UCO Stormproof Matches Torture Test

I have been using these matches for a few years now. As far as matches go, they are the best ones I have used.

[video=youtube;wMDITA6WKzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDITA6WKzM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnHwxnLdWlkpvCrfwGoPZ9Q[/video]

I also got the optional waterproof match case. It is pretty well made for being plastic. I did a few mods so it can be secured to your person.

This is the bottom of the case. I took a small piece of 550 and used some epoxy to secure it to the container.

uco3_zps0c7e7478.jpg

Did the same for the top.

uco2_zpsb000ae5b.jpg

The lanyard is attached at the bottom of the case, and runs through the loop on the lid. This keeps the whole package together.

UCOMatchpic_zps6ad722c3.jpg

The case is waterproof as advertised. I chopped a hole in the ice and submerged it for about a half an hour.

UCO1_zps3efccc2e.jpg

Great vid, I have two of the yellow UCO Cases with Matches, They are a great survival item, I put some of the matches and the striker strip in a small plastic bag as well for my mini kit.

Pretty impressive for an inexpensive plastic container. One could always wrap duct tape around it for increased structural integrity, and to have a little extra duct tape on hand.

The UCO container is strong, and it has an O ring to keep out water, If you carry it in a pocket or RuckSack, I don't think there could be an issue with it breaking.

The UCO container is strong, and it has an O ring to keep out water, If you carry it in a pocket or RuckSack, I don't think there could be an issue with it breaking.

Agreed. I have one as well, and it is solid short of doing something stupid with it. But I'm always looking for convenient ways to add a little duck tape to kits. :D

My only problem with these types of matches is that they are kind of like lighting magnesium shavings on fire. Very impressive for a short amount of time, then *poof*. Gone. Do you find the length of burn sufficient? How long do they stay lit?

My only problem with these types of matches is that they are kind of like lighting magnesium shavings on fire. Very impressive for a short amount of time, then *poof*. Gone. Do you find the length of burn sufficient? How long do they stay lit?

I have found them to burn just about as long as a standard strike anywhere match. They work great for lighting shavings and feather sticks.

I prefer the standard diamond strike anywhere match. They seem to burn hotter and not travel up the stick so fast.

I have found them to burn just about as long as a standard strike anywhere match. They work great for lighting shavings and feather sticks.

I'll have to try them out, thanks. The REI ones that I have used are good for about 5 seconds, then poof. It's an intense 5 sec, but still....

They are the best matches I've tried. I've been using them for a couple of years now, and have one of the match safes in my vehicle and in each pack. You can buy the UCO match safes in multiples on that nasty auction site for cheap, then buy the UCO matches to put in them. A little cheaper that way....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

When I was in my early (stupid) twenties, I came upon "windproof" matches. So I lit one. Then I took the deepest breath I could, and gave it all I had. I blew as hard as I could, and for as long as I could, until I finally ran completely out of breath. And then, of course, I naturally started the big inhale—of all the nasty smoke that had accumulated from the match. I was coughing for a week.

I was such a moron back then.

:)

Last edited:
I'll have to try them out, thanks. The REI ones that I have used are good for about 5 seconds, then poof. It's an intense 5 sec, but still....

UCO matches are sold at REI, sure you are not talking about the same matches?

I'll have to check, mine are branded as "REI". The burn intensity and resiliance is good, but the length of burn is not, at least on the ones that I"m trying.

I'll have to check, mine are branded as "REI". The burn intensity and resiliance is good, but the length of burn is not, at least on the ones that I"m trying.

Back