to. Half the workers barely spoke English. Over crowded. Just a mess.

Married my wife in El Paso, and my daughter was born there.

I don't think Wal-Mart has changed much. I got some of my groceries there, and some at the Commissary on Ft. Bliss. My daughter was born on Ft. Huachuca, AZ, and my son at the German Krankenhaus in Sindlefingen, Germany, both of which get a "huh?" when filling out forms for their place of birth.

Ah! Not everyone's out and about. I didn't mean this was a bad place, on the contrary. But given what a great community of folks this is, it surprises me somewhat that someone would get together the requirements to be a Beckerhead and then just fall off the map. I get the life circumstances thing, but there are a LOT of 'head numbers that have not posted in more than a year. I guess my thinking is "why bother?" in the first place....then again, my last job I was at for almost 20 years and the only reason I left was because they showed me the door. Didn't kick me out (at least not permanently), but made it clear that I was just another cog and therefore easily replaced. I guess I don't commit to stuff and then not follow through...in most cases.

I took it to be that you were lamenting the fact that it seems like many just do the requirements to "punch the card" so to speak, then drop out of sight. Some folks just lose interest once there is no goal to achieve. Me, I'm here for the stimulating repartee.

Agree about this forum - good folks.

And what the heck are you doing in El Paso? We used to regularly drive down there for the month of Feb to climb in Hueco Tanks. It took about 41 hours to get there from Toronto, but it was worth it just to escape the winter. Hueco was/is beautiful, but I found El Paso to be a bit rough.

"Only" a 9 or 10 hour from central Texas...depending on bladder and gas tank capacities. I'm doing some work on Ft. Bliss, otherwise this is not my favorite place to visit. You're right about the desert being beautiful (at times and in places), but I prefer the Sonoran over the Chihuahuan Desert. I guess El Paso is not quite in the Chihuahuan, but I think it is similar.

Yes, you do. There is really no such thing as too many good vises... especially at $40.

Todd and Daizee are absolutely right, as usual... I would add that if I had to start this insane game all over again, I would build a rock-solid bench first, buy a good heavy solid vise second, invest in good quality files third, and pick up a decent basic drill press and some top-quality bits for it fourth (never go cheap on twist drills... good bits are worth their weight in gold).

Then and only then would I worry about buying anything resembling a grinder.

Cops.

Didn't really need to know the effect that the vise had on you...but I agree that you can't have too many.

Yes, cops probably do sell pot on-line.

GSOM covered the trout issue...

So your spare tire is like one of the temporary spares as opposed to a full sized? Very good! Mine is pretty stubborn...

Now you're making me want to get a green river blank from USA knife makers, maybe the buffalo skinner

smoke and prayers for those who need it.
finally got round to using pointy's "failed" bk14 pressing to make a hybrid sheath today.
once the dye is dry, it'll get a couple coats of sno seal and I may even take a picture of it.

Yes, it is a euphemism.

I was afraid it might be. That's nasty.

In any case, let it be known henceforth that when I talk about trout, brown or otherwise, I'm just talking about the actual fish that live in clean water and are fun to catch and delicious to eat. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a compliment......kind of.

I got a smooch and a snuggle afterwards, so it works for me. :D

I have been using this Helle Harding for awhile now for a variety of stuff and I am actually pretty impressed.

I never wrapped my mitts around one of those, but I've heard similar reports from other people. If it works for ya, rock on :)

I also agree with your thoughts on Green River blanks. I've worked with a couple of those myself. If one wants to spend just a little to build/customize their own knife, that's a great way to start. They will get very sharp and cut extremely well if you put a little TLC into 'em. If you like them, you'll like the Ontario "Old Hickory" line as well. Excellent bargains :thumbup:

Now you're making me want to get a green river blank from USA knife makers, maybe the buffalo skinner

Go for it. Seriously.

I think I will, that is my all time favorite hunter design, I'll just need to learn how to attach a set of handles

Did a little more drawing tonight. Might actually work up the stones to go for it before the NE gathering. The 7 is the one Becker I've had a hard time warming up to....which means it's ripe for grinding.

14975999439_f82f2c64dd_b.jpg

I'm hoping to integrate some sort of "skull crusher" with a beer opener....which might end up being a skull crusher in a different way...
I've done a LOT of drawing trying to get that lanyard hole to convert to a bottle opener. Honestly, I hope I'm never in a knife fight....pretty sure it would end badly. But I love the fighter style...my latent mall ninja, I guess. Whaddaya think? Still trying to figure out the swedge and whether I'll leave it or sharpen and modify it....

Whaddaya think?

I think the beer-opener/"Skull Crusher" is a very, very bad idea. It's butt-ugly in a BudK fantasy Klingon-kinda-way, it's gonna annoy the livin' snot out of you when it's on your belt, it may even hurt you just by being there, and it has extremely little use as an actual feature.

I don't like the wave-type thing on top, either. I see no practical use for it. It's just going to catch on stuff and get in the way.

I'm not crazy about choils and swept guards, but that's up to you.

I do really like the tip profile you drew up, and the longer, smoother "belly" it provides. That's slashy, baby :thumbup:

Just my opinions, of course. Hey, you asked...

Looks wise its awesome GSOM..... Practical wise.... I LOVE the blade shape and choil design. But not so much the pommel/skull crusher thingy or the blade catcher on top unless you plan to be in knife fights. My finger likes to sit right where the catcher is. I also love the handle shape!!

I think the beer-opener/"Skull Crusher" is a very, very bad idea. It's butt-ugly in a BudK fantasy Klingon-kinda-way, it's gonna annoy the livin' snot out of you when it's on your belt, it may even hurt you just by being there, and it has extremely little use as an actual feature.

I don't like the wave-type thing on top, either. I see no practical use for it. It's just going to catch on stuff and get in the way.

I'm not crazy about choils and swept guards, but that's up to you.

I do really like the tip profile you drew up, and the longer, smoother "belly" it provides. That's slashy, baby :thumbup:

Just my opinions, of course. Hey, you asked...

I did ask, and while I really do value your opinion, JT....it's not really meant to be practical. I don't think I'm going to carry it on my belt....more like upside down across my chest....yeah right. Even if I do it, it'd be more show than go. I have a Gerber LHR that I've never carried but am loathe to get rid of....it's just plain cool (to me, at any rate). I wish I had the stones to carry it the way it was meant to be carried. I like the fighter style, I'm just not a fighter myself. Knives have always been tools to me, but I will admit to fantasizing about owning a few Gil Hibbens. The LHR is really the only completely impractical knife I own, although I suppose it'd do for a "survival knife" in a pinch. But I'm keepin' it anyway.

I guess the question I shoulda asked was "from a stylistic and completely UNpractical view point, whaddaya think of the overall look of it, given that I'm shooting for a Bud-K, Klingon sorta fantasy knife zeitgeist?"

I guess you'd still say "butt ugly".

Need suggestions on a decent not overly expensive drill press... Would be great if i could get it at the river store too..... Have gift card money there and a river store credit card so shopping there is easy for me.

And is this vise an OK one?? Wilton 11104 Wilton Bench Vise, Jaw Width 4-Inch, Jaw Opening 4-Inch ??

Im going to be turning an area in my basement into a workshop now!!

Looks wise its awesome GSOM..... Practical wise.... I LOVE the blade shape and choil design. But not so much the pommel/skull crusher thingy or the blade catcher on top unless you plan to be in knife fights. My finger likes to sit right where the catcher is. I also love the handle shape!!

Thanks! It's not really meant to be practical....just trying to see what I can get out of a knife that has never been used and do something different in the process. And it's not a "catcher", it's a gut ripper ;). Here's another pic with the faint outline of the 7:

15159977091_4f9de7924a_b.jpg

Probably going to do a cardboard or plywood cutout to see if I like the overall feel of it.

I have seen some fighting knives with catchers so thats what i thought first... BUT.....Gut ripper??? You plan on sticking 7" through someone where that thing actually gets into their guts :eek: :eek: :D

They will be so bad off already i dont thing tearing their guts up will make much difference LOL

Im just messin... If your wanting to make a fun, cool looking blade i think it will for sure serve that purpose bud!!

I guess the question I shoulda asked was "from a stylistic and completely UNpractical view point, whaddaya think of the overall look of it, given that I'm shooting for a Bud-K, Klingon sorta fantasy knife zeitgeist?"

In that case, you're probably askin' the wrong guy. ;)

Stylistically, it's overdone. Too busy. Too many conflicting lines. It doesn't quite flow from one end to the other. It's not gonna win any accolades from the trained art/industrial design crowd... except for the folks who "proclaim" themselves critics and publish knife magazines. Let's be brutally honest here... most of them neither know nor give a hoot either way, their main job is to sell ads.

Practically, it's a mess. See above. Design and purpose should work together, not against each other.

Marketing-wise, it's freaking brilliant. That would sell like hot-cakes. The average schmoe LOVES that sort of thing. Add some jimping and serrations, and you've got a winner on your hands.

I just like knives that carry well, balance well, and cut well. In my experience, those kinda knives generally end up being pretty unremarkable to look at. It's a huge pain in the neck to add eye-catching "kewl" features to those kind of knives without completely fouling up their original purpose.

*shrug*

Last edited:
I have seen some fighting knives with catchers so thats what i thought first... BUT.....Gut ripper??? You plan on sticking 7" through someone where that thing actually gets into their guts :eek: :eek: :D

They will be so bad off already i dont thing tearing their guts up will make much difference LOL

Im just messin... If your wanting to make a fun, cool looking blade i think it will for sure serve that purpose bud!!

Thanks for your support. That's pretty much it, since the 7 really doesn't serve any purpose for me. The 12 does a lot more in the way of that size blade. This mod is more an exercise in seeing what I can do with it. Might even sharpen it so I can cut stuff and scare the bejeezus out of would be suitors for my daughters....when they're old enough to date in about 30 years....;).

On a completely different tack, I picked up an ENO Lounger for !!!$65!!! (less than half price) at EMS a week or so ago and it is awesomely comfortable. Now I know why you gents like your hammocks so much....

61izs0Xuw%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

In that case, you're probably askin' the wrong guy. ;)

Stylistically, it's overdone. Too busy. Too many conflicting lines. It doesn't quite flow from one end to the other.

Practically, it's a mess. See above. Design and purpose work together.

Marketing-wise, it's freaking brilliant. That would sell like hot-cakes. The average schmoe LOVES that sort of thing.

I just like knives that carry well, balance well, and cut well. In my experience, those kinda knives generally end up being pretty unremarkable to look at. It's a huge pain in the neck to add eye-catching "kewl" features to those kind of knives without completely fouling up their original purpose.

*shrug*
Too true. I like those kinda knives too (see my 11 mod). But sometimes I gotta do things for the sake of stoopidity and looks above all else. I mean, who cares about practicality? It's looks that really count. If you don't believe me, then how do you explain the popularity of (insert useless and imbecilic (but gorgeous) female celebrity here)? Huh?

Sweet baby Jesus! How have I never seen those loungers before?"!?!

I wonder if it is fat guy compatible....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back