Two year follow up on my Spyderco PM in 52100

A couple of years ago, I was whining that there were no high carbon steel blades in a modern design, and if anyone could show me one, I’d buy it.

Well, it didn’t take long for someone to tell me to put my money where my mouth was, because the Spyderco Paramilitary with carbon fiber scales and a 52100 blade was available.

And it has been a awe inspiring knife. Today, I used it to cut some landscaping cloth that had been buries for a few years, occasionally plunging the knife into the soil of the flower bed I was landscaping. I spent a few minutes on the bench, and after a few quick swipes on the stone, it’s shaving sharp again.

It does require a little extra care, and the uneven patina is ugly as sin, but this knife just plain works as all knives are intended to be used.

Thanks for the suggestion, all. This one stays with me.

I love classic high carbon steel.
Something about rust and corrosion turning to patina is sooo nice!

A lot of my hand tools from work do that and I like them better than brand new and shiny. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are describing my Opinel #9 in carbon, expect for the uneven patina part.

Great!!!!! 52100 is a really good steel, as you noticed, it takes a nice keen edge with little effort.

I've been using my 52100 Military for a while now. It patinas, but rarely rusts. When it gets ugly enough (every 4-6 months) I use some Flitz and it's shiny steel again. If I look at it in the right light there is some faint etching from the patina's pattern, looks very cool and unique. I rarely get a tiny chip in the edge that sharpens out almost instantly. It's the best working steel I've ever used, and really doesn't rust nearly as bad as I was afraid of when I ordered it.

I have a dumb question. Not being a steel nut I'm curious to know how 52100 compares with say D2 tool steel which I have always been a fan of.

Thoughts?

I have a dumb question. Not being a steel nut I'm curious to know how 52100 compares with say D2 tool steel. Thoughts?
D2 has more carbide, and in micro scan photos, the carbide are typically larger in size and almost oblong plates in orientation. Harder to sharpen for me. But if youbmaintsin your edge on diamond stones, and ceramic sticks (like Spyderco Sharpmaker) not a problem to keep it sharp.

D2, in polished finish, has been pretty much stainless in my pocket knives. It will spot in the right conditions. Bur usually tiny pepper spots, less aggressive than you will get with 1095 in the same environment. In similar pocket carry, I never really had issues with my polished D2 blades, where the 1095 would lightly rust, and take more patina. Pretty darned easy to keep shiny if it has a satin or polished finish.

It is kind of a bear to fully reprofile or regrind when you want to fix an overly thick main bevel....

52100 for me, is about as easy to sharpen as 1095. Holds an edge better, in my experience, and "seems tougher" my experience with 52100 (for the most part) is with Busse's line of knives (and Swamp Rat). They call it Sr101, and their heat treat is really dialed in.

According to impact break tests 52100 is near 30 ft lbs, and D2 is all the way down at 5 ft lbs. Interestingly 1095 and 01 were lower, at 10ft lbs.

Ir has better wear resistance, and toughness than 1095. Should be a tiny less rust aggressive, given similar finishes, than 1095. But it will stain, and patina in similar environments.

52100 is a better choice for large higher impact tools like choppers, or full tang tomahawks etc.

But it also makes splendid user steel in hunters, camp knives and pocket knives too.

D2 does well in pocket knives, and edc/hunting fixed blades. I'd not pick it in harder use blades, though it would probably do fine in most medium sized fixed blades.

Dozier, and others use it for hunters and skinners, and edc sized fixed blades. And they have a great reputation!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are describing my Opinel #9 in carbon, expect for the uneven patina part.

I love my Opinel, but I'd bet a dime on a dollar that Spyderco's 52100 is going to have higher hardness, and much better edge retention. They are easy to get sharp, and easy to get back to sharp after use. I usually have one in my pocket when doing yard work, or multiples when camping.

:) 52100 is a great , very tough steel , but I personally don't feel the need on a folder .

I want a stainless on a folder . Many affordable stainless steels are plenty tough for any folder use IMO .

52100 is most useful on larger fixed blades that might NEED to be very tough for chopping , prying etc .

Cold Steel has some relatively cheap drop forged fixed blades in 52100 . Crappy coatings , but shouldn't break easy ! :cool:

I love my Opinel, but I'd bet a dime on a dollar that Spyderco's 52100 is going to have higher hardness, and much better edge retention. They are easy to get sharp, and easy to get back to sharp after use. I usually have one in my pocket when doing yard work, or multiples when camping.

just fwiw - opinel carbon steel is http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=XC90

XC90 is nice stuff from the standpoint of toughness and edge retention - closer to 1095 than 52100
I'm sure 52100 will hold an edge longer (if both have optimized heat treatments)

52100 is a cleaner steel, with lower P and S, which should make it tougher
there is a reason it's used for good quality bearings

this write up by @Larrin really nails 52100 - if you like a deep dive ; )
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/01/28/history-and-properties-of-52100-steel/

just fwiw - opinel carbon steel is http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=XC90

XC90 is nice stuff from the standpoint of toughness and edge retention - closer to 1095 than 52100
I'm sure 52100 will hold an edge longer (if both have optimized heat treatments)

52100 is a cleaner steel, with lower P and S, which should make it tougher
there is a reason it's used for good quality bearings

this write up by @Larrin really nails 52100 - if you like a deep dive ; )
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/01/28/history-and-properties-of-52100-steel/

I read Larrin's stuff all the time.

I feel like the Opinel carbon steel is runna few points softer than they need to to keep it more durable.

Their stainless seeks a bit harder. Holds an edge a bit longer for me, but still just a delight to sharpen.

Definitely great users.

Back