Photos Two Ti Mini-Flippers Compared

I've always had a thing for small/miniature gent-sized folders, but when it comes to high-quality mini titanium framelock flippers with all the bells 'n' whistles, the pickens have been mighty slim.

Enter two new offerings from Factor Equipment and Bestech; respectively, the tiny Bit, and the only slightly less diminutive BT1705A. The latter moniker reflecting Asian manufacturing's longstanding affection for decidedly non-catchy alphanumeric gibberish.

Despite their different branding, it's obvious that these two minis came from the same Chinese factory. The high level of fit, finish, function and attention to detail, the basic design language, S35VN steel, ceramic bearing systems, blade pivots, stainless Torx hardware, blue and gold anodizing, and slipcase box w/fitted foam insert packaging all share a common origin.

The Factor Equipment Bit has an OAL of 4.72" and weighs 1.2 oz., while the Bestech BT1705A has an OAL of 5.5" and tips the Toledos at 1.38 oz.

Both knives have nicely dialed-in detents and crisp glass-rod-snapping actions. They both have a steel lockbar insert that doubles as an over-travel stop, and both have nicely-implemented 3D ti pocket clips for right-handed, tip-up carry only.

Ergos are spot-on considering their two-and-a-half-finger (Bit) and three-finger (BT1705A) grips. Positioning the handles for flipping requires a minimum of fumbling, and there's plenty of relief to comfortably release the lockbars.

Both blades are ground nice and thin behind the edge and came out of the box shaving sharp. Lockup is 100% all around. The Bit has a bright satin finish, while the BT1705A has a gray ceramic coating that resembles a cross between a fine stonewash and a beadblast finish.

Oddly, the Bit is the more expensive of the two at $120.00 compared the BT1705A's $104.00. In my opinion, the prices are reflected in the build quality, finish, and materials, especially given that all that fine attention to big-knife detail has been effectively miniaturized. I highly recommend them both.

36571588656_c33dd1d096_c.jpg

36618085425_8828bfff8f_c.jpg

36571588946_3cd02479c0_c.jpg

36571589056_826a0b79c4_c.jpg

Attention to detail and symmetry is excellent all around. Note how all of the edges are evenly beveled or chamfered. Reminds me of a miniature We Knife.
36571588816_0be4a4c97d_c.jpg

This comparison shot with the popular ZT 0450 shows just how small these guys really are.
36571588526_38493ba8e3_c.jpg

36571588566_b5e2868823_c.jpg

Alongside a few more shrimps.
35808759573_4722910468_c.jpg

Last edited:
This guy had an example that is different than your two knives but same brand as one of them. Did you happen to see anything like this on yours? I'm sure it was just a fluke but figured I'd ask being that they are really new.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Mo2 - I went over both knives with a jeweler's loop and there are no rough spots anywhere. The only cosmetic flaw I was able to find was a very small (~1/8"), subtle dip in the flat grind of the Bit's blade near the edge on the reverse side. I can see it in the reflection when I rock the shiny surface back and forth under a bright light. It's too subtle to show up in a photo, and I can't feel it with my fingers.

Oh, and one more quirk regarding the Bit: The ceramic detent ball track runs right over the "S35VN" etch/stamp on the tang (visible in the forth photo from the top), so you can feel a couple of little bumps when you're closing the blade. At first, I thought it was a rough spot in the pivot, but no; just a less-than-optimal etch placement. It has no discernible affect on the flipping performance, and the detent ball is smoothing it away as it wears in.

Last edited:
What's that funky, fat, hawkbill?

I believe it is a clone of a Sinkevich design called the Parrot. Or maybe it is a real one, I remember it was being extensively cloned at one point.

I am having alot of fun with my Kizer Feist which is also small but a front flipper. There is also the Zieba MS3 which is another small compact flipper.

I am so excited to see designs moving away from "everything must be overbuilt!

Last edited:
Thanks, was able to lookup the clones easily - holy cow, they want $90 for a Ti and "D2" version. I'm sure the real one is pricey but wtf. I dig little knives even if they aren't all that useful usually.

Those are pretty but very stabby like a Kwaiken, I have been looking at a Boker Exskelliber which would be a nice pocket carry & let me try a front flipper.

Back