• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Two Cru Forge V Knives!!!

This week I have a couple of knives in Cru Forge V to offer! If you're not familiar with that steel, it is a basic 1% carbon steel with vanadium added. The vanadium does a few things, it keeps the grain small which aids in toughness, as well as form vanadium carbides which add wear resistance, and thus overall edge retention. Crucible used to make it, but not any longer! It's one of my all time favorite alloys. Any alloy is only as good as it's heat treatment, and I am exacting when it comes to doing it correctly with as much attention to the little things as I can give. Those that know me know that I am meticulous when it comes to the latest in heat treatment research and techniques. I don't cut ANY corners in any stage of a project, but especially the heat treatment. It gets serious attention. I won't bore you with the details, but if you're interested I'll be more than willing to discuss it. Lets talk about the knives...

Knife # 1 Fixed blade hunter
This is a personal design I came up with a few years back. I like it because it is super easy to sharpen with the exposed edge heel. No plunge lines or ricassso to get in the way and bang up against the sharpening stone. The handle fits my hand like a glove, and features a GORGEOUS piece of walnut. The quilting has great chatoyance when reflected in the light. The blade spine has a swedge that runs from the tip to the handle, along with thumb jimping. After tempering, the hardness of this blade is 64-65HRC. That's very hard, and often not seen on hunting knives. The full flat grind was taken down to "zero" at the edge, and then backed off just a hair prior to sharpening. This means that the blade is thin from spine to edge, offering some of the best cutting geometry available. I don't make them for the masses! I make them for the user who knows what they're doing. Cru Forge V at 65HRC has, simply put, excellent edge retention. I was going to keep this one as my personal hunting knife this season, but I might just have an opportunity to acquire a Paragon kiln in the near future, so hopefully I will be able to start offering stainless and high alloy tool steels soon! I'm sort of putting a "Go-Fund-Myself" campaign together! If you're looking for a sweet custom hunting knife for yourself or as a gift, you've come to the right place!

OAL: 8 3/8"
Blade: 3 7/8"
Handle: 4 1/2"
Thickness: 0.110", tapered to tip
Steel: Cru Forge V high carbon (non stainless)
Hardness: 64-65HRC
Edge: 13° per side, 6 micron

C4xKLwq.jpg

QJADrjB.jpg

09Jl2B8.jpg

Asking price is only sold This includes a custom made kydex sheath, free shipping anywhere in the USA, and what I call a "write your own" life time warranty. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thanks for taking a look! Your purchase of this knife goes directly to the acquisition of a Paragon kiln and helping my business grow. You are MUCH appreciated!!!! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knife # 2 Mesquite Bowie
This knife is basically a full tang Bowie knife. During the design, I focused quite a bit of attention to the handle construction. I wanted it to fit my hand like it was molded to it, and pretty much succeeded! The mesquite wood handle construction has a "coke bottle" shape to it, and "locks" into place once you grip it. You won't want to put the knife down once you've picked it up! The balance is perfect, right at the plunge line. The swedge/clip was given a good polish, and the flats and blade bevels are contrasting, hand rubbed, satin finishes. The spine is also polished. The edge geometry is also great, but it's obviously not going to be quite as thin as a smaller hunting knife or kitchen knife. Still, prior to sharpening the edge width was only 0.010" ***. There are a LOT of commercial kitchen knives that aren't even that thin at the edge. This is NOT a sharpened pry bar! This knife is meant to do just about anything...from dispatching a tomato to dispatching a tomato thrower! The hardness after tempering is ~62HRC, a great combination of strength and toughness for this alloy. This is one of my favorite knives made so far. I hate to sell it, but that's what I do this for...so YOU can enjoy it!

(***prior to sharpening, the edge width remained 0.010" completely to the plunge line. unlike many other knives that don't have a sharpening choil, the edge does not get thicker at the plunge. it is as easy to sharpen this area as the rest of the edge. if you would like a sharpening choil added, I will be more than happy to do so for you no charge.)

OAL: 12 1/4"
Blade: 7 1/4"
Handle: 5" (overall)
Thickness: 0.130"
Steel: Cru Forge V high carbon non stainless
Hardness: ~62HRC
Edge: 15° per side, 6 micron

IqCpbyw.jpg

JR5Zdso.jpg

Asking price is ONLY $250!!! This includes a custom made kydex sheath, free shipping anywhere in the USA, and what I call a "write your own" life time warranty. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thanks for taking a look! Your purchase of this knife goes directly to the acquisition of a Paragon kiln and helping my business grow. You are MUCH appreciated!!!! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Whoever winds up with No. 1 (well, any of Stuart’s knives) is going to have a great time dismantling deer this year. If I wasn’t knife poor, it would be headed to my house.

Kukr!.....that is SOOOOO nice of you to say. All of you....y'all have no idea what your interest in my work means to me. Seriously, guys.....it means a LOT. Your comments on sales threads are MUCH appreciated.

"The Shatz" has laid claim to knife number 1 !!!! It is theirs, SPF (Sold Pending Funds)

I still believe the BEST deal is knife #2!!! That "Bowie" knife is the "Shatz"!!!!!! I am not a bragger, but that knife......sheez. Winning!

Just FYI for everyone's notice.....I will be out of town and very busy this weekend. It's a business trip! Hopefully with good news for you guys/gals come next week!

Back